GDT: Game 07 - Winnipeg Jets @ Los Angeles Kings - Thursday, October 27th, 2022 - 9:30pm CDT - TSN3 - CJOB/POWER 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The Winnipeg Jets are in La La Land tonight to face the Los Angeles Kings. The 3-3 Jets are coming off of a 4-0 shutout victory over the St. Louis Blues on Monday night, while the 4-4 Kings beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-2 on Tuesday night. Head Coach Rick Bowness did not make the trip, while Nikolaj Ehlers did, but is not expected to play. A 9:30pm start means that I will probably be sitting this one out, but maybe I will take a pre-game nap...

baby-with-jets-hat.jpg

We all know what Los Angeles is famous for...

states_california-hollywood-sign-2.jpg

and...

default.jpg

...but there are lots of interesting things that you may not know about the City of Angels...

People often associate Los Angeles with the film industry, but it was actually another industry that built this city. Historically, it was oil that played a major role in Los Angeles’ development. According to the Los Angeles County Office of Oil and Gas, the Los Angeles City oil field was first discovered in 1893 by gold prospectors searching for a different kind of treasure. Yup – it was Edward L. Doheny and Charles A. Canfield who first unearthed this oil field, the historic first well of which is now…. a glamorous swimming pool parking lot. This proved to be an auspicious start because the resulting oil boom generated 45 barrels of oil per day, and within 4 years, there were 500 wells and Los Angeles was leading the country in oil production. Within four decades, Los Angeles would be producing a quarter of the entire world’s oil. Take that Texas! An added fact...An oil derrick on the property of Beverly Hills High School produces about 400 barrels a day. The school earns about $300,000 a year in royalties...

LDN-L-NEWSOM-OIL-1022-02-1.jpg

When the city was founded in 1781, it was originally called “El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de Los Ángeles Sobre el Río Porciúncula”. Things just wouldn't be the same if they kept it...

6yajzc.jpg

6yak84.jpg

If you don’t like traffic, you probably won’t like Los Angeles. And, while that isn’t necessarily a secret, this piece of LA trivia about traffic will still shock you. According to CNBC, it’s estimated that Los Angeles drivers spend an average of 119 hours a year stymied in traffic. This comes out to five days, which is a full workweek. For context, think about it as a sizable portion of what most Americans are afforded annually for vacation. Zing. Even more shocking, based on the median hourly wage, it’s estimated the average delays in commuting result in $1,010 lost each year in productivity. Even worse, this extra time requires extra fuel. 21 unnecessary gallons are used per driver, which is a waste of $166 billion, or 3.3 billion gallons of fuel.

GettyImages-134002821.jpg

When you think of Los Angeles, you likely think of movies, beaches, sunshine, and of course palm trees. However, the history of palm trees in LA may surprise you. In fact, according to KCET, palm trees aren’t indigenous to the region. Just like many people living there, these trees are transplants. While there is one species of palm native to the region (Washingtonia filifera), the most famous and iconic are imported. In fact, in 1931 alone, the forestry division planted over 25,000 palm trees.

steven-pahel-645g50Mxy8s-unsplash-1365x2048.jpg

Now here's a fun fact that Mark Scheifele might like, goats are an unlikely resource for Los Angeles. But, as NPR describes, they serve a necessary utility in the city. And, while they may not necessarily realize what they’re doing, they’re certainly doing their part by grazing on invasive grasses and dried brush year-round, thereby helping prevent wildfires. They’re so effective that Los Angeles continues to renew its contract with Environmental Land Management to keep their hooves where they are. So yeah, the city of Los Angeles is, quite literally, at the mercy of goats. It’s a good thing they don’t realize the power they have.

110810-goats1-hlarge-130a.jpg

If you’re reading this, then you have Los Angeles to thank. Because, as Los Angeles Times reports, on October 29, 1969, the Internet was born there. And, while there are many milestones that were significant in the development of the Internet, Los Angeles’ is truly the genesis. This day marked the first message ever transmitted between the first two computers connected on a new network design. An operator attempted to type ‘LOGIN’ and send it to a sister computer in Menlo Park, California. However, he only made it to ‘LO’ before it crashed. This bug was fixed and within a year, the ARPAnet linked 10 computers nationwide...

r

In Los Angeles there is a law against licking frogs. The law came into power after some teenagers in Los Angeles found out that a certain type of toad skin contained hallucinogens... That's far out man...

Girl-licks-frog-porject-wild-thing.png

Doing it doggystyle is a crime in Los Angeles. The law only applies to dogs who mate within 500 yards of a church. The act punishable by a fine of $500 and/or six months in prison...

It’s also illegal to drive more than 2000 sheep down Hollywood Boulevard. I guess that would be a baaaad idea, unless of course, they drive themselves...

what-kind-of-car-or-vehicle-does-a-sheep-drive-riddle-5fb5189d25cf7-1605703837.jpg

Go Jets Go! :hockey:

Thanks to: 20 Interesting & Fun Facts About Los Angeles (Most Visitors Don't Know!), Fun Facts About Los Angeles That Not Even Angelenos Know and 25 Things You Might Not Know About Los Angeles

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Thanks @macmaroon great GDT.

LA has been playing OK, with a similar record to our own. If we show anything close to the intensity that was apparent in the Blues game we will be fine.

I'm convinced that Doughty, Kempe and Quick are closet frog-lickers.

Go Jets!

:jets:jets:jets:jets

P.S. Difficult to think about LA for long what without mentioning the Peppers.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
tattooed-shakespeare-mathew-mcfarren.jpg

Or whether doth my team, facing those crowned untrue,
Skate with yon monarch's plague, this flattery?
Or whether shall I say, mine face turneth blue,
And that Crypto.com brews this alchemy,
To take on monsters and items of Kempe’s indigest
Such cherubins as our sweet Jets resemble,
Creating every bad a perfect best,
As fast as pucks to our shortwall assemble?
O! 'tis the worst, 'tis Doughty in my seeing,
And his fans minds most kingly drinks it up:
Mine eye knows what with our top six is preparing,
And to our palate doth prepare the bleeding cup:
If it be a Jets win, 'tis well the lesser sin
That mine eye loves it and doth first begin.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
I know a lot of people don't like the late starts. With my current setup I am unable to record the game/start watching from the beginning after start time (unless it's on SportsNet). This is one of the games where I actually get to watch from start to finish! My body is ready.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
The coffee hasn't kicked in yet so I may have missed this: who is in for Stanley?

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Thanks @macmaroon I did not have time to read all that d it I am sure it was well thought out! I work unlike @Jets 31 lol

I heard LA smells, has really bad air, is intensely hot, and has crazy fires all summer. Mass social unrest on top of. Sounds great! Mass exodus for a reason I guess.

I really hope we see the continued amazing push and collective system we all witnessed against the Blues.

Late game YAWN! GO JETS GO

:jets:jets:jets

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Thanks @macmaroon I did not have time to read all that d it I am sure it was well thought out! I work unlike @Jets 31 lol

I heard LA smells, has really bad air, is intensely hot, and has crazy fires all summer. Mass social unrest on top of. Sounds great! Mass exodus for a reason I guess.

I really hope we see the continued amazing push and collective system we all witnessed against the Blues.

Late game YAWN! GO JETS GO

:jets:jets:jets
Lots of regulation that cripples development/policy.

Water will be a serious issue very soon.

Reactions: kanadalainen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad