GDT: Game #12 • Dallas Stars @ Edmonton Oilers • Nov 05 2022 • 2:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Mountains to climb are the best challenge though and why even first round wins in 97 and 98 over Dallas and Colorado were revered Rocky Mountains to climb. People that grew up within cap hockey which has been here since 2005 won't follow what a climb that was. You do. Loved those clubs. Ulanov was interesting too.
Yeah, pre - cap hockey had it's own challenges, felt good to beat a financial superior team. (Little bit like soccer often felt..)
Let's call Igor Ulanov what he was, a tank on skates who missed the big hit more than once and looked really out of position. :laugh: Still loved that guy, hockey fandom can be weird, lol.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, pre - cap hockey had it's own challenges, felt good to beat a financial superior team. (Little bit like soccer often felt..)
Let's call Igor Ulanov what he was, a tank on skates who missed the big hit more than once and looked really out of position. :laugh: Still loved that guy, hockey fandom can be weird, lol.
I got the bug too. I always loved players that were fearless and would be up for anything. Igor fit that playbill. A throwback.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Lol Kostin. You guys are lost.

I’ll dip out of this argument.

And why not give him a shot in Yam / Pulju’s spot of absolute nothing? He’s played in the NHL.

Why are people so defensive about these two players? Each have had a hot stretch or two each and have been utterly useless while being zoomed most of their play time otherwise (Pulju now on the third line, but McLeod isn’t chopped liver).

They’re both virtually worthless extra forward level players at this time

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lol Kostin. You guys are lost.

I’ll dip out of this argument.
You have basically no understanding of a player that has been given an endless chance (Yamamoto) vs one that shows promise and brings other intangibles (like Kostin)

Fwiw my first take on Kostin was yawn but then I did the research on the player. The guy has some mitts and he uses them several ways. At the very least with Kostin patrolling our topsix guys like Drai eat less punishment and they have back up. Kostin can finish some stuff. In the net or otherwise. He's worthwhile. At least with him theres potential upside of finding a rough gem. Theres zero of that with baked Yams.

And why not give him a shot in Yam / Pulju’s spot of absolute nothing? He’s played in the NHL.

Why are people so defensive about these two players? Each have had a hot stretch or two each and have been utterly useless while being zoomed most of their play time otherwise (Pulju now on the third line, but McLeod isn’t chopped liver).

They’re both virtually worthless extra forward level players at this time
McLeod is already bettter than either but so much so we need him in bottomsix or Nuge. One or the other. I'm on the Pulju + Yams are poor Drai Turkey sides now.

I'm here for the zingers.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
You have basically no understanding of a player that has been given an endless chance (Yamamoto) vs one that shows promise and brings other intangibles (like Kostin)

Fwiw my first take on Kostin was yawn but then I did the research on the player. The guy has some mitts and he uses them several ways. At the very least with Kostin patrolling our topsix guys like Drai eat less punishment and they have back up. Kostin can finish some stuff. In the net or otherwise. He's worthwhile. At least with him theres potential upside of finding a rough gem. Theres zero of that with baked Yams.

Kostin scored a goal in tight last night that only a handful of players on this team could score, and certainly not JP or Yamamoto. Yes, it was the AHL, but I doubt either of those two stone hands would score those sorts of goals in the AHL either.

I could see him being a 15-15-30 with size and speed, which is more than can be said for either of the other two at their current levels of offensive play.

Janmark’s assist on Philp’s goal was silky smooth and even Philp’s goal, while ‘easy’, was in the blue paint.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

McLeod is already bettter than either but so much so we need him in bottomsix or Nuge. One or the other. I'm on the Pulju + Yams are poor Drai Turkey sides now.

I'm here for the zingers.
Lol interesting. I think I understand promise. What has Kostin done to show he has promise to out perform a 20 goal scorer in the NHL? Get a couple goals in the AHL? Stop traffic.

Look if you are saying trade yams for the cap space and replace him with one of these guys then I’m listening. To flat out think these AHL/NHL bubble players are better than yams is pure wishful thinking.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Lol interesting. I think I understand promise. What has Kostin done to show he has promise to out perform a 20 goal scorer in the NHL? Get a couple goals in the AHL? Stop traffic.

Look if you are saying trade yams for the cap space and replace him with one of these guys then I’m listening. To flat out think these AHL/NHL bubble players are better than yams is pure wishful thinking.

I don’t think Holland trades Yamamoto or JP unless one of two things occur by the deadline:

1. They produce at a replacement level the whole time.
2. A defenceman that Holland has set his sights on becomes available at a non-devastating price.
3. Bourgault eats up the AHL.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Its a cap league. Its why I even preferred a player like Virtanen at low cost vs baked Yams at considerable cost. "better" is a nebulous concept. The question is which player can offer more in terms of filling needs relative to a cap structured reality.

People say well Yams is extra value on pk. I don't feel he does even that very well.

Kostin was a 31st pick by an org that won a SC recently and is better at drafting than this one. The only reason Kostin didn't find GP traction in the Blues lineup is they were loaded up with forwards.

Yama was GIFTED a forward position in an org bereft of wingers. Any horseshit like Khaira was seeing topsix action here in a scorched earth Chiarelli battlefield. Kostin had the opposite situation of trying to beat out legit NHL vets and only getting injury fill moments primarily. Not sure how people deduce from that theres no potential in a Kostin. Holland was right to take a look and pull him in. It will serve dividends.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Tennessee v Georgia football game should be a huge one, shitty part about a day game on a Saturday during college football season.

Unbeaten SEC teams this late in the season, should be an awesome game.

Only will get 30 mins of it though and PVR the rest as an Oiler game comes first.

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Tennessee v Georgia football game should be a huge one, shitty part about a day game on a Saturday during college football season.

Unbeaten SEC teams this late in the season, should be an awesome game.

Only will get 30 mins of it though and PVR the rest as an Oiler game comes first.
Go Vols! And hoping that our game isn’t another a Saturday afternoon snooze fest like the last one. Let’s go boys.

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Go Vols! And hoping that our game isn’t another a Saturday afternoon snooze fest like the last one. Let’s go boys.

They’ve come out of nowhere this year and now #1 ranked against #3 ranked Georgia.

I love watching SEC football.

Tennessee wasn’t even ranked to start the season and now #1 ranked heading into a hostile environment against the Bulldogs. The Georgia D can absolutely bang, they are very physical.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I know we don't usually play well on matinee games, but I'm glad for this one to be on early. Going to take adv of the weather here today, 25C and sunny. Will crack a beer and watch in the backyard. Hopefully the result turns out better than the last matinee against the blues.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I really think that once Yams pots one or two things will turn around for him but it needs to happen yesterday because the team has been patient but he’s out of runway.

I think with such a strong group in the top 6 with Mcdavid, Drai, RNH, Hyman and Kane that they should use that 6th spot as a carrot/stick situation. Rotate guys through and give guys the opportunity to take it and run. It’s also a bit of a stick for guys like Yams and JP who have had the defacto first crack because if guys are moving up the lineup or from Bakersfield that means other guys are also moving down the lineup or into the press box.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Octane sniffed my new oilers shirts. He is sad it’s not Arbys or something
1667677455657.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad