Pre-Game Talk: Game 1 | Tuesday 7:30 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

King of the Fall

Aug 26, 2007
My big concern for this series is consistency. We looked dominant in games 1 and 5 but pathetic in games 2 and 6. If it wasn't for Vokoun in game 6 we would of gone to 7. If this team can't consistently play like they did in games 1 and 5 we will lose this series. Anderson is the key to Ottawa's success. He will be a tough goalie to pt 3+ goals up on.

That being said I feel this team is starting to put things together Our PP is solid and I can't see that slowing down. I am predicting this series going 7 though. Also, it seems that Spezza will be back for this series at some point so that will give this team a huge boost we will have to withstand.

I have faith that Vokoun will continue his strong play and that Kennedy and Vitale will be in more games than out.

This series will be great, and I am excited. We just need to not fall into all of Neil's crap too.

CrozJawz*

They have got to jump on them early in game 1. Anderson is capable of shutting down ANYONE and they will not be averaging 4 goals a game against him.

Let's hope that they can enter the offensive zone a little easier against Ottawa, because they looked terrible at times against NY.

They absolutely need to head to Ottawa, up 2-0 because there will be too many distractions up there with the whole Cooke, Karlsson incident. If the Sens have any momentum heading North, the Pens may be in trouble because that crowd will be as pumped up as ever and Neil will be playing right into the WWE mentality.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We should really target karlsson and alfreddson. Finish hard clean checks against them and i garantee we will continue to get powerplays.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Vokoun stole us that last game. I cannot tell you the last time Fleury stole us a playoff game. Maybe Game 6 of the 2009 SCF? These are just Madden's thoughts, but I would be pretty upset.

Vokoun will eventually have a stinker like any goalie has. When he does, then flip back over to the well-rested Fleury.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Madden thinks Byslma is going to start with Fluery, for what that is worth... also England in for Despres

Madden thinks a lot of things that don't end up happening. He's guessing just like everyone else. As far as Engelland vs. Despres, anyone who saw the pairings at practice this morning could infer that. He's not working from insider info there.

I'm also concerned about consistency but both Orpik and Niskanen have either alluded to the Pens not taking the Isles seriously initially or come right out and said that they didn't. They're not going to do the same with the Sens.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I just threw up a little bit

lol. You know that I like Engo, especially when there's idiots like Neil and kassain running around. Although I'd rather see Despres than Nisky.

As for Fleury, I could go either way. If he gets one more chance, either he's going to be lights out, or he's going to choke. If he chokes, he won't play again. Sucks to have to waste one game though. My fear is he plays 'average', and costs us the series.

KiuasWarrior

Mar 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Is it inevitable that Fleury will be the starter soon? I wouldn't mind him getting a start in the series, because knowing DB Vokoun will have a shorter leash than Fleury, with our #1 overall pick Stanley Cup winner sitting on the bench.

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Is it inevitable that Fleury will be the starter soon? I wouldn't mind him getting a start in the series, because knowing DB Vokoun will have a shorter leash than Fleury, with our #1 overall pick Stanley Cup winner sitting on the bench.

These are all things that don't matter. That has nothing to do with now. Right now, TV is a better goalie.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
lol. You know that I like Engo, especially when there's idiots like Neil and kassain running around. Although I'd rather see Despres than Nisky.

As for Fleury, I could go either way. If he gets one more chance, either he's going to be lights out, or he's going to choke. If he chokes, he won't play again. Sucks to have to waste one game though. My fear is he plays 'average', and costs us the series.

I agree with most of this. I understand the rational of playing Engelland in this series. At the same time, in games five and six, Despres played great, and deserves to be in the lineup. Niskanen, in my opinion, was our worst defenceman in the last series and should sit in favor of someone who outperformed him.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Ugh. I hate goalie controversies... I've spent the last 2 seasons laughing at all my Canucks fan friends over theirs. Now I have my own to deal with :cry:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Probably Vokoun, seems kind of hockey 101 to play the hot hand until he cools down. But who knows. Maybe the coaching team and even management is crazy enough to put keeping Fleury as the "Starter" above winning.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I agree with most of this. I understand the rational of playing Engelland in this series. At the same time, in games five and six, Despres played great, and deserves to be in the lineup. Niskanen, in my opinion, was our worst defenceman in the last series and should sit in favor of someone who outperformed him.

I guess his thinking is he absolutely needs a faster guy to pair with Murray, which is why Nisky won't sit. Although I guess Murray could play w/ Letang.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Fleury is visibly broken...I am PRAYING he doesn't touch the ice until TV falters

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Vokoun stole us that last game. I cannot tell you the last time Fleury stole us a playoff game. Maybe Game 6 of the 2009 SCF? These are just Madden's thoughts, but I would be pretty upset.

Vokoun will eventually have a stinker like any goalie has. When he does, then flip back over to the well-rested Fleury.

That's ********. You said it yourself: MAF has not stolen a playoff game for almost half a decade. Vokoun did it last week. How can you in one breathe give TV no rope at all and in the next give MAF enough to hang us for a 4th time?

AccuracyFive

87SidGeno71
May 16, 2012
That's ********. You said it yourself: MAF has not stolen a playoff game for almost half a decade. Vokoun did it last week. How can you in one breathe give TV no rope at all and in the next give MAF enough to hang us for a 4th time?

HCDB. :cry:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I guess his thinking is he absolutely needs a faster guy to pair with Murray, which is why Nisky won't sit. Although I guess Murray could play w/ Letang.

I get wanting to play Murray with a faster guy. Unfortunately, that's not Dan's logic as today in practice Engelland and Murray were paired together.

wopper

Jan 12, 2009
Hopefully DB is trying to keep the Sens from knowing for sure who they will face as that will affect their preparation. Side to side plays on Vokoun vs. making sure to take low quality shots on Fleury so he will knock them in for you.

If Vokoun had looked average or just "good" then there could be an argument for trying to go back to Fleury because of his "ceiling." But Vokoun has looked excellent and done more than we could have asked for. There's no way he gets pulled until he plays an "average" or worse game or B2B.

Unless DB is a complete moron, that is. I'm a little worried.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
A few pluses from round 1.
We played our best hockey at home.
Our special teams were good to great all series minus our PP O-Zone entries which has been a problem since forever.

I like how we match up against the Sens.
Have to be better and more consistent 5on5 and be ready to compete/skate/execute at the drop of the puck.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Would prefer a 7:00pm start but 7:30 isn't awful. Get to a winning start and I hope we see a much better team performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad