GDT: Game #10 Sharks @ Stars - Army of Darkness Edition - 12:00 PM PDT CSN-CA KFOX

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
we need to start picking up some loser points at least.

im over stalock. lets try dell or whoever else is down there

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Exactly, every turnover can't be an automatic goal.. You need your Goalie to bail you out.
This is a team that started weak on the blue line. While forward depth is good, the number of youngsters playing make it tough on both sides of the line. Goal appears remarkably strong but we go nowhere this year with a great goalie and nothing else going.

With health we can get past the first round in the playoffs. Without health in the regular season, we won't make the playoffs even if Patrick Roy is playing.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Stalock is definitely being thrown under the bus getting fed to these strong offenses, but he hasn't played well in either start

He seemed to really have tightened up in the third period, but the GWG was a softy that he let trickle past and he never seems to be in position after a save

Threemi was in fine form, Dallas' strategy to just score 4 goals is either ridiculous or brilliant

Fiddler's goal shouldn't have counted, the Sharks should have had a PP for Roussel's blatant interference; NHL officiating in the midseason swing of things

Joel Ward continues to be the Sharks' best forward, Paul Martin the best defender, so at least there's that

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
Joel Ward continues to be the Sharks' best forward, Paul Martin the best defender, so at least there's that
That's been part of the problem recently. Joel Ward is currently leading the team in points, which should not be the case on a team with as much offensive firepower as the Sharks. You see players like Carter and Toffoli carrying the Kings, Benn and Seguin with the Stars, etc. We don't have a guy like that stepping up. Ward has been amazing, but in no way should he be our best forward most nights like he has been.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
That's been part of the problem recently. Joel Ward is currently leading the team in points, which should not be the case on a team with as much offensive firepower as the Sharks. You see players like Carter and Toffoli carrying the Kings, Benn and Seguin with the Stars, etc. We don't have a guy like that stepping up. Ward has been amazing, but in no way should he be our best forward most nights like he has been.

I think that will improve once Couture gets back. It is also important to consider that Ward was on the top PP unit today as well, when you put complementary pieces like Ward with our top guys, they will get points, like today. I also think it important that we are talking about a small sample size as well.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
The Sharks have lost 2 close games against very good teams, it's not all doom and gloom. In fact, with Jones in net I think we win this game.

With the excessive amount of NHL-caliber goalies in the league, I think it is time for Wilson to start exploring a trade to replace Stalock as the back-up. He just is not getting it done.

The amount of obstruction that is being permitted is atrocious.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
I think that will improve once Couture gets back. It is also important to consider that Ward was on the top PP unit today as well, when you put complementary pieces like Ward with our top guys, they will get points, like today. I also think it important that we are talking about a small sample size as well.

I agree that it's a small sample size and that we've lost to some good teams. The team has looked much better with Martin back even when we've lost. (Even smaller sample size.)

Our upcoming schedule is pretty easy, so I think we should do better (in terms of winning games since Couture's been out) even without Couture:

11/1 @Colorado
11/3 CBJ
11/5 Florida
11/7 Ducks
11/10 NYI
11/13 @Detroit
11/14 @Buffalo (ugh)*

11/17 @Boston
11/19 @Philly
11/21 @Pitts
11/22 @CBJ
11/25 Hawks
11/28 Flames**

12/1 Pens
12/4 @Ducks
12/5 TBL

*Earliest date Couture projected back, exactly 4 weeks after surgery
** Latest date Couture projected back, exactly 6 weeks after surgery

With that schedule, we need to stay at least at .500 IMO. It's doable, even though Couture is important to the team. Picking up a few loser points in the losses would help as well.

ETA: Great GDT, as always, KD. Sorry I didn't post earlier.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
I agree that it's a small sample size and that we've lost to some good teams. The team has looked much better with Martin back even when we've lost. (Even smaller sample size.)

It just sucks losing is all, but you are right, at least we hung with two of best teams right now. I am really glad Dallas got moved to the Central considering how they improved the last couple seasons.

With that schedule, we need to stay at least at .500 IMO. It's doable, even though Couture is important to the team. Picking up a few loser points in the losses would help as well.

I think that is really important. Just looking four ahead, I think the team should be able to handle Colorado, Columbus, and Anaheim right now; I expect Florida to be bit of an issue considering that Luongo has played well against us recently.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Should have known there would be a hissy fit about stalock again from the usual suspects. Doesn't matter that he only let in one goal he should have stopped. It's all his fault. ****ing typical.

On a positive note, hertl has been looking really good lately, I feel the points have to start flowing for him soon if he keeps his play up.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Should have known there would be a hissy fit about stalock again from the usual suspects. Doesn't matter that he only let in one goal he should have stopped. It's all his fault. ****ing typical.

On a positive note, hertl has been looking really good lately, I feel the points have to start flowing for him soon if he keeps his play up.

This is my problem right now. I admit, Stalock for the most part is average, but what do you want from a back up. My point earlier is there seems to be a double standard. I know Jones is better, but I feel like whenever Stalock plays he is the sole reason why the Sharks lost. Let's forget Burn's crap effort today, or the turnovers, or the penalties, etc. Let's just focus on the goaltender who I thought played better than the Islander night. To say he should be kicked off the team is way way too harsh. If you expect the back up goaltender to be better than your starter, than that's just dumb.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Stalock is definitely being thrown under the bus getting fed to these strong offenses, but he hasn't played well in either start

If that's the case, there are plenty of players in the AHL that would love to be thrown under the bus.

I don't believe that is the case though. This is the third year in the NHL for Stalock and therefore no possibility of being thrown under the bus. He's not a rookie. By now, it's expected that he faces the best, the worst, and the mediocre teams in the league.

Did Marleau get hurt today?

He played today.

Other than two previous games, he's not earning his full $6M salary. But if Thornton was not playing on the 1st line, the same could be said. However, Marleau is one of the keys for this season's success.

He has to be a consistent scoring threat. Otherwise, it weakens his line and requires he to pick up more defense, but Marleau cannot play defensive winger role. Hence, he's zero goals, one assist, and a minus 1 today.

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
If that's the case, there are plenty of players in the AHL that would love to be thrown under the bus.

I don't believe that is the case though. This is the third year in the NHL for Stalock and therefore no possibility of being thrown under the bus. He's not a rookie.

He's also not the main goaltender either. Sharks have played 10 games, he's only played 2.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I don't believe that is the case though. This is the third year in the NHL for Stalock and therefore no possibility of being thrown under the bus. He's not a rookie.

He's played two games in the span of a month since the season started. The entire nature of being a backup goalie is the unrealistic expectation of 'being ready' when you're sitting on your ass most of the time. Goalies, especially ones like Stalock, rely on having repetition and getting a rhythm. Something that is impossible in the backup role. Chances are you will not be getting much better out of anyone else in the same role and if you do, you'll be replacing him very soon anyway as people love to overemphasize the importance of those limited amount of games they play in.

And you can get thrown under the bus at any point in your career. Marleau is the poster child for being thrown under the bus. It's done year after year by members of this fan base and the media. Same goes for practically every NHL'er to ever play.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
This is my problem right now. I admit, Stalock for the most part is average, but what do you want from a back up. My point earlier is there seems to be a double standard. I know Jones is better, but I feel like whenever Stalock plays he is the sole reason why the Sharks lost. Let's forget Burn's crap effort today, or the turnovers, or the penalties, etc. Let's just focus on the goaltender who I thought played better than the Islander night. To say he should be kicked off the team is way way too harsh. If you expect the back up goaltender to be better than your starter, than that's just dumb.

Oh it's certainly a double standard by certain posters on this board. The game after stalock got torched by nyi, jones had just as bad of a game the next day against nyr and no one was *****ing about it, and crying we need a new starter. Oh well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad