GDT: Game 11: Sharks @ Avs, 6PM PDT - Just The Facts Edition #2 - CSN-CA KFOX ‎

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Wait, so Mueller's good again? Just a few games ago I heard people calling him an anchor, but when it comes to this board I guess that type of bipolarness shouldn't surprise me anymore. :)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Wait, so Mueller's good again? Just a few games ago I heard people calling him an anchor, but when it comes to this board I guess that type of bipolarness shouldn't surprise me anymore. :)

The reality is that Mueller's probably going to have games where he is an anchor. Players his age always struggle with consistency. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that Mueller has spells of quality play and spells of absolute garbage play. It comes with the territory of what he is.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The pick made sense if you saw the defensive depth. The Sharks had none that had any top pairing upside. He was the right pick whether armchair scouts like it or not.

That's true, but we also needed a potential impact winger, and Mantha seemed to fit that bill.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011

Well yeah the narrative was something like: Its amazing how good Burns was doing while being handicapped by Mueller.

There are a few plays that stand out where he either chocked or just made an unfortunate decision. However he is a rookie and it is early. Also he hasn't had much of a chance to practice.

hateseed

TentacleGrapeSoda
Aug 3, 2011
Coastal California
Well yeah the narrative was something like: Its amazing how good Burns was doing while being handicapped by Mueller.

There are a few plays that stand out where he either chocked or just made an unfortunate decision. However he is a rookie and it is early. Also he hasn't had much of a chance to practice.

He has had fire in his belly all year, plus superior (which came as a surprise to most of us) skating speed.

Early on, his positioning and decision-making were not always what they could have been. It's not surprising with the defensive coaching they have that he got constant feedback and has improved dramatically in this area in the period since.

I agree with the above that he has and likely will be prone to lapses. But if he can continue at this level and keep improving at what I assess at a high IQ level, he is gonna be great. Already is, considering the issues other have with this same process (some have mentioned Doherty, I might mention *cough* Demers for whom its hard to predict if a top 3 or number 7 defenseman is going to show up any given night, and this has been true for a couple seasons now).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
KKurzCSN 12:06pm via Twitter for iPhone

Brent Burns tells me he considers the post game pizza in Denver "top three in the league." NY also up there #insideraccess

:laugh:

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The reality is that Mueller's probably going to have games where he is an anchor. Players his age always struggle with consistency. It shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that Mueller has spells of quality play and spells of absolute garbage play. It comes with the territory of what he is.

Agreed, his age combined with the fact the defensemen typically have a longer learning curve means he will be more susceptible to inconsistency. Any excuse I can get to rip on this group though, I'm gonna take it. :laugh:

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
But we gave up an additional pick to acquire him. FAIL!!!:sarcasm:

This kid has been impressive, These breaks that he has caught up to have happened at times when the game could have turned. Everyone thought he was the second coming of Vlasic but he has the speed to burn. His scrum work has been incredible. He's feisty in ways that no one talked about here.

Good take and I would concur.

Mueller is quickly learning from the Vlasic school of getting everyone really pissed at you and then jawing them with a **** eating grin. :laugh:

:D

You can say the same thing about most NHL players. Age isn't the determining factor for consistency here. Doesn't just apply to rookies. We have quite a few on the team who are over 30 who have similar stretches..

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You can say the same thing about most NHL players. Age isn't the determining factor for consistency here. Doesn't just apply to rookies. We have quite a few on the team who are over 30 who have similar stretches..

I disagree. You will find the odd one here and there but most veterans play at a consistent level...including the ones here and the ones fans malign with what they perceive as effort issues.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

well to be fair his play IS better after his pressbox time. But some of that is the rest of the team playing better and that translating to less tough situations for the D. Kid's sharp, he's a good'un.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

I'm not sure who thought mueller sucked? He had a game that deserved a benching. He did his time and came back better for it. It's unlikely that he will avoid being a scratch this whole season though.

Irwin on the other hand isn't going to get better. He is what he is. Time to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad