GDT: Game 1: Colorado Avalanche Vs. St. Louis Blues - Quest For the Covid Cup - 8:30 PM MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
The DNVR guys provide some level of entertainment on the podcast, and i'm not trying to judge them to much here and I know they've talked about games... But those guys should probably just stick to World of Warcraft or w/e is the newest time waster.

And instead of 40-50 points, its 40-50 turnovers/plays being killed on his stick

:laugh:

I wonder how often they check in here.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The only reason I listen to DNVR is because there is simply no other Avs podcast available. There is a Colorado Avalanche pod with Chambers but thats not a very good one either and only comes out once every few months or something. The last one was in October 2019. Actually that pod is called traffic in front of the net, and they both just blah, never available

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
:laugh:

I wonder how often they check in here.

Are any of them even on here?

I like Evan, he carries a level of professionalism that the others really do not and it shows.

But ya... Not a fan of reading or listening to most of there content, just a lot of blatant bias towards the Avs, I can handle so much of it and as an Avalanche centric group they're obviously going to display some levels of bias, I just think they take it way too far.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011

I like Evan, he carries a level of professionalism that the others really do not and it shows.

But ya... Not a fan of reading or listening to most of there content, just a lot of blatant bias towards the Avs, I can handle so much of it and as an Avalanche centric group they're obviously going to display some levels of bias, I just think they take it way too far.

Well isn't Evan The Mars Volchenkov?

I could see AJ and the other guy lingering in the HF shadows.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Despite not being a huge fan of DNVR, I have recently started listening to their podcast. I spend most of my day in the car so I love listening to people talk about the Avs. I appreciate the hell out of them doing a podcast almost daily. Anybody who puts that much work into a team that hasn’t played hockey in 4-5 months is someone I appreciate.

I don’t really agree with a lot of their takes on hockey, but I still enjoy listening. I had a hard time listening to AJ talking about how the early season waiver wire is the ideal time to get a 3rd goalie when it’s not even possible unless you carry 3 goalies on your 23 man roster. It also hurts my head when they continuously call the World Junior’s the WJC’s. I understand WJC being used as an abbreviation when writing/typing because it’s so much shorter but actually saying WJC’s takes way longer to say than World Juniors and for some reason that destroys me lol. But when those minor things are what I’m left to complain about it means they’re doing a good job.

Again, unless it’s TMV talking I don’t really take their systems/hockey comprehension to seriously but I still enjoy tuning in and hearing other Avs fans talk Avs.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV

Agreed, Evan holds his own. But Rudolph and AJ alone is like listening to Dater talk to himself.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That’s true, he doesn’t hurt you. But it’s going to be about opportunity cost, what can another player provide in the same role, someone suited better for it like Kaut. The breakout simply isn’t happening here, he’d still have a little runway somewhere else.
As long as Jost has a caphit close to league minimum he's not a problem. If, as @henchman24 said, he can become a reliably good PKer he may stick around, but failing that it's hard to not see how he isn't one of the first names in any trade talks.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Despite not being a huge fan of DNVR, I have recently started listening to their podcast. I spend most of my day in the car so I love listening to people talk about the Avs. I appreciate the hell out of them doing a podcast almost daily. Anybody who puts that much work into a team that hasn’t played hockey in 4-5 months is someone I appreciate.

I don’t really agree with a lot of their takes on hockey, but I still enjoy listening. I had a hard time listening to AJ talking about how the early season waiver wire is the ideal time to get a 3rd goalie when it’s not even possible unless you carry 3 goalies on your 23 man roster. It also hurts my head when they continuously call the World Junior’s the WJC’s. I understand WJC being used as an abbreviation when writing/typing because it’s so much shorter but actually saying WJC’s takes way longer to say than World Juniors and for some reason that destroys me lol. But when those minor things are what I’m left to complain about it means they’re doing a good job.

Again, unless it’s TMV talking I don’t really take their systems/game comprehension to seriously but I still enjoy tuning in and hearing other Avs fans talk Avs.

LOOOOOOL same.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Again, unless it’s TMV talking I don’t really take their systems/game comprehension to seriously but I still enjoy tuning in and hearing other Avs fans talk Avs.
Same here, I'm in my car all the time and I dont listen to music. I listen to all kinds of podcasts, from hockey to other stuff and even if they sound like homers on dnvr, I'm glad there is at least an Avs pod 5 days a week. Also they make some crazy comments like picking Barzal over Rantanen if they did a 2015 redraft

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Agreed, Evan holds his own. But Rudolph and AJ alone is like listening to Dater talk to himself.
For providing a podcast for free every single day I'd say that they do a pretty decent job. In particular I appreciate the highlight compilations they put together on individual players who I otherwise don't see much of.

Reactions: klozge and JLo217

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
As long as Jost has a caphit close to league minimum he's not a problem. If, as @henchman24 said, he can become a reliably good PKer he may stick around, but failing that it's hard to not see how he isn't one of the first names in any trade talks.

The Main Board proposed Logan Brown (picked after Jost) might be available. He has great size, excellent shot, good hands, but average skating.

Maybe swap struggling players?

AvsFanInMichigan

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!”
Apr 16, 2018
Michigan
C6688F2D-AAC0-45FC-8A29-BD8859289424.jpeg
533CC529-B430-42EA-AB5B-FA8E6EB95884.jpeg

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Cap Friendly has it updated but I dont know if thats official or not.

They list O'Connor, Kaut, Bowers, Sherwood, Miska, and Gilbert on the taxi squad.
Presumably Byram will be on the active roster then as the 7D, and we'll roll with 22 players on the active roster to start the season (including Johnson who's not on IR).

Btw, well done to Sherwood for coming in as a completely new guy and establishing himself among that group of forward callups so quickly. He's admittedly only the 16th forward in the depth chart, but he did beat quite a few more established guys for that taxi squad role. I'm curious to see how he does if and when he gets an opportunity. Ditto for Gilbert for that matter; it'll be fun to see him bring some extra snarl to the lineup at times in the event that we ever have 2-3 injuries at the same time on the back end.

Reactions: missionAvs

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The DNVR folks do a fine job.

Saying that they don’t know hockey is harsh imo. We all have some takes that are wrong sometimes. Honestly, there aren’t as many negative things to say about the Avs these days. The roster is the best it’s been in a long time, so analysis of it might seem ‘homerish’, but the reality is the Avalanche have some of the top players in the league. They have a damn good team. So, when the Avs are talked about, that comes across in the analysis.

I just like listening/reading Avs talk in general, so I don’t want to discourage it. I watch the games and arrive at my own opinion of what I think of each individual player and their performance. I mostly just like to hear different perspectives.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The Main Board proposed Logan Brown (picked after Jost) might be available. He has great size, excellent shot, good hands, but average skating.

The dude has just 1 goal in 29 career games, all with a bad team where he was afforded plenty of offensive opportunities. Needless to say, it's hard to see how he'd come into a much stronger and deeper team and make an impact, particularly as he's of the boom-or-bust type of forwards who don't really fit in a bottom 6 role very well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Why? Jost may struggle offensively relative to his draft expectations but he’s still better than Brown offensively while being significantly better defensively.

Jost’s a highly impactful NHL player. He learned to adapt his game about 2 years ago into being better away from the puck and has gotten substantially better in the last year. I’ll never understand why people want to remove that depth from our organization for nothing. If we can use Jost to upgrade elsewhere, go for it! Otherwise let’s take advantage of having a guy who would be a middle 6 forward on 25+ other rosters on our 4th line.

Reactions: Richard88

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Presumably Byram will be on the active roster then as the 7D, and we'll roll with 22 players on the active roster to start the season (including Johnson who's not on IR).

Btw, well done to Sherwood for coming in as a completely new guy and establishing himself among that group of forward callups so quickly. He's admittedly only the 16th forward in the depth chart, but he did beat quite a few more established guys for that taxi squad role. I'm curious to see how he does if and when he gets an opportunity. Ditto for Gilbert for that matter; it'll be fun to see him bring some extra snarl to the lineup at times in the event that we ever have 2-3 injuries at the same time on the back end.
Baugh actually pointed to it and Bednar mentioned it yesterday that Byram is not on either roster because in quarantine. He’s not technically cleared to be on NHL roster or taxi squad. They may bump someone off taxi squad for him as I bet Avs only want to roll 21 to bank cap space.

Sherwood is from Columbus, I’m sure that factors in somehow. He was getting a look day 1 with how they indicated lines.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Timmins is the 7th D and Byram has been designated to the AHL for now.

They may carry 8D, or they may put Byram into the Taxi Squad first, or they may put EJ on the IR depending on whatever it is going on with him.

If they can avoid running 8D I think they should though, accure as much cap space as we can while we can for whatever deadline plans they want to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad