Pre-Game Talk: Game 1: Maple Leafs @ Bruins, May 1, 7:00 ET CBC, CNBC, NESN (Pt 2)

• Thread starter Penalty Kill Icing*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
TSN panel last night stated that in like the last 3-4 years there has only been one sweep, maybe two in the first round (something along those lines). I know my facts aren't all there, but whatever the number was, not many teams get swept.

Go Leafs Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDDIE20*

Well when a team has beat you 9 out of the last 10 times, saying Boston wins in 4 straight isn't out of the question. Let's hope the boys have a little more self respect than that.

True although the Leafs didn't let Boston walk all over them this year. They didn't blow us out of the water like previous years. I think we may be surprised here.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
True although the Leafs didn't let Boston walk all over them this year. They didn't blow us out of the water like previous years. I think we may be surprised here.

I hope so. I'd love to see the city buzzing if we make it out of the first round.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
We need to be continuously solid without focusing our attention on one player. Everyone needs attention but no one is truly elite.

I think the real key to this series is sticking up for Kessel and keeping Chara from rattling him too much.

This is probably the only scenario that makes me miss Komi. His one man war against the Bruins was always entertaining.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
you guys might need that

SwA9adL.gif

The main reason why I think you guys have the edge is because I think you guys are hungrier. B's were handed the 2nd seed on a silver platter for the past 2 weeks and while we were getting creamed by non playoff teams and yet they still fell a point short. B's are doubting themselves and if you can start off strong, I think it'll be easier than you think.

As a hockey fan, this one is going to be a dandy, as a Habs fan...hope to see you in the 2nd round :yo:

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Well when a team has beat you 9 out of the last 10 times, saying Boston wins in 4 straight isn't out of the question. Let's hope the boys have a little more self respect than that.

If they give it their best and lose in 4, then there's no shame in that. You got beat by a better team and that's that. But if they fail to show up and subsequently fail to accomplish anything, then that'll sting a bit but again, keeping positive that even the most awful outcome can provide a learning experience for a young, inexperienced group of players. The players learned lessons from last year's trainwreck and while they weren't perfect this season, you can see the improvements from individuals and the team overall. Hopefully they take all of this as new lessons to be learned.

Penalty Kill Icing*

I LOVE that video clip.

I thought we were doing a lottery ticket system, you mean no one wanted to do it when we were up against Boston? Heck, I'll do them all but I don't have photoshop and everything and y'all love the big huge picture stuff. :) I'm all about texts and quotes and writing amusing diddies.

If you want to go all in, pick up a home game (Game 4 or 6) as they use home team's GDT on playoffs board. If youwant to be on safer side, pick an away game (Game 5).

Yes, I was planning the lottery, but looks like I over-estimated the enthusiasm of Leafs fans because we don't even have enough people signing up for first round itself.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I was talking to some co-workers yesterday and as expected, they are counting for Boston in 4 straight, all the while Ottawa easily taking the Habs series. Go figure.

Sens fans have reason to be optimistic. They match up really well against the Habs and if the regular season is any indication, they hung tough against the Habs all year long and that was with a severely depleted roster. Now getting back many of their key players, they have good reason to be hopeful. If I had to bet, I would put my money on the Habs making it out of the first round however with that series, I wouldn't want to bet at all. The Sens won't be a cake walk and if they were to beat the Habs, I wouldn't be surprised. That series has all the makings to go either way.

EDDIE20*

Sens fans have reason to be optimistic. They match up really well against the Habs and if the regular season is any indication, they hung tough against the Habs all year long and that was with a severely depleted roster. Now getting back many of their key players, they have good reason to be hopeful. If I had to bet, I would put my money on the Habs making it out of the first round however with that series, I wouldn't want to bet at all. The Sens won't be a cake walk and if they were to beat the Habs, I wouldn't be surprised. That series has all the makings to go either way.

Come over here and tell them that. They're already trying to figure out who they'll be facing in the second round. I agree the series is evenly matched.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

I prefer to think of it in the sense that our current roster under our current coach is riding a 2 game unbeaten streak in regulation against Boston, and now we get to play them with the heart and soul of our team back in the lineup in Lupul.

I'm a glass is half full kind of guy. :D

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
I'm not claiming this means anything, but I thought I'd share:

Career Playoff games:

TOR
JVR 39
Lupul 39
Liles 36
Phaneuf 25
O'Byrne 19
Franson 16
Kessel 15
Orr 12
McClement 4
Fraser 1
Bozak 0
Kulemin 0
Kadri 0
MacArthur 0
Grabovski 0
Frattin 0
Komarov 0
McLaren 0
Gunnarsson 0
Kostka 0
Gardiner 0
Reimer 0
Scrivens 0
Total 206

BOS
Jagr 180
Pandolfo 131
Chara 107
Ference 106
Redden 101
Kelly 68
Thornton 67
Lucic 62
Bergeron 61
Krejci 59
Seidenberg 51
Paille 46
Boychuk 45
Peverley 38
Marchand 32
Campbell 32
McQuaid 32
Horton 21
Seguin 20
Rask 13
Caron 2
Soderberg 0
Hamilton 0
Johnson 0
Daugavins 0
Khudobin 0
Total 1274

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I'm not claiming this means anything, but I thought I'd share:

Career Playoff games:

TOR
JVR 39
Lupul 39
Liles 36
Phaneuf 25
O'Byrne 19
Franson 16
Kessel 15
Orr 12
McClement 4
Fraser 1
Bozak 0
Kulemin 0
Kadri 0
MacArthur 0
Grabovski 0
Frattin 0
Komarov 0
McLaren 0
Gunnarsson 0
Kostka 0
Gardiner 0
Reimer 0
Scrivens 0
Total 206

BOS
Jagr 180
Pandolfo 131
Chara 107
Ference 106
Redden 101
Kelly 68
Thornton 67
Lucic 62
Bergeron 61
Krejci 59
Seidenberg 51
Paille 46
Boychuk 45
Peverley 38
Marchand 32
Campbell 32
McQuaid 32
Horton 21
Seguin 20
Rask 13
Caron 2
Soderberg 0
Hamilton 0
Johnson 0
Daugavins 0
Khudobin 0
Total 1274

How kind to remind us that our core has little experience, considering we haven't made the POs for 9 years.

parker171*

Woulda been really cool to have Game 3 at home on Saturday night

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
How kind to remind us that our core has little experience, considering we haven't made the POs for 9 years.

I was curious so I added it all up and when I was done I thought it was worth posting. I'm sure we're all aware that the Leafs core doesn't have playoff experience, but that gives it a bit of context.

And I'm not even convinced it's a good or bad thing for either team. BOS is struggling a bit and needs to "flip the switch" so to speak. Do experienced teams really have an advantage in that regard? Yes, some vet teams can save something for the playoffs, they know when it counts, but I've seen - across multiple sports - just as many vet experienced teams failing to turn it on 'cause they're calm and poised and can't get those juices flowing for the extra gear. They know the dangers of getting too up or too down, but sometimes you need that emotional jolt to get your team turned around and I find vet teams can struggle with that.

Similarly, inexperienced teams go both ways. BOS could go up a gear and just shock the TOR players with the intensity they haven't seen before, we've all seen that plenty where a young team just needs to get a taste of how competitive it is before they learn how to play playoff hockey, but if a young team can harness their nervous energy productively and play with that fearlessness that only naivete brings, they can wreak serious havoc too.

If I had my druthers, I'd lean towards rooting for the experienced team, but it's not a be-all end-all stat by any means.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I was curious so I added it all up and when I was done I thought it was worth posting. I'm sure we're all aware that the Leafs core doesn't have playoff experience, but that gives it a bit of context.

And I'm not even convinced it's a good or bad thing for either team. BOS is struggling a bit and needs to "flip the switch" so to speak. Do experienced teams really have an advantage in that regard? Yes, some vet teams can save something for the playoffs, they know when it counts, but I've seen - across multiple sports - just as many vet experienced teams failing to turn it on 'cause they're calm and poised and can't get those juices flowing for the extra gear. They know the dangers of getting too up or too down, but sometimes you need that emotional jolt to get your team turned around and I find vet teams can struggle with that.

Similarly, inexperienced teams go both ways. BOS could go up a gear and just shock the TOR players with the intensity they haven't seen before, we've all seen that plenty where a young team just needs to get a taste of how competitive it is before they learn how to play playoff hockey, but if a young team can harness their nervous energy productively and play with that fearlessness that only naivete brings, they can wreak serious havoc too.

If I had my druthers, I'd lean towards rooting for the experienced team, but it's not a be-all end-all stat by any means.
It's also worth pointing out that a lot of the young Leafs had long playoff runs last year with the Marlies, which helps. Kadri, Frattin, Gardiner, Colborne, Fraser, Scrivens etc., and Kostka of course ended up winning.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Bozak being healthy is huge...spreading out the scoring over two lines plus having the Grabo and McClement lines is pivotal. I can't wait.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Bozak being healthy is huge...spreading out the scoring over two lines plus having the Grabo and McClement lines is pivotal. I can't wait.

He's healthy? I thought he was having trouble yesterday?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think we'll be surprising a lot of people in Game 1.

I have no doubt the Leafs will get back to playing like they were in the first 15-20 games where they kept pucks out of the net and scored a lot.

Boston doesn't give up many fancy goals so we have to park in front of the net because Rask gives a good amount of rebounds and he sometimes overplays the situation.

We need 3 goals to win. It's as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad