GDT: Game #1: Blackhawks @ Blues / First Ever (maybe??) Video GDT

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm a bit worried this "we need 70 hits" (close to impossible) strategy Hitch is employing destroys our offense. Seems like it plays into the Blackhawks hands. I've seen this movie before. What do you folks make of this?

If we have 70 hits on Friday, that means we haven't had the puck all game. I hope this is just Hitch misdirection??? (I don't think so given game 1). Someone tell me I should not be worried and we need to focus on being this physical to win. Please.

(and I get not wanting to give the Hawks space and to be physical, but the focus on it is throwing me off).

Hitchcock was just trolling Chicago with that statement. Its just little mind games.

As much as the Blackhawks have been able to win against physical teams on their past runs, its not a magic formula if they can't get they're little counterattack rushes ever going. The Blues are giving them almost nothing.

I don't understand the recent threads on here dissecting phrases Hitchcock says. He's not divulging his strategy in the press conferences. He's just messing around and planting quotes for yucks.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I'm a bit worried this "we need 70 hits" (close to impossible) strategy Hitch is employing destroys our offense. Seems like it plays into the Blackhawks hands. I've seen this movie before. What do you folks make of this?

If we have 70 hits on Friday, that means we haven't had the puck all game. I hope this is just Hitch misdirection??? (I don't think so given game 1). Someone tell me I should not be worried and we need to focus on being this physical to win. Please.

(and I get not wanting to give the Hawks space and to be physical, but the focus on it is throwing me off).

As 2MM has suggested, it might just be Hitch trolling the Hawks. If not, then perhaps his plan in this series is to beat the Hawks by playing them the way LA plays them, since LA is the only team that's been able to beat them.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Obviously you have to score goals to win but I'm actually glad to hear that. Kane, Keith, Panarin etc absolutely need to get hit a lot.

Plus, Armstrong spends a lot of time talking about being a heavy team, so you might as well use it when it counts.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Just posting this because why not:

Fabbri fights thru a cross check from Hjalmarsson, bit of interference from Hossa, then goes to work on Rozsival.

Big Time

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou

Fabbri fights thru a cross check from Hjalmarsson, bit of interference from Hossa, then goes to work on Rozsival.

Big Time

Loved that hit by the little guy. Fabbri could add a few more pounds and he can potentially play 1st line minutes with Vladdy next season.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I was thinking about Fabbri. I saw him bump Kane as well, and of course the beauty on Rozsival.

I think it shows how well Fabbri takes coaching. Its apparent that there was a team strategy to really try to finish checks on the Hawks defenders. To apply physical pressure. Fabbri isn't a big hitter, but he followed the game plan. Knocking Rozsival out of the game, especially after that dirty take-down on Upshall, was one of the game highlights.

I love watching this kid play, and can't wait for his first playoff goal. I bet he gets it before Panarin gets one.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Hitchcock was just trolling Chicago with that statement. Its just little mind games.

As much as the Blackhawks have been able to win against physical teams on their past runs, its not a magic formula if they can't get they're little counterattack rushes ever going. The Blues are giving them almost nothing.

I don't understand the recent threads on here dissecting phrases Hitchcock says. He's not divulging his strategy in the press conferences. He's just messing around and planting quotes for yucks.

As 2MM has suggested, it might just be Hitch trolling the Hawks. If not, then perhaps his plan in this series is to beat the Hawks by playing them the way LA plays them, since LA is the only team that's been able to beat them.

Fair enough. I heard JR and others in the media taking his word rather seriously (while acknowledging 70 is impossible). I'm reading Chicago media and they're eating it up. Same old Blues etc.

So I'm all for a Hitch troll. Certainly makes more sense. I've grown gullible. I just want to see better offense and puck control from the blues on Friday. Moose isn't Parayko. (See what I did there)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Big Time

Beautiful hit.

I loved Fabbri's game last night. Yeah the turnover but whatever, he's a rookie and was physical and easily one of our most dangerous forwards in the offensive zone last night. He's a big-time player and looks like he ramps his game up when the stakes are high. If he can continue playing like this I'll be even more thrilled with him.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Fabbri almost scored one last night off the drop pass from Stastny. Just barely missed the top corner. If he just fine tunes his shot a little more, he's going to be a force in the league. I'm excited to see him as the series progresses.

Also, Parayko needs to work on his accuracy. He must have missed the net at least 6 times yesterday.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Fair enough. I heard JR and others in the media taking his word rather seriously (while acknowledging 70 is impossible). I'm reading Chicago media and they're eating it up. Same old Blues etc.

So I'm all for a Hitch troll. Certainly makes more sense. I've grown gullible. I just want to see better offense and puck control from the blues on Friday. Moose isn't Parayko. (See what I did there)

I'm pretty surprised that media are latching on to that so readily. In light of his 26 second press conference, I'd say Hitchcock is playing the media like a fiddle right now. He's doing a great job keeping the pressure of the players any more than it has to be.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Beautiful hit.

I loved Fabbri's game last night. Yeah the turnover but whatever, he's a rookie and was physical and easily one of our most dangerous forwards in the offensive zone last night. He's a big-time player and looks like he ramps his game up when the stakes are high. If he can continue playing like this I'll be even more thrilled with him.

Man, was he fun to watch. Kid isn't scared of anyone, I really hope the rest of the team follows his lead (save for the handful of players that didn't play tentative).

For all our bad luck, we sure are lucky to have him.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Loved that hit by the little guy. Fabbri could add a few more pounds and he can potentially play 1st line minutes with Vladdy next season.

I would love to see Fabbri on the first line at some point here in the playoffs if Schwartz can't up his game. He has the same tenacity that Schwartz has, so I don't think there would be an issue. Even with Lehtera being a black hole offensively lately, he's defensively responsible enough to make it worth it.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I would love to see Fabbri on the first line at some point here in the playoffs if Schwartz can't up his game. He has the same tenacity that Schwartz has, so I don't think there would be an issue. Even with Lehtera being a black hole offensively lately, he's defensively responsible enough to make it worth it.

Might as well just move Tarasenko to Stas line for Brouwer then b/c there's nothing wrong with Stas....probably best to just see if Schwartz can figure it out b/c Stas and Fab have legitimate chemistry....hope they keep them together.

In sum, our #1 line right now is Fab-Stas and Brouwer. Tank is a line in and of himself--just as Kane was all those years when they put two passengers with him.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Whoever said that Fabbri looks more like a 5 year pro than he does a 20 year old rookie (I think 2MM) hit the nail on the head. Kid's a gamer and just oozes the "it" factor. I'm really, really excited to see him continue to develop.

On a related note, as crazy at it sounds, I'd like to see the second power play unit become the primary unit. They are so much more dangerous than PP1.

Last edited:

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Many Oilers fans are rooting for a Blues first round exit...theoretically causing an organizational panic in which Parayko gets traded to their team.

One quote:

"I think Parayko is the second coming of Pronger. He has it all. Smooth Skater, nasty, HUGE body, great shot, fantastic gap control, great hands, beauty stick and D-zone presence.
You name a thing you want from a Defender, he has it. His toolkit is similar to a Shea Weber. He just has everything you could want."

In sum, the team that has McDavid wants to snipe Parayko---greedy ********!:)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2063089&page=12

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Many Oilers fans are rooting for a Blues first round exit...causing an organizational panic in which Parayko gets traded to their team.

You are crazy to go read Oilers board what they generally are speaking up. Crazy pills time. :)

I feel bad for either one Pulju or Laine if one of are drafted in Oilers. Leafs or Canes for finnish guys would be right places.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The first rule of playoffs is that information from the locker room is sealed. Injuries are kept quiet. Goalies are announced at the last second. Line changes aren't announced. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Hitch's statements to the media have anything to do with what he is telling the team.

Analyzing his stated game plan is a waste of time. We'll find out the strategy on Friday night.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I thought I posted, but looks like I didn't. IF we cannot improve our giveaways and out play positions, Chicago will walk over next game when there is back Chicago's best transition machine Keith. I'm not sure, but I counted there was ~4 2on1 breakaways to Chicago. Elliott can't save us forever, in some point Chicago will crack him down.

Next game is gonna be huge.

We've change, but damn is this that 'The Year'?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Many Oilers fans are rooting for a Blues first round exit...theoretically causing an organizational panic in which Parayko gets traded to their team.

One quote:

"I think Parayko is the second coming of Pronger. He has it all. Smooth Skater, nasty, HUGE body, great shot, fantastic gap control, great hands, beauty stick and D-zone presence.
You name a thing you want from a Defender, he has it. His toolkit is similar to a Shea Weber. He just has everything you could want."

In sum, the team that has McDavid wants to snipe Parayko---greedy ********!:)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2063089&page=12

There's some silliness in there.

-they are going to offersheet Parayko next year when Stl is in cap hell

-Pietrangelo+ for 1OA

Sillies

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Hitch went further into what he meant by Hits....basically he's not talking about body checks. He wants the Blues to play through the Hawks' checks and that contact is what he considers hits

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hitch went further into what he meant by Hits....basically he's not talking about body checks. He wants the Blues to play through the Hawks' checks and that contact is what he considers hits

Yeah, Hitch references quite well what he was chasing getting '70 hits on next game'. Really liked Hitch press compare and compare that to 1st one 26sec troll visit.

Hitch is such a B-atch.. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad