Pre-Game Talk: Game #11: Canucks @ Islanders - Tuesday, Oct 22nd, 2013 - 4PM SNET-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefe88

Jun 20, 2012
Port Coquitlam
I don't know if we need another player discussion thread so I'll just post this here.

I'd like to point out the generally great play of Kevin Bieksa this year. He's got 4 points (4 assists) in 10 games, which puts him on pace for 32 or 33 points. He also leads the team with a +7 rating. The next best rating on the team is +3, which Santorelli, Richardson and Booth all are at. He also leads the team in hits with 22 and is 2nd behind Tanev in blocked shots with 20, which also ranks 17th overall in the league.

I know stats aren't everything but he's also passing the eye test, don't you think? The stats just corroborate that he's doing a bit of everything out there.

NTC aside, it's time to sell high on Bieksa. We've seen this before with him where he plays great one season and stinks it up the next. With the level of Tanev's play plus the fact that we have Corrado waiting in the wings, we should trade him for scoring help as soon as possible. Maybe to Don Cherry's team? :sarcasm:

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
lI8Pwfj.gif

I spent way too much time trying to make this yesterday.

Not enough FUNKY FUTURE GHANDI

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
That Sedin like saucer pace Snepsts put onto Bossy's stick in OT for the winner completely killed our hopes, plus he collided with King Richard on the tying goal to give Bossy a clear shot at the net.

Not saying we weren't outmatched and outgunned but that team was playing way over their heads and almost took game one, we were leading by a goal after two periods in game two as well.

Who knows how that series would have gone if we had taken the first one on Long Island.

Having said all that Snepsts is one of my favorite all time Canuck defenders, he was a monster out there. Him and the Big Bird were the biggest players in the League for a while.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
NTC aside, it's time to sell high on Bieksa. We've seen this before with him where he plays great one season and stinks it up the next. With the level of Tanev's play plus the fact that we have Corrado waiting in the wings, we should trade him for scoring help as soon as possible. Maybe to Don Cherry's team? :sarcasm:

There is literally no aspect of Bieksa's game that Tanev provides, so not sure how we'd replace him. In fact, Stanton basically proves that we can pick up guys any time who do what Tanev does if our scouting comes through. I like Corrado but his future is still uncertain.

Wolfhard

Jul 7, 2012
BC
There is literally no aspect of Bieksa's game that Tanev provides, so not sure how we'd replace him. In fact, Stanton basically proves that we can pick up guys any time who do what Tanev does if our scouting comes through. I like Corrado but his future is still uncertain.

Stanton proves that our team can actually steal a genuine player off waivers, once every 5-10 years.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
didn't we lose to Kevin Poulin last time

was thinking that Poulin was the next big thing for Islanders goaltending

but like Nilsson, Koskinen, he's been nothing of the sort

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
The boys have every chance to win this game, especially if they play like they did against Pittsburgh (+ a save or 2).

Can't let Bieksa go. Huge team guy, no one else on the backend has his grit or aggressiveness AND he's been creating more chances than everyone besides Hank lately.

Tanevian*

I love how no matter how old the video is you still here Bob Cole making the call.

I was 12 and that is the moment I remember most from the SCF. Nill scoring in Chi and the Fraser/Plett? fight too.

Side note, it was the only Canucks Finals that I was sober for. :)

Bob Cole is 80. For his age, he is pretty remarkable still.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Jim Robson is two years younger than Bob Cole.

Jim Robson called it quits in 1999. That's 14 years ago.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
didn't we lose to Kevin Poulin last time

was thinking that Poulin was the next big thing for Islanders goaltending

but like Nilsson, Koskinen, he's been nothing of the sort

we haven't lost to the Isles since Canuck killer Dwayne Roloson was their goalie in 2009-10. I believe we beat Poulin in 2010-11 in a shootout, and we won 4-1 vs. Nabokov in 2011-12.

Poulin was pretty impressive though. 48 saves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad