GDT: Game 1: Montreal Canadiens vs Toronto Maple Leafs 10/11/23- 7:00pm EST SN, TVAS, TSN 690: Season Opener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Did you watch Toronto’s goalie tonight?

Not every team has great goaltending. Average goalies let in bad goals with regularity.

And most teams have a much better D than the Habs do.
True... but Allen's performance tonight was below average imo. 2 very soft goals in one game is a low bar.

He made some very solid saves, true, and faced a lot of shots, true, but his overall play tonight was below average for a starter, imo

Reactions: Runner77 and MXD

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
True... but Allen's performance tonight was below average imo. 2 very soft goals in one game is a low bar.

He made some very solid saves, true, and faced a lot of shots, true, but his overall play tonight was below average for a starter, imo
Allen was also swimming on the ice a lot besides the two obvious bad goals.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
agree with all except Matheson... he was good tonight, not great, but good, maybe even very good.

I've got no issue with him playing 23-25min/night, he's a net positive and easily on par with Reilly tonight...

He is...
But, on a good team, he doesn't play that much.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Disagree. He's top 2 on many rosters, top 3 on most. Was arguably the best D on the ice tonight & the Laffs are a contender

Agree, but the leafs are a contender in large part due to their top heavy forwards so Matheson being better than most or all of their D in one game isn’t exactly saying a lot. :)

Reactions: Skip Bayless

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Imagine giving Pricer 2 goal leads twice in a game.
We did lots of times. And he blew it lots of times too. Just like most goalies, especially with a team defense of our quality.

Later year's Price biggest problem is exactly what happened tonight. We'd fight back or take a lead and he'd let in a softy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Disagree. He's top 2 on many rosters, top 3 on most. Was arguably the best D on the ice tonight & the Laffs are a contender
... The Leafs don't exactly have a high-end defense either.
He's someone I'd rather have anchoring a 2nd pairing facing slightly lesser competition (at the expense of playing with a slightly lesser partner).

It's also not a problem, considering his caphit.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
... The Leafs don't exactly have a high-end defense either.
He's someone I'd rather have anchoring a 2nd pairing facing slightly lesser competition (at the expense of playing with a slightly lesser partner).

It's also not a problem, considering his caphit.
Sure... I'd rather have Crosby or McDavid at 1C & Suzuki anchoring the 2nd line. Not sure that's a Suzuki issue :dunno:

Matheson is a solid asset, that he's our #1D while not being an elite top pairing dman is not his fault. As you point out, he's not paid like one... he provides great value at his cap hit & would be an excellent compliment to an elite #1RD.

Not sure I see the point slagging on him for delivering better impact than his relative cap cost

Reactions: MXD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad