Post-Game Talk: Game: 1 Caps vs. Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bags92

Jan 2, 2010
Rochester, New York
All things considered I thought 27 was ok. Was his usual no-show offensively and in transition but did a reasonable job in his own zone. I guess I'd give it one more game but just looking at the TOI allocation I'd consider removing Orpik if he struggles again. His minutes were already cut quite a bit tonight.

Orlov: 25:22
Niskanen: 24:36
Shattenkirk: 22:00
Carlson: 19:27
Alzner: 18:52
Orpik: 16:38

I thought the top 3 were all outstanding tonight. You get what you get with Alzner and I'm totally okay with that. Carlson looked slugish but I'm hoping that was just some rust from missing the last four of the regular season. Again, the idea of throwing in Schmidt for Orpik to keep up with the Leafs speed is intriguing to me.

Bourdon

Mar 20, 2007
I thought Backstrom was Backstrom. Oshie, too. Ovechkin was a burden on that line.

I put the start on Trotz.

Something I've noticed all season is that Ovy doesn't have that same half step any more, which makes him ineffective on his off wing, at least on even strength. I think Kuz's speed will make defenders back off, which allows Ovy to be more effective, but moving forward, he'll need to make a change to RW to remain effective even strength.

Still hate Oates though.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I really hope we see 19 and 92 flipped soon. Those combo's were dynamic before and I just have never once liked the 8 - 19 - 77 line. I get they want to have a "power" line but its just not a good mesh of skills.

Backstrom and Oshie had great seasons and compliment each other very well IMO. I wouldn't want to split them up. Obviously Ovechkin didn't have a great season but I'm really not sure how much more can really be expected of him at this point in time. Some sure but realistically I don't ever see him being all that more productive regardless of who he is playing with.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I thought the top 3 were all outstanding tonight. You get what you get with Alzner and I'm totally okay with that. Carlson looked slugish but I'm hoping that was just some rust from missing the last four of the regular season. Again, the idea of throwing in Schmidt for Orpik to keep up with the Leafs speed is intriguing to me.

Carlson must still be injured IMO and one more poor game from him should lead to a scratch. Players tend to look lazy and sluggish when they are injured. He's a high ceiling player but right now he's simply ineffective.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Man, the turn around on Orlov from Trotz is incredible. This time last year he was lookin' to get sat for Chorney.
He had the lively legs going at times, too. I was curious if his skating or decision-making would hold him back at all and it didn't. That's big.

I'd also like to get Schmidt in but doubt they do it unless maybe they're open to resting Carlson or something. It's likely going to take an injury to get him in the lineup and that's a shame.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
All things considered I thought 27 was ok. Was his usual no-show offensively and in transition but did a reasonable job in his own zone. I guess I'd give it one more game but just looking at the TOI allocation I'd consider removing Orpik if he struggles again. His minutes were already cut quite a bit tonight.

Orlov: 25:22
Niskanen: 24:36
Shattenkirk: 22:00
Carlson: 19:27
Alzner: 18:52
Orpik: 16:38

wow, how far Alzner and Carlson have fallen. it was not long time ago they were our best d-men who didn't unlock their potential yet :shakehead on other hand, good for orlov improving and sticking to his game

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm going to give the Caps credit for coming back and winning that game. Yes I know going down 2-0 is considered inexcusable by many around here but it is hockey and it happens. They didn't panic, showed a lot of composure, and came back and pulled it out. Sure I would have preferred a better start but they were able to overcome it and get the win. Given that this team never seems to start well after a layoff I'll take it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I watching the game at a bww with no sound. They seemed to come out disjointed. They have up awkward looking goals and then they shut them down. I didn't expect the caps A game after layoff. They won. 15 more to go.
Division winners Montreal lost. Edmonton lost. Chicago lost. The Caps won. Next please

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
No joy in mudville tonight I guess. You all seem so unhappy.

What's to be happy about? We eked out a win after spotting the team we should dominate 2 goals. I don't see that as great indicator that this team has learned anything from their history of playoff failure.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What's to be happy about? We eked out a win after spotting the team we should dominate 2 goals. I don't see that as great indicator that this team has learned anything from their history of playoff failure.

In playoffs what matters is win your game. They won. Chicago lost. So, what do you have to be happy about? A W. And the satisfaction of Tom Wilson ruining their day.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Man the main board is terrible. Definitely staying out of that mess and letting other fan bases call the Leafs fans a bunch of whiners

Seriously. I hope we sweep them so we only have to deal with this for 3 more games. Man they are completely delusional.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Come on dude...talk about jaded fandom. A win in the playoffs is a win. They played poorly against a game opponent after a little layoff and WON. As the game wore on, they carried the play. PLENTY to be happy about tonight and feel positive about heading into game 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad