Post-Game Talk: Game 1: Caps v. Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
That being said all they have to do is win three more games. And that's been the problem all this time. They can't win four games out of seven.

Caps also won game one against new York. This is a good message to send. But keep the pressure on. Win game two and three. Settle business and don't leave the door open.

I know the Caps are the Caps, but this team is just...so much different than past teams.

Also as I said in the series thread. Round 2 is where I expect some of the old-time Caps players swagger to lose a little luster. That's the wall for everyone on the whole team (coach included). I am not concerned about this series at all...that being said, I was furious they couldn't bury a few more chance last night to give me some peace of mind...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Guessing they didn't like Schmidt in this one given the physicality, and would probably swap him for Weber in game two.

Schmidt had a big hit. Not sure it was that. Think it was his pk time for orpik that got his shifts off. Orlov didnt play much either6

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I saw Richards take a hit up high from Schenn and Wilson wanted to retaliate but Richards stopped Wilson from sticking up for him. Smart vets make a big, big difference.

Which I would suggest is a reason it's useful to have Wilson paired with someone like Richards, potentially, just like Kuzy and Bura with Williams.

I can't say I saw the third line get any real offensive opportunities at all. Trotz's logic that the third line can add offence because Chimmer and Mojo having had 20 and 17-goal seasons each means nothing if they all came paired with more offensively-capable players than Richards. Richards game is probably more suited to Winnick's and Wilson's - both of whom have been offensively useful on his line, and I think sometimes making sure all three members of a line go at roughly the same speed can be useful or else they're not always in position together to capitalise.

Of course if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it does concern me that we didn't seem to have many great ES opportunities, and both our goals came without our ES lines.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Richards and last night, as usual, he played really well. Consistency is one of the things he adds a lot to this team. Just not points...

On the plus side, Mojo's defensive game is one of the things I think has improve considerably this season. It can be shaky, for sure, but he seems more aggressive and tactically switched on, including improved board play. And he's certainly a much better fit with grinders than Burakovsky was, although the latter's phsyical play has also improved a great deal.

Nights like last night show why this team can go through funks - it's not actually about being offensively switched on, but about being completely focussed and 'sticking to the script'. Give nothing away, capitalise on their mistakes. I think having so many great PKers (that's eight of our 12 forwards) helps with this a lot during ES shifts.

Edit: is it typical that two thirds of a team's forwards regularly PK?

amin723

Mar 11, 2010
Goodyear, AZ
Which I would suggest is a reason it's useful to have Wilson paired with someone like Richards, potentially, just like Kuzy and Bura with Williams.

I can't say I saw the third line get any real offensive opportunities at all. Trotz's logic that the third line can add offence because Chimmer and Mojo having had 20 and 17-goal seasons each means nothing if they all came paired with more offensively-capable players than Richards. Richards game is probably more suited to Winnick's and Wilson's - both of whom have been offensively useful on his line, and I think sometimes making sure all three members of a line go at roughly the same speed can be useful or else they're not always in position together to capitalise.

Of course if it ain't broke don't fix it, but it does concern me that we didn't seem to have many great ES opportunities, and both our goals came without our ES lines.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Richards and last night, as usual, he played really well. Consistency is one of the things he adds a lot to this team. Just not points...

On the plus side, Mojo's defensive game is one of the things I think has improve considerably this season. It can be shaky, for sure, but he seems more aggressive and tactically switched on, including improved board play. And he's certainly a much better fit with grinders than Burakovsky was, although the latter's phsyical play has also improved a great deal.

Nights like last night show why this team can go through funks - it's not actually about being offensively switched on, but about being completely focussed and 'sticking to the script'. Give nothing away, capitalise on their mistakes. I think having so many great PKers (that's eight of our 12 forwards) helps with this a lot during ES shifts.

Edit: is it typical that two thirds of a team's forwards regularly PK?

I think you underestimate just how important this game was for the mentality of the Flyers. I would expect Game 2 to open up a bit more in the Caps favor, and for them to dig in their heels in Games 3 and 4.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Remember that the dynamic may have changed significantly with the Couturier injury. If he's done for the series that can make life even more difficult for the Flyers. I don't know about the CAPS feed as I was stuck with the flyers but they showed a lot of videos of the flyers forwards in pain on the bench. I don't remember them doing that to any of the CAPS.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I think you underestimate just how important this game was for the mentality of the Flyers. I would expect Game 2 to open up a bit more in the Caps favor, and for them to dig in their heels in Games 3 and 4.

Actually, I think there's a good chance the flyers will come out a lot tighter next game than they did this one. I think they're the inferior team, but they the ones who came out last night:

• Off the back of a hot streak
  • Thinking the caps are a weaker team than their statistics suggested
  • Believing winding up Wilson and co would lead to good things
  • With nothing to lose. Now they're down a game, it won't take them long to find that 'elimination mode' again

Whereas I worry the caps risk becoming complacent if things go too well. The "entitled to nothing" motto reflects a very real issue this team has had this year - not quite making it when they think they have it under control.

Certainly, a 'we're good as we are, keep on and it'll get easier' attitude does no one any good at all.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Remember that the dynamic may have changed significantly with the Couturier injury. If he's done for the series that can make life even more difficult for the Flyers. I don't know about the CAPS feed as I was stuck with the flyers but they showed a lot of videos of the flyers forwards in pain on the bench. I don't remember them doing that to any of the CAPS.
Couturier is done for the series, AC Joint Separation. Flyers had planned on Giroux matched up to Backstrom/top line. This should free up the second line unless Flyers change that up.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
The Flyers' plan is to put Schenn at center against Kuznetsov. Schenn can't contain Kuzy, we have a huge advantage here.

Schenn can't contain his own shadow, one of the reasons he was moved to wing awhile ago. Playing C comes with a great deal of responsibility, including vision and IQ, and instincts, esp when facing top competition. He doesn't have that, his turnovers , bad decision making and lack of instincts, have been an issue for the whole 5 yrs he's been in Philly. He doesn't have the shutdown ability you need to go against top lines. Playing at wing with Giroux and getting PP time , big body at the net, getting body part deflection goals, he's fine at. When he's outmatched, which happens alot, he does that dive bomb hitting thing, where he launches himself at somebody.

Couturier's loss is huge, this year w/o him the FLyers were 3-13. he's very smart, has great instincts, vision and reads the ice well in every zone, and the PK will suffer as well. He just does so many things well, you can't replace all of that.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Schenn can't contain his own shadow, one of the reasons he was moved to wing awhile ago. Playing C comes with a great deal of responsibility, including vision and IQ, and instincts, esp when facing top competition. He doesn't have that, his turnovers , bad decision making and lack of instincts, have been an issue for the whole 5 yrs he's been in Philly. He doesn't have the shutdown ability you need to go against top lines. Playing at wing with Giroux and getting PP time , big body at the net, getting body part deflection goals, he's fine at. When he's outmatched, which happens alot, he does that dive bomb hitting thing, where he launches himself at somebody.

Couturier's loss is huge, this year w/o him the FLyers were 3-13. he's very smart, has great instincts, vision and reads the ice well in every zone, and the PK will suffer as well. He just does so many things well, you can't replace all of that.

Aren't you being a bit harsh on Schenn? He's not close to being as good as Couturier defensively, but he has better scoring instincts, doesn't he?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Aren't you being a bit harsh on Schenn? He's not close to being as good as Couturier defensively, but he has better scoring instincts, doesn't he?

For me, he's a one dimensional player, he can score and hit. But lacks in most other areas.

Yes, he can score goals, esp on the PP and when playing wing w/ Giroux or other top end players. He is a very physical player and provides that in the offensive zone. However, for me, scoring is only 1 part of what makes a player elite, top 6, a game changer.
He lacks in most other areas, esp the neutral zone and defending his own end. Inability to protect himself or the puck that leads to costly turnovers or goals, inability to make the right decision that leads to turnovers, and until mid Jan, for the last 4 and 1/2 yrs, very inconsistent, disappearing for long stretches, inability to elevate his game when needed. He's been in the league 5 yrs, it's a part of who he is and given Hexy made a comment in Jan (like he did last summer when he signed Cooter to a LTC and not Schenn) he still wasn't signing him, part of his 'elevated play' down the stretch is for a contract. Just don't see it in Philly. The 5M plus he wants , i think will be ticketed elsewhere.

Again, his offensive game is fine, esp near the net on PP, as long as he's with finishers, like Giroux, for example. But now, when he'll be called upon to 'step up' , to be that complete player, you'll see the flaws.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For me, he's a one dimensional player, he can score and hit. But lacks in most other areas.

Yes, he can score goals, esp on the PP and when playing wing w/ Giroux or other top end players. He is a very physical player and provides that in the offensive zone. However, for me, scoring is only 1 part of what makes a player elite, top 6, a game changer.
He lacks in most other areas, esp the neutral zone and defending his own end. Inability to protect himself or the puck that leads to costly turnovers or goals, inability to make the right decision that leads to turnovers, and until mid Jan, for the last 4 and 1/2 yrs, very inconsistent, disappearing for long stretches, inability to elevate his game when needed. He's been in the league 5 yrs, it's a part of who he is and given Hexy made a comment in Jan (like he did last summer when he signed Cooter to a LTC and not Schenn) he still wasn't signing him, part of his 'elevated play' down the stretch is for a contract. Just don't see it in Philly. The 5M plus he wants , i think will be ticketed elsewhere.

Again, his offensive game is fine, esp near the net on PP, as long as he's with finishers, like Giroux, for example. But now, when he'll be called upon to 'step up' , to be that complete player, you'll see the flaws.

Scoring and hitting are two different aspects of the game, so he's not a one dimensional player ala Kessel who only knows how to score. Schenn is a good top 6 option, but matching him against Kuznetsov at ES is throwing him to the wolves.

Kuznetsov was 3rd in the league in ES points, behind only Kane and Crosby. The Flyers should consider matching Kuznetsov with a more defensive player than Schenn and let Schenn be on a scoring line.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I'm really impressed by Schenn. Gritty game from him. Would love to have him on the Caps truth be told.

The Caps play better when the other team lights their fire. The Caps will certainly not try to even the score and let any player get into their heads ala Wilson vs Islanders last year.

Let Schenn run around and do stuff like that as it will promote the Caps finishing their own checks harder against the smaller Flyers.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Randoms

Ghost looked like a little sentry methodically reporting back to the bench on the Beagle goal :laugh:

Alzner needs to be more prepared at the end of games. I would love to see him throw a hit target a Schenn vs get crushed but we all know that is not happening. All players need to be aware when Shenn Simmonds and crew are on the ice.

While we dominated them, it was scoreless / 1 goal much of the way, before the gifworthy Ghost gift. We need to start padding leads otherwise we start losing some on bad bounces. There is a fine line between dominating and coin flips.

I am taking the little tyke to Kettler this morning. Maybe the lets go caps guy will be there awkwardly cheering an optional practice.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm really impressed by Schenn. Gritty game from him. Would love to have him on the Caps truth be told.

The Caps play better when the other team lights their fire. The Caps will certainly not try to even the score and let any player get into their heads ala Wilson vs Islanders last year.

Let Schenn run around and do stuff like that as it will promote the Caps finishing their own checks harder against the smaller Flyers.

Really? I thought he played more of a gutless puke/Matt Cooke type game. Matt Martin, he is not. If he keeps it up, he's gonna get beat up by Tom Wilson again, and cede a bunch of momentum to the Caps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
All this just Kuzy talk. Time for him to put some,things on the scoring part of,the score sheet. Even if it's just assists.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Really? I thought he played more of a gutless puke/Matt Cooke type game. Matt Martin, he is not. If he keeps it up, he's gonna get beat up by Tom Wilson again, and cede a bunch of momentum to the Caps.

Alot of folks would call Dale Hunter a gutless puke. In fact he was probably the #1 all time gutless puke. But I loved him as a player.

Matt Cooke too. Obviously these guys cross the line ALOT but thats what happens when you play with such a high intensity edge.

So yeah I really liked how Schenn played in terms of mindset. He got fortunate he got away with a couple but I'd rather a player err on the side of aggression personally.

Randoms

Ghost looked like a little sentry methodically reporting back to the bench on the Beagle goal :laugh:

Under Trotz I notice we do effectively "Mike Green Strategy" the other team's best offensive dmen well. Last year it was Vishnovsky and then Yandle. Vish got hammered alot even before the injury. Yandle was noticably played scared.

Ghost looked tenative last night. Maybe thats just nerves but it does seem that our strategy plays a part in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad