GDT: Game 11: Blackhawks at Wild : 10/30/2015 @ 7:00PM, CSN | Don't Get Swept Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
so if Hossa is out for a while its time to call up Dano

Dano-JT-Kane
Panarin-AA-TT
garbutt-kero-hartman
thikonov-kruger-shaw

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Darling wasn't great, but he wasn't entirely to blame.

The entire team was sloppy top to bottom. Seemed like they were tired of the '5v5 goals' narrative and put all their focus on the offensive side, left a lot to be desired away from the puck.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Very true, but Kruger is held to a higher standard. It's weird seeing him play like this, but I'm sure he'll be fine.

problem is we have too many 4th liners on this roster.....

I think its time to move shaw up and see if he can spark a new 3rd line..... or if Hossa is out for a while I would not be surprised to see him play 1RW

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Team played sloppy, but I like seeing the offense come alive. Daley had his best game, and being away from Rundblad is a huge reason why. Garbutt also played well again. Hartman meh, Kero OK, TT much better.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Meh.

I feel like if Keith were playing, the Blackhawks would have won this game.

Sucks not to get at least a point, but oh well.

Onward and upward. Offense looked better. Hopefully they destroy the Kings Monday in Chicago.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Come on. It's time to call Dano up.

He wasn't great in the preseason. Okay. Dallas sucked in the preseason and look at them now. Anaheim and Columbus killed it in the preseason and look at them now.

Just at least TRY IT OUT with him in the 1LW spot in a non preseason game. He might kill it out there. You never know. Every 4th line scrub (who is absolutely no threat to score) gets a chance at that spot but not Dano? It's at least time to TRY IT OUT. What do they really have to lose?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well...Toews gets 2 goals on 2 shots and they were not greasy ..but pure shot goals ..nice to see somebody on our team get this type of goal for a change.
.But lest we praise Toews too much,realize he was on for 3 goals against and so finished a net-1 ...to me he and his line were dogging it getting out hustled to shooting position and in getting on lose pucks in the d-zone ...not saying Toews solely responsible for those 3 Minn goals against but he and his line did not support the d-corps well enough defending the zone
.they did not look interested enough except to watch Minn dash around and score...Do good on Toews he at least mitigated some of the damage but sloppy and lack of hustle and interest defending the d-zone to.help the d-corps and goalie out ...that ain't good at all..Not only him but his wingers were too lazy I the d-zone on those plays...left to fend for themselves by our non-support by the forwards of especially line #1 and line #4 and though they were not burnt...line #2 ...only line #3 in more limited minutes was seemingly interested in helping out the Dmen. .so given that 3 of our 4 lines were not helping much out there,several of our d-mem had rough nights..TVR was not good for large part of this game and Seabrook and Hammer too did not have good efforts...and since Darling the last line of defense did not bail them out enough in the crucial grade A chances Minn generated...well 5 goals against was an indicator we had no right to be as close in score but well behind in Corsi and offensive zone time...so really not a good game by us....but there were a few positives. ..Liked line #3 with Kero and when TT was with him ...Liked Gustafsson...much better puck movement with up passes on the tape to start the attacks ...I thought line #2 was up and down..Had some horrible no hustle no energy shifts trapped in our d-zone...also too many meh shifts of invisible play..but a few shifts were they did come alive to at least present danger even if it amounted to little..Very uneven game from them..As I said line #1 was bad except for 1 shift where Toes scored in ES and Toews also was good on the shorty goal shifts..While Hossa was I in the game line #1 stunk.
.I think it moved better cover g the ice after Hossa went out..Still while shot perfection tonight by Toews was welcome ...only 2 shots to get 2 goals is not enough shots by a $10.5 million investment..Need more domination than that.
Maybe if he got off six shots he would have 6 goals..after all this was Dubnyk not some in your head wall like Hutchinson or Varlamov or Smith or the Wall DE JOUR ...but I do not just single out Toews for what should have been a better effort.despute his 2 goals even if they only helped the cosmetics ..the fact is too many on our team took too many shifts off tonight ..and THAT was why we lost the game ...An uneven effort.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Darling wasn't great, but he wasn't entirely to blame.

The entire team was sloppy top to bottom. Seemed like they were tired of the '5v5 goals' narrative and put all their focus on the offensive side, left a lot to be desired away from the puck.

I was at the game and he just was not tracking the puck well. While we lost I actually think there were some positives from tonight.

Good:
- TT was more engaged and I thought he played well with Toews/Garbutt
- AA/AP played well and hard
- Our D was fine minus Svedberg
- Toews was Toews
- Hartman was physical and I thought he was fine
- Kero played fine (might be a 3rd line solution)
- Garbutt got his chances and used his speed well

Bad:
- Hossa got hurt
- Kruger sucked ass again
- Desj played hard but he has the fumbles and he needs to get back to his game
- Svedberg sucked. He is weak and deserved to be benched.
- Kane needs to get going again (was the cause of 1 if not 2 goals)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Well...Toews gets 2 goals on 2 shots and they were not greasy ..but pure shot goals ..nice to see somebody on our team get this type of goal for a change.
.But lest we praise Toews too much,realize he was on for 3 goals against and so finished a net-1 ...to me he and his line were dogging it getting out hustled to shooting position and in getting on lose pucks in the d-zone ...not saying Toews solely responsible for those 3 Minn goals against but he and his line did not support the d-corps well enough defending the zone
.they did not look interested enough except to watch Minn dash around and score...Do good on Toews he at least mitigated some of the damage but sloppy and lack of hustle and interest defending the d-zone to.help the d-corps and goalie out ...that ain't good at all..Not only him but his wingers were too lazy I the d-zone on those plays...left to fend for themselves by our non-support by the forwards of especially line #1 and line #4 and though they were not burnt...line #2 ...only line #3 in more limited minutes was seemingly interested in helping out the Dmen. .so given that 3 of our 4 lines were not helping much out there,several of our d-mem had rough nights..TVR was not good for large part of this game and Seabrook and Hammer too did not have good efforts...and since Darling the last line of defense did not bail them out enough in the crucial grade A chances Minn generated...well 5 goals against was an indicator we had no right to be as close in score but well behind in Corsi and offensive zone time...so really not a good game by us....but there were a few positives. ..Liked line #3 with Kero and when TT was with him ...Liked Gustafsson...much better puck movement with up passes on the tape to start the attacks ...I thought line #2 was up and down..Had some horrible no hustle no energy shifts trapped in our d-zone...also too many meh shifts of invisible play..but a few shifts were they did come alive to at least present danger even if it amounted to little..Very uneven game from them..As I said line #1 was bad except for 1 shift where Toes scored in ES and Toews also was good on the shorty goal shifts..While Hossa was I in the game line #1 stunk.
.I think it moved better cover g the ice after Hossa went out..Still while shot perfection tonight by Toews was welcome ...only 2 shots to get 2 goals is not enough shots by a $10.5 million investment..Need more domination than that.
Maybe if he got off six shots he would have 6 goals..after all this was Dubnyk not some in your head wall like Hutchinson or Varlamov or Smith or the Wall DE JOUR ...but I do not just single out Toews for what should have been a better effort.despute his 2 goals even if they only helped the cosmetics ..the fact is too many on our team took too many shifts off tonight ..and THAT was why we lost the game ...An uneven effort.

Was it accidental, that as soon as they removed Tikhonov, the 1st line lost its matches? Yeah, Tikhonov isn't a 1st line calibre player, but is Garbutt? He does as much (or rather as little) offense as Tikhonov with a way worse 2-way game.

Last edited:

zac

Apr 29, 2009
I'm not sure the neutral zone play could have been any worse. On many of the Minnesota chances/goals, ******** decisions to pinch or race to the boards were made, thus leading to odd-man's or easy zone entries.

I'm trying to remember the last time we looked THAT bad in the neutral zone. The 1st period ending goal and the last in which Seabs whiffed on a pretty easy clear were the backbreakers.

Nice to see Toews show some offense, but that's about the only positive from this game.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Gustafsson looked good .... he skates well, seems mobile

so much better than Runbad

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Fwiw, Dubnyk stinks, and I love that the Wild locked him up for six years. For anyone (here or elsewhere) to rate Dubnyk higher than Crawford is farcical.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I was at the game and he just was not tracking the puck well. While we lost I actually think there were some positives from tonight.

Good:
- TT was more engaged and I thought he played well with Toews/Garbutt
- AA/AP played well and hard
- Our D was fine minus Svedberg
- Toews was Toews
- Hartman was physical and I thought he was fine
- Kero played fine (might be a 3rd line solution)
- Garbutt got his chances and used his speed well

Bad:
- Hossa got hurt
- Kruger sucked ass again
- Desj played hard but he has the fumbles and he needs to get back to his game
- Svedberg sucked. He is weak and deserved to be benched.
- Kane needs to get going again (was the cause of 1 if not 2 goals)

There was a lot more bad than that. Darling was not at his best but he was left on his own all night long - it could have been a lot worse. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the Wild scoring chances were probably more than the Hawk team would normally allow in 3 games, not 3 periods. Of the 25 shots against Darling, I'd venture to say that 17 or 18 were from point blank range and 2 goals scored in the first minute of period one and period two will kill any team. The mistakes made by Hawks were too numerous to mention..... let's move on.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Last night was a horrible goaltending performance. I don't know what is up with Scotty lately but he is flying all over the crease.
He needs to stop trying to be aggressive and just stay in his crease.
I haven't been comfortable with his play all season, and last night was even worse.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
There was a lot more bad than that. Darling was not at his best but he was left on his own all night long - it could have been a lot worse. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that the Wild scoring chances were probably more than the Hawk team would normally allow in 3 games, not 3 periods. Of the 25 shots against Darling, I'd venture to say that 17 or 18 were from point blank range and 2 goals scored in the first minute of period one and period two will kill any team. The mistakes made by Hawks were too numerous to mention..... let's move on.

I mentioned it in the comments above that (in reference to Darling).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Last night was a horrible goaltending performance. I don't know what is up with Scotty lately but he is flying all over the crease.
He needs to stop trying to be aggressive and just stay in his crease.
I haven't been comfortable with his play all season, and last night was even worse.

You are wrong about the aggressiveness. If Darling sits back in his crease to far he is the same as Dubynk.

Goal 1: Bad (for sure wants that back)
Goal 2: He played right and got across as fast as he could (this goal is Kane's fault).
Goal 3:Screen shot. Svedberg being a puss caused this goal.
Goal 4: He was 3-4 inches too deep in the net and normally has this.
Goal 5: He made the first save on this and Garbut/TT did not get a stick on the trailing player.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You are wrong about the aggressiveness. If Darling sits back in his crease to far he is the same as Dubynk.

Goal 1: Bad (for sure wants that back)
Goal 2: He played right and got across as fast as he could (this goal is Kane's fault).
Goal 3:Screen shot. Svedberg being a puss caused this goal.
Goal 4: He was 3-4 inches too deep in the net and normally has this.
Goal 5: He made the first save on this and Garbut/TT did not get a stick on the trailing player.

Pretty much, right on.

I only considered goal 1 to be bad though... because it beat him on the short side - the poor defensive coverage on Zucker was a sign of things to come. It's near impossible to get a beat on such a spinarama shot,, but Darling left those few inches on the short side and that was enough. Goal 4 was another shot from close in (which was typical all night long) that Darling got a piece of, but not enough. He almost made a spectacular save on goal 5 but it just wasn't his night, or the teams.

BobbyJet

Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Come on. It's time to call Dano up.

He wasn't great in the preseason. Okay. Dallas sucked in the preseason and look at them now. Anaheim and Columbus killed it in the preseason and look at them now.

Just at least TRY IT OUT with him in the 1LW spot in a non preseason game. He might kill it out there. You never know. Every 4th line scrub (who is absolutely no threat to score) gets a chance at that spot but not Dano? It's at least time to TRY IT OUT. What do they really have to lose?

Hawks are not generally a team to gift a 20 year old a starting spot. Dano had a good long look in pre-season and didn't earn a spot. Now he must earn it in RFD. Be patient. He is off to a pretty good start there (points wise) and needs to learn the Hawk system. He will be up but he needs to be ready when he gets the call.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Darling is alway over aggressive and putting himself out of position. He is just so big that he can usually stick out some part of his body and recover. He needs to settle down in the crease.

Many of those goals were stoppable last night.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Darling is alway over aggressive and putting himself out of position. He is just so big that he can usually stick out some part of his body and recover. He needs to settle down in the crease.

Many of those goals were stoppable last night.

No. Your analysis is wrong. Darling is normal very under control and typically navigates the crease in an efficient manner. 2 of the goals he normally has and the other 3 were defensive breakdowns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad