Post-Game Talk: Game 12: Anaheim Ducks vs Pittsburgh Penguins, 7pm PT, BSSC (Ducks lose 2-0, gotta score goals to win games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
They may well just want to force feed him the NHL. It’s a developmental year, in spite of the early success.

I dunno. @CrazyDuck4u has a point that when Carlsson or Z lose the faceoff, then they're immediately defending despite starting in the OZone. If Carlsson doesn't have the energy, then that top line is muted. It's going to be a long and arduous season for the top line if they can't win FOs or develop a tenacity for winning puck battles.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We could have won this game. The team looked slow, listless, and not aggressive. I’m going to go with they’re collectively not healthy.

Gibby puts up a 0.971 sv % and we are shutout with the loss. It's kinda sad. I hope it's just a flu bug that affect a few players, which affects the rest of the team play.

A couple of bad habits reappeared in this game. Mac being too aggressive in the OZone to become a trailer again. Odd man rush that left Fowler pointing to the puck carrier rather than engage and close the gap on the puck carrier. Did I mention seeing odd man rushes? Gibby saved our asses out there. Z was mostly muted in this game. Our PP was muted.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I dunno. @CrazyDuck4u has a point that when Carlsson or Z lose the faceoff, then they're immediately defending despite starting in the OZone. If Carlsson doesn't have the energy, then that top line is muted. It's going to be a long and arduous season for the top line if they can't win FOs or develop a tenacity for winning puck battles.
I’m not disagreeing. I think that’s taking a toll on Terry and Zegras’ production as much or more than anything else. But I’m not convinced that they’re not going to keep making him improve.

Zegras has also been hit garbage taking faceoffs. I think wing play isn’t helping that faceoff %

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Gibby puts up a 0.971 sv % and we are shutout with the loss. It's kinda sad. I hope it's just a flu bug that affect a few players, which affects the rest of the team play.

A couple of bad habits reappeared in this game. Mac being too aggressive in the OZone to become a trailer again. Odd man rush that left Fowler pointing to the puck carrier rather than engage and close the gap on the puck carrier. Did I mention seeing odd man rushes? Gibby saved our asses out there. Z was mostly muted in this game. Our PP was muted.
Z has been in a lot of games this year.. He needs to start producing..

Gibby played great today.... Im not going to take that from him. But the goal that went in.. Was because he was swimming again.. Everytime they crash his crease.. He starts swimming and does spins and shit.. He needs to stop that...

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
Pens played good.
We were a bit in La la land
Terrible passing
Many lost battles
Bad puck luck all around. Just found pens sticks and stayed off ours.
Gibby great, except that goal he gave up

Last edited:

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Tough loss. Kinda played like they did when they won games but didn’t pull off the late game heroics. Can’t always rely on that if you want to be a good team.

PP continues to look absolutely awful. A average PP can get you a goal in a game like today but when you have the power kill that Anaheim has, its just a momentum killer.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Gibby played great today.... Im not going to take that from him. But the goal that went in.. Was because he was swimming again.. Everytime they crash his crease.. He starts swimming and does spins and shit.. He needs to stop that...

That's fine. One goal let in, but what about all the odd-men rushes that he stopped? The goal allowed was an odd-man rush too, btw. He stopped 34 out of 35 shots, keeping us in the game. He helped the PK stay perfect.

Are you that focused on his one miscue that you missed all of his spectacular saves the rest of the game? If that's so, when where you're fanatical ripping on our offense? Did the offense do anything? Nope. Not one damned goal to help out Gibby, even when a backup came into the game, the offense couldn't get one damned goal to even earn a point. The team had 3 PP opportunities and still nothing.

Angered focus on Gibby while going 34 out of 35 is foolish.

Reactions: Emerald Duck
Oct 18, 2011
Z has been in a lot of games this year.. He needs to start producing..

The goal went in because Fowler had zero awareness

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It will be interesting to see how they respond, especially against a weaker team.

I think the only concern I have is if the offense falls off and goals become a luxury. We all remember the last couple of years, especially last season, when we couldn’t score for long stretches.

John

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not to sound like a lip reader, but in the 3rd period Leo was heavy breathing even AFTER the long TV break, just before the faceoff. Next to him were players who seemed more or less fine. Looked like dude is gassed, hope it's the extra training related.

Overall that "top" line is not working. Too soft and too sloppy, no matter how exciting they are together. There is just no results. I hope it gets mixed with Rico's line a bit, good opportunity to push Killorn up, IMO

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I’d really like to see Zegras and terry split, they both need an offensive minded grinder to do the dirty work.

Put zegras Carlson Killorn and Henrique with terry silf or jokes.

Try that for 5 games and if that doesn’t click better I’d consider breaking up Mac’s line.

Mac always had good chemistry with terry and another 2 way player.

Reactions: Kalv

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
That's fine. One goal let in, but what about all the odd-men rushes that he stopped? The goal allowed was an odd-man rush too, btw. He stopped 34 out of 35 shots, keeping us in the game. He helped the PK stay perfect.

Are you that focused on his one miscue that you missed all of his spectacular saves the rest of the game? If that's so, when where you're fanatical ripping on our offense? Did the offense do anything? Nope. Not one damned goal to help out Gibby, even when a backup came into the game, the offense couldn't get one damned goal to even earn a point. The team had 3 PP opportunities and still nothing.

Angered focus on Gibby while going 34 out of 35 is foolish.
Gibson was great, but it doesn't have to be black or white. It's OK to acknowledge that he was great but also note that the goal he allowed wasn't good. There doesn't have to be blame assigned to the goalie or the offense, either. A balanced assessment would be that the goalie was outstanding tonight despite letting in a soft goal. The offense had chances but couldn't put anything in the net. No scapegoat required.

Reactions: branmuffin17

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
Man, Gibson could have stopped 59-60 shots and some of you would still blame Gibson for not scoring a goal. He's gotten 11 goals of support in total. Dude would have vezina caliber numbers if he had a positive W-L record with 3 shutouts already.

If this is the Gibson the ducks are going to get every game. They will definitely win more games then lose

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Not to sound like a lip reader, but in the 3rd period Leo was heavy breathing even AFTER the long TV break, just before the faceoff. Next to him were players who seemed more or less fine. Looked like dude is gassed, hope it's the extra training related.

Overall that "top" line is not working. Too soft and too sloppy, no matter how exciting they are together. There is just no results. I hope it gets mixed with Rico's line a bit, good opportunity to push Killorn up, IMO

There's been multiple times where that line crosses the blue line 3 strong and they all just pull up, nobody driving the center or going in deep and it leads to no offense because the trailing forwards can just catch up and neutralize it. As fun as that lines potential is they need someone to do the dirty work.

Reactions: Kalv

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA
Yeah I’m ready to break up the 3rd line in order to get more out of Zegras, Carlsson and Terry. That 3rd line is looking great, but I don’t want to keep them together for chemistry sake, at the expense of the guys who should be our top scorers. The first line with those three is just too one dimensional.

Reactions: lwvs84

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I would not breakup Carlsson and Terry. If nothing else Terry is the only one shooting on that line not to mention scoring.

Drop Zegras to third line center to hopefully get him going. Right now he is a shell of his old self. If he continues on this path he’ll become Sonny Milano 2.0; albeit a much overpaid version.

John

ducks8

Mar 27, 2009
Riverside CA
I would not breakup Carlsson and Terry. If nothing else Terry is the only one shooting on that line not to mention scoring.

Drop Zegras to third line center to hopefully get him going. Right now he is a shell of his old self. If he continues on this path he’ll become Sonny Milano 2.0; albeit a much overpaid version.

John
I'd love to see Zegras with Killorn. Think that could be a good combo. Would give the Ducks 3 scoring lines

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I fell asleep between periods two and three and I'm disappointed we couldn't take advantage of the goalie change. Pittsburgh was doing a nice job limiting dangerous shots.

Reactions: AngelDuck

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Didn't see anyone post the stat cards...

1699463569058.png

I would like to start seeing some consistency in the order of effectiveness, as it stands our players are flip-flopping between good and bad nights, though amazingly I think Strome and Vatrano are pretty regularly near the top, with McT struggling a bit more this game?

Reactions: robbieboy3686
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad