Gallant becomes a Knight (and will Detroit goaltending be impacted?)

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If Vegas makes a trade with a club, is that considered their move - be it a drafted player or whatever - with that club?

That way, Fleury could be traded with Vegas and both clubs could be happy. But then again, if he lifts his NMC to be traded, lifting a NMC would mean Vegas could draft him too.

splot

Jun 12, 2014
Considering what goalkeepers will be available, I'd probably expose Mrazek as well. No way I'd take him as Vegas, this last year was far too abysmal for him to have any value as a starter or trading piece at his current salary. Howard? Maybe, his record this season was nothing short of outstanding. Injuries are of course a major concern and I think there's better options out there. In the end it will probably not matter, it's going to be someone like Jensen/Ouellete or Sheahan that gets picked up anyway.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Considering what goalkeepers will be available, I'd probably expose Mrazek as well. No way I'd take him as Vegas, this last year was far too abysmal for him to have any value as a starter or trading piece at his current salary. Howard? Maybe, his record this season was nothing short of outstanding. Injuries are of course a major concern and I think there's better options out there. In the end it will probably not matter, it's going to be someone like Jensen/Ouellete or Sheahan that gets picked up anyway.

This.

As a pick for Vegas, Mrazek doesn't make much sense, unless they are hoping to unload him for some assets after the draft.

If they want someone who can fill the starter role right away, they have better options in the draft in Fleury, Halak, or Howard (if exposed); and on the UFA market with Bishop, Miller, Mason, Elliot and/or Johnson. Unprotected guys like Raanta and Pickard, or UFA's like Darling, Nillson or Bernier might also be worth looking at to take a starters workload for cheap.

For a backup they can easily claim an affordable established backup like Montoya, Hutton, Grubauer, Dell or Pickard. They also have a number of backup options available on the UFA market.

They also have better options if they are looking for a potential long term goalie. Grubauer, Korpisalo, Sparks and Stolarz (if unprotected).

With Mrazek, Vegas would be rolling the dice on a goalie coming off a poor year that would require a salary over $4.15M if they want to retain him past next season regardless of how he performs for them. A better dice roll for them would be Pickard:
-1 year remaining on a bridge deal like Mrazek
-Coming off a season where he had slightly better numbers with same workload on a WORSE team
-Much cheaper with $1M cap hit and $1.075M qualifying offer required after next season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are you guys missing the part where Howard isn't in our future plans and a team grabbing him would actually be good for us?

We don't need a 5 million dollar goalie whose body can't handle a starter's workload and therefore can only be a backup. But that's also the likely reason no one else wants him either.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Are you guys missing the part where Howard isn't in our future plans and a team grabbing him would actually be good for us?

We don't need a 5 million dollar goalie whose body can't handle a starter's workload and therefore can only be a backup. But that's also the likely reason no one else wants him either.

This is the Ken Holland run Red Wings we're talking about... There is no "future plans" outside of trying to sign UFA's to get back into the playoffs....

The most realistic future for Petr Mrazek is that he has a mediocre season next year, which prompts Holland to lock him up to a deal like Howards. Then in a couple years when Mrazek has another year like this last one, he becomes the next Howard in the eyes of those that currently make excuses for him.

At this juncture, they also don't need a $4M goalie who lets in 3+ goals in the majority of his starts.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
This is the Ken Holland run Red Wings we're talking about... There is no "future plans" outside of trying to sign UFA's to get back into the playoffs....

The most realistic future for Petr Mrazek is that he has a mediocre season next year, which prompts Holland to lock him up to a deal like Howards. Then in a couple years when Mrazek has another year like this last one, he becomes the next Howard in the eyes of those that currently make excuses for him.

At this juncture, they also don't need a $4M goalie who lets in 3+ goals in the majority of his starts.
Excuses? The guy posted a .927 save percentage. He just can't stay healthy every season.

I can see Mrazek wanting $6-7 million, let someone else deal with that awful contract. Just gotta be sure to draft a goalie this year at some point

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Unless he has a spectacular season there's no way in hell he could ask for that.

If he does have a spectacular season I'll probably be fine with it because I'd be intoxicated by the results.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Excuses? The guy posted a .927 save percentage. He just can't stay healthy every season.

I can see Mrazek wanting $6-7 million, let someone else deal with that awful contract. Just gotta be sure to draft a goalie this year at some point

Oops, I meant "excuses for him" as in for Mrazek, not Howard.

For $6-7M, Mrazek would have to be a consensus Vezina next season and then follow it with a 2003 Giguere or 2004 Kiprusoff in the playoffs.

At this point, I'd trade him while he still has some value, use the cap space to make improvements elsewhere and let Howard play 1A/1B with a cheap <$2M UFA goalie coming off a good season like Darling, Nilsson or even a reclamation project like Bernier if he's cheap.

Last edited:

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Unless he has a spectacular season there's no way in hell he could ask for that.

If he does have a spectacular season I'll probably be fine with it because I'd be intoxicated by the results.
I agree but if he got $4 from Kenny I'd bet Mrazek was asking for at least $5. No way is he going to go into a new contract asking for less than that imho.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Oops, I meant "excuses for him" as in for Mrazek, not Howard.

For $6-7M, Mrazek would have to be a consensus Vezina next season and then follow it with a 2003 Giguere or 2004 Kiprusoff in the playoffs.

At this point, I'd trade him while he still has some value, use the cap space to make improvements elsewhere and let Howard play 1A/1B with a cheap <$2M UFA goalie coming off a good season like Darling, Nilsson or even a reclamation project like Bernier if he's cheap.
I agree 100%

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
When discussing the path that led him to join the Dallas Stars, Ben Bishop dropped an interesting little nugget on the Vegas Golden Knights, with whom he did not come close to signing.

“There was some talk of it,†Bishop told Hockey Central at Noon Monday. “From what I heard, they were thinking younger and a different direction. They’re going to be a competitive team.

“I definitely would’ve thought of the option if it was there.â€

If Vegas didn't want Bishop, doubt they would be interested in the older and more injury-prone Jimmy Howard.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...ben-bishop-expansion-draft-trade-free-agents/

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I think Mrazek's WC performance probably lessed his chances of getting claimed... If they want a younger direction, Pickard and Grubauer are more affordable and probably better options...

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I think Mrazek's WC performance probably lessed his chances of getting claimed... If they want a younger direction, Pickard and Grubauer are more affordable and probably better options...

Nah, you expose Howard and his awful contract. There's no way the Knights take that contract and that's the goal for Holland: keep as much of the roster intact as possible so we can maintain status quo. Given McPhee's familiarity with the Caps I wouldn't be shocked if he went with Grubauer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad