Game 12: Blackhawks vs. Kings : 11/2/2015 @ 7:30PM, CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Great game guys, I don't expect anything different any time we visit Chicago, that place is a house of horrors for our team...no one else has a habit of making us look as pedestrian as we do when we play the Hawks. Glad we still somehow get respect here because 9 times out of 10 your gameplan is absolutely our kryptonite and what makes us look like hot garbage on a sunny summer day :) The amount of breakdowns, odd man breaks and breakaways is always just insane.

Keep weathering those injuries, good luck.

Always seems like a street fight with the Kings. Loved the line brawl, and have no idea how the Hawks scored three in the third against them. A bounce here or there putting the Kings up 3-1 and the game sees a different outcome.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
TT needs to stay in the top six.

Svedberg and Gus are rookie defenseman. TvR is the exception, not the rule. They're inconsistent, but they bring different things. They need to make mistakes at this level in order to grow. I'd much rather them see time than Rundblad/Rozi.

This team is starting three rookie defenseman. Just noticed that.

Garbutt can play. He's got enough skill to be a top six band aid.

This might be the year the rest of the league and their fans realize just how solid Crawford is.

Anisimov is our #2C. Full stop. He's been everything we've hoped and more.

Think Hartman is the odd man out if Hossa is good to go. Seems to be pressing a bit and unsure of what he's supposed to be at this level.

Wow, was reviewing posts before i posted.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

TT must be in top 6, or wasted. I like Sved and Gus, I posted that in game, they are fine, much better than #5. MUCH.

How good as AA been. I was posting stuff the CBJ fan had about AA. I mean I was way way wayyyyyyy wrong on how good Timmo was going to be but I was right about AA being great, he would be great, the haters had no clue. I mean wow is he perfect for Kane. Like others have said, way better than Richards D wise, and more solid on the O side as well, his game will be more consistent. Our #1 and #2 C's are as good as anyone.

Hartman I thought was worst player on the ice, both teams. Looks lost. Tero can play. I think he might make it. He looks close to scoring or doing stuff.
I am not a Dano fan at all. He is bad defensively and seems to float, but I like he has an edge to his game and was pushing and shoving and that's a good sign.
Great win.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Sharp, Odyula, Saad, Ladd, Buff, just to name a few. Shaw is expendable as just about anybody on the team.

None of who (whom?) were traded in the middle of the year. I could be wrong, they could be total pros and not let the trading of one of their friends and teammates that they've known for years upset them. I have no idea.

But I've always thought that the locker room dynamic is something that's important to the front office, which is why they don't trade guys who've been with the team for a while unless it's in the offseason.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It was damn nice to see Crawford outplay Quick once again, jsut like he has done so often before.

Top 10 goalie in the league, pushing top 5 this year. Glad we didn't trade him, where would we be with Darling/Raanta and Saad instead of Crow? Probably where the Ducks are.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I wish people would stop burying Hossa. He looks great out there to me except for one thing, he isn't putting the puck in the net. He is skating fast and well, as always is awesome on the back check, is creating chances, looks solid as usual on the PK. If he physically looked lost I would get demoting him but he looks fine. You don't just demote a guy with nearly 500 goals and 1000 points because he is off to a slow offensive start. Seen Sid Crosby's stats this season? Even in a down year last year Hossa had 22 goals, you think Garbutt is going to get that?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I wish people would stop burying Hossa. He looks great out there to me except for one thing, he isn't putting the puck in the net. He is skating fast and well, as always is awesome on the back check, is creating chances, looks solid as usual on the PK. If he physically looked lost I would get demoting him but he looks fine. You don't just demote a guy with nearly 500 goals and 1000 points because he is off to a slow offensive start. Seen Sid Crosby's stats this season? Even in a down year last year Hossa had 22 goals, you think Garbutt is going to get that?

I agree with all of this. That said, if it makes the lines better by breaking up Toews/Hossa I'm open to it. I doubt it happens though. Hossa is going to be fine.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It was damn nice to see Crawford outplay Quick once again, jsut like he has done so often before.

Top 10 goalie in the league, pushing top 5 this year. Glad we didn't trade him, where would we be with Darling/Raanta and Saad instead of Crow? Probably where the Ducks are.

I'd be watching every Hawks game through the gaps between my fingers if we had kept Saad over Crow. :laugh:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013

He's played a ton of tough minutes for a long time, limiting his minutes to keep him fresher for the playoffs is not a bad idea. Look at how much more effective Brad Richards was in May/June of '15 after after playing 3rd line minutes all year versus May/June of '14 after playing 1st line minutes.

Hossa is still a top 6 forward but Q can't lose sight of the fact that he's 36 years old and has played in the SCF 5 of the last 8 years. Giving AA some of his PK shifts would be a good start.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I thought Hartman was ok for the most part but he made 2 HORRIFIC turnovers at the defensive blue-line that gave the Kings a ton of possession time.

After the second one he was stapled to the bench.

I think he's done for a bit, but frankly, with the level of play Shaw is exhibiting lately, he might get another shot when Q finally gets fed up and scratches #65.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
He's played a ton of tough minutes for a long time, limiting his minutes to keep him fresher for the playoffs is not a bad idea. Look at how much more effective Brad Richards was in May/June of '15 after after playing 3rd line minutes all year versus May/June of '14 after playing 1st line minutes.

Hossa is still a top 6 forward but Q can't lose sight of the fact that he's 36 years old and has played in the SCF 5 of the last 8 years. Giving AA some of his PK shifts would be a good start.

Anisimov has been solid on the PK, wouldn't mind seeing him replace Hossa on the PK. Also wouldn't mind seeing Hossa get some "maintenance days" off here and there. Its just not Hossa, the guy is a machine and wants to play. Its amazing to think he didn't miss one game last season. He is a freak.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County

When he is ready to play again, he should replace Hartman on the 3rd line because I like the way the lines are right now. I still think he is an above average player offensively and very strong defensively. It's about balancing the lines, spreading the talent, and giving Hossa more of a chance to get more room and a talent advantage not be facing the top defensive pair on a regular basis. I believe the saying goes "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Panarin-Toews-Garbutt
Teravainen-Anisimov-Kane
Dano-Kero-Hossa (Hartman while Hossa is out)
Desjardins-Kruger-Shaw

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Id go panarin toews hossa, tt anisimov kane, dano kero tikh, regular fourth line. Panarin has showed enough two way ability to make that a truly dominant two way line with more offensive upside than the saad days.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
When he is ready to play again, he should replace Hartman on the 3rd line because I like the way the lines are right now. I still think he is an above average player offensively and very strong defensively. It's about balancing the lines, spreading the talent, and giving Hossa more of a chance to get more room and a talent advantage not be facing the top defensive pair on a regular basis. I believe the saying goes "don't put all your eggs in one basket".

Panarin-Toews-Garbutt
Teravainen-Anisimov-Kane
Dano-Kero-Hossa (Hartman while Hossa is out)
Desjardins-Kruger-Shaw

I am more concerned with getting Hossa some confidence. Not sure if playing with 2 kids is going to do that. That being said, I just don't see Q putting Hossa on a bottom 2 line anyway.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Finally watched the third period just now, and boy was I surprised. After reading some of the comments made yesterday, I saw a very good final frame (and overall game) from:
- Of course Kane, as expected.... and what is with the physicality? I counted 3 hits from 88 and 2 of them were more than excuse me's
- 86, 15 and 88 looked solid as a unit
- as did 72, 19 with Garbutt
- 11 had his best game of the season as far as I'm concerned... just couldn't buy a goal
- 43 also had a fine game. Folks need to look past the awkwardness and focus on the results with this guy
- I like Gus so far
- Garbutt had another strong game

This was the Hawk team I was hoping we'd see with all the new faces. Let's hope that continues Wednesday and going forward.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I thought Hartman was ok for the most part but he made 2 HORRIFIC turnovers at the defensive blue-line that gave the Kings a ton of possession time.

After the second one he was stapled to the bench.

I think he's done for a bit, but frankly, with the level of play Shaw is exhibiting lately, he might get another shot when Q finally gets fed up and scratches #65.

Gustafsson had a really bad one too where he was in the far corner with his back to the slot and tried to go through the legs to Kruger when he should have chipped it up the wall on his backhand into the neutral zone for the safe play. Kid, it's your second game in the NHL and Q will not stand for avoidable turnovers like that. The only guys I see make that consistently are Dunc and Hammer. Every new D man needs to take a page out of TVR's book and KEEP IT SIMPLE. I like his wheels tho. He's like a 1.25 version of Cummmer.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm not concerned about Hossa's confidence. He's a hall of fame player. This is about balancing the lines and giving Dano a fellow countryman to model his game after and having a veteran, two way presence on the line who happens to be the best defensive winger in the game. Dano has a similar skill set to Saad, so they would be a good combo imo. Let situations/game flow dictate when you flip Hoss/Garbutt. But, I agree that it's probably Hossa that has a preference for who he wants to play with. He and Toews have been on the same line since basically 2009.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I thought Daley had a good game as well.

I know it's only been 2 games, but if Gustafsson continues to play like this, then hopefully Rundblad never plays for the Hawks again. When Keith gets back, just use Sved or Gustaffson as the extra dman, and waive Rundblad.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Gustafsson had a really bad one too where he was in the far corner with his back to the slot and tried to go through the legs to Kruger when he should have chipped it up the wall on his backhand into the neutral zone for the safe play. Kid, it's your second game in the NHL and Q will not stand for avoidable turnovers like that. The only guys I see make that consistently are Dunc and Hammer. Every new D man needs to take a page out of TVR's book and KEEP IT SIMPLE. I like his wheels tho. He's like a 1.25 version of Cummmer.

TVR also threw one up the middle that juuuuust squeaked over the blue line or it would have been BIG trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad