GDT: Game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 7:30pm NBCSCA So it begins.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

We're back! In case we have newcomers who aren't familiar with this tradition, please view this thread.

And it's another hot start - SNOG-wise, at least.

Offseason flew by

Been a little preoccupied lately, hockey fell to the back burner on my priorities, but it'll be nice to settle into another 7 months of disappointment with my boys in my favorite color of laundry

SNOG 4-1 VGK

Barabanov

Stone x2, Marshmallow, Theodore

Hilarious

SNOG 4-1 Golden Knights

Vegas: Barbashev, Stone, Eichel, Pietrangelo
Sharks: Eklund

Also, I have an extra ticket for tonight for free if someone wants it. Section 218, Row 1. Send a private message if interested.

Go Sharks?

Congrats @weastern bias and @NewMuzu24 on your respective first SNOGs of the season!

SNOG 2023-10-12 NewMuzu24 weastern bias.jpg

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 12 vs Golden KnightsNewMuzu24, weastern biasVGK 4-1

Rank
2023-24 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
T-1.NewMuzu24, weastern bias1

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
SNOG announcement

We're back! In case we have newcomers who aren't familiar with this tradition, please view this thread.

And it's another hot start - SNOG-wise, at least.

Congrats @weastern bias and @NewMuzu24 on your respective first SNOGs of the season!

View attachment 752153

#
Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 12 vs Golden KnightsNewMuzu24, weastern biasVGK 4-1

Rank
2023-24 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
T-1.NewMuzu24, weastern bias1
Well, first of all I'd like to thank the Academy. . .

*soft, dadly chuckle*

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Now to extend that good play for 60+. 9 new faces in lineup. Compared to like 1 for VGK. Hopefully road trip will make better team bonding.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Just arrived home from the game. So good to be back watching hockey live.
There was some good play in the first half of the game. If Kunin had any luck, we would’ve been ahead 4-0. The defense blocked many shots and the VGK couldn’t connect in the offensive zone. Zadina had a good play to tie it up and the place went nuts. Good stuff.
Then it fell apart. Ugh.

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
First and maybe last visit of the season to the tank for me, lol. Man is it going to be rough watching nothing but soft wingers coast around every night. I would also gladly pay Mario 3.25 to be a 4th line grinder instead of whatever he is now. Also, Zetterlund still stinks.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
LOL do you even watch the games? Because comparing Thrun's performance tonight to Petrecki means you either weren't paying attention or don't understand hockey.

Forreals. I thought Thrun played alright. He's the one guy in the defensive zone who I feel safe about because he makes a lot of good plays whether that's eating the puck or moving it into an area where it won't do damage until he can move the puck out. He needs to work on first steps getting out of the hole though. He also did make some very bad passes in the dzone and his partner didn't seem to support much, I think that was Rutta most of the time.

Offensively, some very nice pinches. The forwards aside from the Hertl line were generally poor at keeping play alive. I think he is progressing from what we saw last year, and that's a good thing to see.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
So, anyone knows if this year's draft top 3 are anywhere as good as this year's top 3? We're not going to be in the playoffs for the next few years so need to be hopeful after losses.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Interesting comment from Steve Valiquette during the intermission of tonight's Rangers-Sabres game: "A lot of teams, they don't believe they can coach offense, they let the players do it, they call it 'the fun zone,' to be in the offensive zone. I look at this as an opportunity to find certain triggers to make plays happen."

Obviously the Sharks are lacking in offensive talent (or if they have that talent it's in some cases past its prime, or it can't be properly utilized because they struggle simply to exit their own damn zone), but I sort of wonder--what with David Quinn being the head coach of the Rangers not that long ago--if Valiquette might be thinking back to his time as Rangers coach, because that quote sort of feels telling of the Sharks' attack since Quinn took over.

It was good with Karlsson running the show--unlike Boughner, Quinn sort of gave Karl free reign, and that was fun and, to a certain extent, successful (at least in terms of Karlsson accumulating points). But I think this season is going to be very interesting and telling in terms of how Quinn coaches the attack, and while it's not ideal missing Couture to start the season, there are definitely some worrying signs already in terms of line combos and strategies, I'm afraid.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Just arrived home from the game. So good to be back watching hockey live.
There was some good play in the first half of the game. If Kunin had any luck, we would’ve been ahead 4-0. The defense blocked many shots and the VGK couldn’t connect in the offensive zone. Zadina had a good play to tie it up and the place went nuts. Good stuff.
Then it fell apart. Ugh.
It’s not luck Kunin is lacking…

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So, anyone knows if this year's draft top 3 are anywhere as good as this year's top 3? We're not going to be in the playoffs for the next few years so need to be hopeful after losses.
There is no Bedard in this draft, but the top end of the draft has lots of defensemen, with a few players of Fantilli, Carlsson level and then a Russian that is at or better then Michkov level.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
Forreals. I thought Thrun played alright. He's the one guy in the defensive zone who I feel safe about because he makes a lot of good plays whether that's eating the puck or moving it into an area where it won't do damage until he can move the puck out. He needs to work on first steps getting out of the hole though. He also did make some very bad passes in the dzone and his partner didn't seem to support much, I think that was Rutta most of the time.

Offensively, some very nice pinches. The forwards aside from the Hertl line were generally poor at keeping play alive. I think he is progressing from what we saw last year, and that's a good thing to see.
The first vegas goal was terrible

Also, Zetterlund still stinks.
He does. And so do the patronizing devil fans who came to this board telling us how he was the second coming of Jesus toews.

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
By the way, for those naysayers that don’t understand what EK65 brought defensively, most of the goals wouldn’t have happened with a steady puck handler in their own zone instead of a bunch of guys panicking while flipping around like fish.
That is true, the best defense is offensive zone possession. And yet they gave up more goals than they scored when Karlsson was on the ice. A lot more. I don't think he was the key to that strategy. For one thing, effective possession is concentrated down low, albeit with movement out high to spread out the D; for another, Karl, like Burns before him was fairly egregious with the frequency of his turnovers out high. Then of course he was among the least effectual in the league at containing an oppenet's rush.

Last edited:
Reactions: coooldude

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The idea that the best defense is keeping the puck out of your end makes sense in theory but we know from puck possession proxies like Corsi that basically every team ends up between having the puck 47% of the time to 52% which is a pretty narrow band. The types of scoring chances you’re conceding matters more which is what makes Karlsson such a defensive liability especially the way he was playing last season.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Meanwhile, I had to explain to my college freshman tonight just who Nostradamus was. *Sigh*
A boring Judas Priest album.

That is true, the best defense is offensive zone possession. And yet they gave up more goals than they scored when Karlsson was on the ice. A lot more. I don't think he was the key to that strategy. For one thing, effective possession is concentrated down low, albeit with movement out high to spread out the D; for another, Karl, like Burns before him was fairly egregious with the frequency of his turnovers out high. Then of course he was among the least effectual in the league at containing an oppenet's rush.
It's hard to keep the puck out of the net when you don't have a goalie protecting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad