Rumor: Gallant Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
This is not a Gallant hate thread, as I'm personally a fan. I also can't stand the faction of this fanbase (every team has it) that will always consistently blame every coach we have instead of blaming the core of the team that let's us down/other issues. Coaches are just the easiest change to make, as it's easy to fire/hire coaches but not trade 7 players, 4 of which you gave NMC's to. It's also the first way for a GM to deflect blame from himself.

Nonetheless, here are people I think the Rangers consider candidates to replace Gallant:

Personally ASIDE from Coach Q's past with the allegations, I'd love him as coach. He's a winner, but carries alot of heavy baggage. Not sure that, or the blowback that would come with it, is worth it. It also likely means Kane is back, when as much as I advocated for his TDL acquisition, is not best for this team moving forward. I could easily see Quenneville hiring leading to resigning Kane and signing Toews to cheap, bonus-laden deals.
Darryl Sutter would certainly change the culture of this team, and it would probably force Panarin out, which would be for the best. But after having heard about his overall impact on the ENTIRETY of the Flames team, this should be a hard pass.
Mark Messier is a total wildcard. Not sure you can argue his motivational power or respect he would command, but an experiment with a former team legend in his first NHL coaching job when you are in a contention window is a recipe for letdowns, and ultimate disaster when you part ways messily after one season.
Laviolette, not a fan.
Mike Sullivan. Still not sure Penguins let him go, as he is playing an active role in new GM search. Also not sure how his coaching translates without Crosby, Malkin, Letang. Hasn't had a legitimate season & playoff run since the Cup wins 6 years ago now. Been riding that ever since.
Mike Babcock. I truly feel he is overrated, as he only ever made noise in playoffs with Datsyuk, Lidstrom, Zetterberg trio. Even near the end of Datsyuk and Zett, he consistently fell short in playoffs. Pass.
Quenneville is clearly the #1 option in terms of coaching....but is the face value of that enough to outweigh the baggage and negative PR it would bring? I think you do it after doing due diligence to ensure nothing of the sorts could ever happen again, I believe in second chances, and theres no denying his success as an NHL bench boss.

My candidates that I think should be looked seriously at, but am not confident enough to place as a Rangers candidate:

Kris Knoblaunch. Doing a fine job in Hartford. Would have familiarity with Jones, Othmann, Cuylle, and Robertson, players we may need dearly to contribute on ELC's and cheap contracts as cost-controlled youth. Was a Drury hire, so could easily be in the "Rangers candidate" but I fear they won't take him seriously as a candidate at this stage of the roster for lack of experience and lack of name status.
Andrew Brunette. If you can't beat him, steal him from the team that beat you.
Bruce Boudreau. Bruce there it is. Nuff said.

Anyways, I guess this is all rumor based, opinion, and gut feelings/guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad