Post-Game Talk: | Game #1 | Pens win over Yotes | Zucker and Geno appreciation thread

Zucker:

• Never doubted him

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Doubted him

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I’m lying and I doubted him but won’t admit it

Votes: 12 19.7%
  • Ugene Magic doesn’t care, so he made a new gif

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
One final thought on this one... man... that Rutta signing was a bit unheralded but I REALLY like his game.

It's so nice having some big bodies back there now. It's already evident how second chances are being snuffed out in front. I can't help but be excited about how he and Petry are going to perform the rest of the year.

I'm generally hesitant to endorse signing a guy who is kinda lumbering because I don't want that to be our identity. BUTTT...this is the kinda stuff that wins in the playoffs: defenders who skirt the line of cross checking and tackling people with impunity

It's more of an indictment of the state of officiating vs anything else

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm generally hesitant to endorse signing a guy who is kinda lumbering because I don't want that to be our identity. BUTTT...this is the kinda stuff that wins in the playoffs: defenders who skirt the line of cross checking and tackling people without impunity

It's more of an indictment of the state of officiating vs anything else

I agree.

It's similar to this... I used to be a "we don't need to goon it up to win -- not interested" kinda guy. Pretty hard line, actually. But after years of this team getting it's brains scrambled while the other guy skates away laughing and the refs all shrug... I'm ready for them to exact their pound of flesh, too. I suspect that THIS team might not be allowed to get away with it. But I'm ready to see.

Same with obstruction D-men. Turnabout fair play as far as I'm concerned.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
He's the Antiguentzel.

The plus side is that in a league predicated on speed and potential, he'll probably have a taker at 3 mil per for the duration of his deal.

I don't know about 3 million, but probably 2 million. I am frankly surprised Sullivan tolerates his low IQ game as well as he does. Maybe because he doesn't take many penalties.

I just wish they'd train him to just go to the net if he's going to play a repetitive, simplistic game. He has occasionally done it this preseason. If you're going to just pass it to the point then just bank it off the boards and provide a screen. He curls and passes it then watches the play.

When you have no idea what to do, and you don't have the cajones to go to the net, then this may not be the league for you.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't know about 3 million, but probably 2 million. I am frankly surprised Sullivan tolerates his low IQ game as well as he does. Maybe because he doesn't take many penalties.

I just wish they'd train him to just go to the net if he's going to play a repetitive, simplistic game. He has occasionally done it this preseason. If you're going to just pass it to the point then just bank it off the boards and provide a screen. He curls and passes it then watches the play.

When you have no idea what to do, and you don't have the cajones to go to the net, then this may not be the league for you.

Literally haven't seen him do this once this preseason or yesterday tbh.

Honestly, don't understand why we are harping on Kapanen after last nights game.

Reactions: BigEezyE22

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
I remember him doing it one time, he hit somebody (maybe Petry) with a cross-ice pass and gave them a great look. I think it’s just become an ongoing meme that we have to say Kappy sucks and is soft after every game.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Literally haven't seen him do this once this preseason or yesterday tbh.

Honestly, don't understand why we are harping on Kapanen after last nights game.
peaky-blinders.gif

Didnt have a problem with the forwards last night. I mean some of them were just there, they didnt have a positive or a negative effect on the game.

Only player I really didnt like was POJ.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If he is, could he arrange for 2009 Geno to show up for the playoffs this year?
I'd rather he avoid his initial knee injury, and could he please jump off the bench and knockout Steckel before he clocks Sid's brain? I'd kinda like for them to have 4 cups and Sid a couple more Rockets/Art Ross's/Harts and over 100 more goals and 200/300 points. Like, Sid could potentially be passing Mario this season for Penguins all-time points leader.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Had to DVR the game so late with my thoughts. Happy opener all! This is the first one without my Dad so.... it was a tough day. He used to always ask what the boards were saying when the Pens kicked ass. Lol!

++++ The defensive change was MONSTER. I thought POJ was the only meh. Petry was unreal. These guys are disrupting plays and it's a huge difference in the d-zone. Our d-zone was such an issue. I know it's only the Yotes, but it was the plays I saw that made a difference. I cannot say enough about Petry. SInce they decided to keep the core, I'm glad they got him. I loved Marino but Petry is really really solid.

Especially in front of the net. It felt like bodies were actually taking up space instead of standing/watching. We were hard to beat in the middle.

++++ Sid/G/Letang/Jake/Rusty/etc: I thought these guys were getting older and worse?!?!?!!? Holy heck they looked great. Brought a smile to my face. Jake Guentzel looks even better than ever. I'm blown away.

Geno looked fast in the 1 preseason game I saw. He looked REALLY fast tonight. Really powerful.

- Only negative I have is that 3rd line. Yikes. Early in the game the only zone time the Royes had was when the 3rd line was on the ice.

Man, sorry about your dad, I know it's been something coming, but it'll never be easy. Lost my dad and older brother a couple months apart in 2017 and my younger brother on Father's day 2012. My dad got to pick when he wanted to go, but my two brothers are so much harder to take.

Wish you and the family all the best and my deepest condolences.

P.S. It's okay to still have those conversations with your dad, he'll hear ya.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Yeah, personally I'm fine cutting bait with Kapanen whenever.

golfortennis1

Mar 18, 2022
I honestly love that Sid and Geno and Letang have the element. Yeah sometimes they cross the line, but they're extremely fiery and competitive.

I'll take that any day over a guy with ice water in his veins. Sometimes that's nice on defense or in goal but overall you want your stars to be guys who want to engage physically.

I disagree, for the simple reason that other than some people getting to project their "toughness" through a player as you describe, Crosby et al. missing twelve games with a broken hand because of engaging only helps the opposition.

There's a difference between letting people know you won't be pushed around and what you are describing. That's what 4th liners are for. Let them miss games from mixing up in that stuff. The stars have enough opportunities to get hurt and miss games just through normal play.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Great young player. I don't see a lot of Arizona, but they do have some good players that I'm going to start following. I like Ritchie too. He has some jam/shit stirring to his game. If he produced a bit more offensively he would be really fun to watch.
The biggest issue with Ritchie is you only get the good version once every 10 games. In those games, he looks like he could be a dominant powerforward who can score, hit, and fight, and is practically unmovable from the front of the net. The issue is that guy disappears for the next 10 games and what you get is a slow, lazy big guy that's constantly too late to the play and takes dumb penalties.

Reactions: Gurglesons

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
POJ was a noticeable hot mess. If I noticed, it was really bad because I don't sit and analyze like a lot of you. This is really disappointing because I spent a lot of last year hoping Sully would give him a shot.

This was only one game but it was against a terrible hockey team and he definitely stood out.
Nice looking dog. What breed?

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I'm thrilled you guys are seeing how good Jeff Petry is. He remains one of the best RHDs in the league. Yes, he really is that good. He mentally checks out on occasion, as he did here in Montreal last year, but dials his game into another level when the games matter.

As a Habs fan I'm happy with Matheson for the longer term (even though we just learned he's injured for two months!), but for the next couple of years Petry remains the better player and will give the Pens get the best D they've had in ages. Best of luck!
Early days, but it looks like both teams benefitted from this trade. Enjoy Matheson, and good luck to you, too! I like the the way the St. Louis hire is trending - success for him behind the Habs' bench is a good thing down the line, imo.

Reactions: Lshap

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I disagree, for the simple reason that other than some people getting to project their "toughness" through a player as you describe, Crosby et al. missing twelve games with a broken hand because of engaging only helps the opposition.

There's a difference between letting people know you won't be pushed around and what you are describing. That's what 4th liners are for. Let them miss games from mixing up in that stuff. The stars have enough opportunities to get hurt and miss games just through normal play.
I don't want them fighting but I do enjoy them giving it back when people push them

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The biggest issue with Ritchie is you only get the good version once every 10 games. In those games, he looks like he could be a dominant powerforward who can score, hit, and fight, and is practically unmovable from the front of the net. The issue is that guy disappears for the next 10 games and what you get is a slow, lazy big guy that's constantly too late to the play and takes dumb penalties.

Yeah, that's interesting because he and Keller were the most noticeable to me. My favorite type of hockey player are the Hornqvist types who are constantly involved and any time the camera pans to them their mouths are running. Ritchie was highly engaged in that game, IMO, and I enjoyed watching him.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I agree.

It's similar to this... I used to be a "we don't need to goon it up to win -- not interested" kinda guy. Pretty hard line, actually. But after years of this team getting it's brains scrambled while the other guy skates away laughing and the refs all shrug... I'm ready for them to exact their pound of flesh, too. I suspect that THIS team might not be allowed to get away with it. But I'm ready to see.

I want violence. It's effective. I want to see more roughings and less hooking/holding calls against us. We complain about how it's not gentlemanly but then we lose to it every year. :laugh:

So I'm glad the team finally beat some reason into the GM or coach or whoever was making the "take positional defensemen or die trying!" call.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Obviously the two defensemen were the primary elements of the trade but does Poehling have a long-term future with the Penguins or is he basically NHL-AHL depth?

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I agree.

The league is never going to forgive Mario for the "Garage League" comment.

I still say he should have said "Garbage League" if he was gonna do it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Obviously the two defensemen were the primary elements of the trade but does Poehling have a long-term future with the Penguins or is he basically NHL-AHL depth?

Hard to say on just pre-season and one game but I think the signs point to long-term future. I don't think they plan to send him to the AHL anytime soon.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
He’s going to be the 13th forward when Blueger returns, so yeah, that qualifies as borderline depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad