GDT: Game 10: Columbus at New Jersey | 10/27 7PM EDT

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Torts really indicting the team's conditioning. If I'm Jarmo, that's a red flag for next offseason....every player should spend some time in Cbus working their tails off.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
The Jackets do this every year. They start playing really well when they're out of the playoffs and have no pressure on them.

I don't know if they played "well"- although I'm not at criticizing a grinding, ugly road win.

I also don't know if they're out of the playoffs.

And I'm sure they have plenty of pressure on them.

So... wrong on many levels

eljefe72

Jul 28, 2007
Columbus, Ohio
I don't know if they played "well"- although I'm not at criticizing a grinding, ugly road win.

I also don't know if they're out of the playoffs.

And I'm sure they have plenty of pressure on them.

So... wrong on many levels

I thought my sarcasm was blatant enough that I didn't need this: :sarcasm:. Lesson learned.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'm in Nashville and no post game here.... not even on NHL.com.... Tell us more about what Torts said...[/QUOTE

@LoriSchmidt: #CBJ coach John Tortorella: "I'm not saying they're out of shape, but we've got to figure out what happened tonight."

Basically said it was on staff based on what he saw tonight , he pushed them to hard in practice yesterday. Then followed up with , honestly it wasn't a very strenuous practice

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Has been a major issue since team inception. Part of the country club atmosphere. Good to see it getting addressed.

Columbus is a deceptively good restaurant city.

Good post.... I'm familiar with every head coach the CBJ have ever had.... Tortorella is the first experienced SOB that I know of... Other than Hitch and Doug himself..

This Tort guy is a good thing right now and I hope the fans can tolerate him for a year or two, he will win games one way or another...

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Torts really breaks everything down in this presser. FSN actually let it play out and didn't cut away after two questions.

He said it was his fault for practicing with too much tempo and pace yesterday. He said they didn't recover and that was on him. Every time we went to get the puck we were late, he said we were awful. He w\likes Bob's positioning tonight. He was asked again about Wenny and Karlsson, he likes those "kids", he loves teaching the young guys.

We will learn to practice with pace he said. Guys aren't out of shape but basically not where we need to be.

Asked if he liked the outburst. He said, I wouldn't call that an outburst. But he wasn't bashing.

Asked about Joey. He heard today that he was feeling better and on the ice today.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
i just hope this win ends the incredible tone of sarcastic negativism that has dominated this board since the third game of the season. We have a good team and we now have the exact coach we need to drive them to play at their best consistently. I hope we can rally around them. They have a long and steep road to climb but they can do it.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I thought they looked like the Jackets Iwas expecting to see at the start of the year. The 3 shots on goal in the first is way too low, but I thought they grinded it out and played pretty well on D.
Savard and JJ both showed up tonight and of course Bob.

Good game.

Last edited:

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Torts really breaks everything down in this presser. FSN actually let it play out and didn't cut away after two questions.

He said it was his fault for practicing with too much tempo and pace yesterday. He said they didn't recover and that was on him. Every time we went to get the puck we were late, he said we were awful. He w\likes Bob's positioning tonight. He was asked again about Wenny and Karlsson, he likes those "kids", he loves teaching the young guys.

We will learn to practice with pace he said. Guys aren't out of shape but basically not where we need to be.

Asked if he liked the outburst. He said, I wouldn't call that an outburst. But he wasn't bashing.

Asked about Joey. He heard today that he was feeling better and on the ice today.

Thank you for the recap.... and, we do need Joey back... I hope his health or feelings are ok because we need his scoring skill... You get one more chance Joey, make it count..

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
I thought they looked like the Jackets Iwas expecting to see at the start of the year. The 3 shots on goal in the first is way too low, but I thought they grinded it out and played pretty well D.
Savard and JJ both showed up tonight and of course Bob.

Good game.

Lets not forget NJ has traditionally been a defensive 1-0 type team for 15 or 20 years.... Torts coached up this game perfectly....

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Lets not forget NJ has traditionally been a defensive 1-0 type team for 15 or 20 years.... Torts coached up this game perfectly....

Watching on TV, I felt they played a pretty good game. Reading this thread from pg 5 on, it seems a lot of posters viewed it differently. They played almost 180 from how they played under TR. Not too much to complain about really though, they controlled the tempo as much as could be, had fewer turnovers and won the game.

I would like to see them do better on faceoffs and more scoring chances though. I chalk that up to missing Joey. This team with a healthy Joey would be something to see right now.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know if the guys looked slow so much as the puck carriers were having a lot of trouble tonight. Anyone else notice how often the puck would stick and the carrier would overskate it? And the number of times guys fanned on their shots and passes?

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Wennberg is super smart player, but he's becoming a little too predictable. You know he's going to look to pass 99% of the time.

That Clarkson, Campbell, and Bourque line is just a trainwreck :laugh:.

Oh and the Jackets are streaking so that's good.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I'm in Nashville and no post game here.... not even on NHL.com.... Tell us more about what Torts said...

In the future, use the "listen" link next to the score/game info on the Jackets homepage rather than the NHL.com radio link from the Gamecenter game tracker page. They have full postgame (and pregame).

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Good road win!
And i have a question when the last time we was doing no more than 14 sog per game?

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Conditioning - That seems to be a common theme that a new coach says in every sport. Every coach expects something and it's usually not the same as what the prior coach wanted.
That being said a well conditioned team comes from the coach down. I know in past a lot of the guys worked on non-hockey skills in off season (be in boxing, martial arts, etc) which can get a guy in shape but not sure if it gets them in hockey shape.
So again may be something to it, but at same time each new coach has a year to complain about the team he inherited and conditioning usually always comes up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad