Gallant becomes a Knight (and will Detroit goaltending be impacted?)

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Looks like Gerard Gallant will coach Vegas:

http://www.tsn.ca/golden-knights-to-name-gallant-head-coach-1.723045

Good for him. But I also thought this excerpt on team building was interesting (emphasis mine):

"We're going to have to start from the net out," Foley said. "So we're going to start with great goaltending and I believe we'll end up with, through this expansion draft, class A-type goaltenders. But we've also gotta protect them. We've gotta protect the net and make it as easy as possible on our goaltenders. So we'll have the ability to draft fairly balanced and good defencemen and we'll try to get as many of those defencemen to be offensive, as well. And then the slowest thing that will come for us are the superstars, the wing and the centres.We're going to have to be a little patient in terms of our offence. Eventually, we'll be a team of speed, agility and finesse."

Do you think Vegas might be interested in Howard after all? Maybe with a pick thrown in or other equalizers?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fleury is the heavy favorite to be the Las Vegas starting goalie. I would imagine they want a younger, more reasonably priced backup than Jimmy Howard.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Fleury is the heavy favorite to be the Las Vegas starting goalie. I would imagine they want a younger, more reasonably priced backup than Jimmy Howard.

maybe, but he also says they need to protect their goalie. and what D will protect him more than Ericsson? We have to have someone connected with the organization who golfs with Gallant who can sell him on Big Rig.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
USA Today believes that Holland will leave Mrazek unprotected, No way do i see that happening.

You don't see Holland showing unwavering loyalty to a guy for no other reason than that he's a long-time veteran? Really?

That said, I can't imagine that E or Howard are the guys you take from our roster. Maybe a Helm or a Sheahan. Seems vastly more likely they'd take whichever semi-promising D we leave unprotected. Though it's hard to guess at what value you might have to 'add' to get them to take the guy you want them to take, so maybe if it's less than I imagine, you can get them to take a bad contract.

All that said - I don't care if they do take a bad contract. It's clear that team leadership would immediately spend that money on more bad extensions, or on FA to try to get the team back into 15th or 16th place. I'd prefer that not be an option.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017
MAF would have to waive his NMC wouldn't he? If he refuses to waive to go to Vegas, I'm sure they can find a trade because moving him somewhere for something has to be better than getting nothing in return. This expansion game is like a chess game if you ask me. We don't know who they plan to take. Do we really think that they will take one of our younger D men when they can stockpile a real solid 6 D-men via draft not using any of ours? Do we really think they will take one of our higher paid goalies if they get there hands on either Bishop in FA or MAF through the draft? What about our forwards? The ones left will be scraps most likely...there are so many different variables for it.

For me, I hope they do build a very strong G/D and win the draft lottery. Doesn't Patrick have ties to that organization? Would be a great start for a new team to have that face to market right away.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah I had no idea either and I grew up watching him play for the Wings. I don't remember Mick or Dave ever calling him that.
Yeah, I had forgotten about it, until I heard them use it the other night during the Farewell to The Joe post game show. Here's the origin:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/gerard-gallant

'Nicknames: " ‘Turk’ since I've been like three or four years old. I had it all my life. And most people call me Turk more than they call me my regular name. When I got to the NHL a lot of the guys called me ‘Spuddy’ because of Prince Edward Island potatoes." '

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
With the Avs saying they will not protect Pickard I expect Las Vegas to draft Fleury and Pickard as goaltenders.

It is highly unlikely they will draft Howard.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Holland said himself he has a tough decision to make. I wouldn't say there's no way. Sounds 50/50,unfortunately.

When you look at all the factors, it is kind of tough.

On one hand you have a goalie who was 3rd in GAA and 2nd in SV% among goalies that played over 25 games this past season. Unfortunately, he missed a lot of time with an injury, so who knows if he would've carried that play all season. But does caution from those injuries, keep Vegas from claiming him?

On the other hand, you have a goalie that is younger and may still have more upside. However, save for last seasons playoffs and a very select few games this season, has mostly been garbage since February 2016. On top of that, this goalie will require a $4.15M qualifying offer to retain past this season. Does Vegas roll the dice (lol) on him over other less expensive "upside" options like Grubauer, Pickard, Darling, Raanta or Korpisalo?

If we take Holland for his word that he wants to get back in the playoffs, then maybe he takes a "what have you done for me lately" and protects Howard.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, I suppose.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Everything in this expansion case is based on trade value.

You simply protect players which will have most trade value.

Of course Mrazek in a no-brainer goalie to be protected in this case. Howard has just some years left before retirement.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
If Wings primary goal next season and the season after is to tank for the top 1-3 draft pick, then keep Mrazek.

Otherwise, keep the better goalie in Howard.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

doesn't fleury have a NMC and thus the penguins have to protect him?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Everything in this expansion case is based on trade value.

You simply protect players which will have most trade value.

Of course Mrazek in a no-brainer goalie to be protected in this case. Howard has just some years left before retirement.
What exactly are you basing Howard retiring on?

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Kind of. They will buy him out and protect Murray.

Fleury will be UFA. He could be a Vegas goalie that way.

Buying out Fleury is probably the last thing the Pens want to do.

-If Fleury flat out doesn't want to go to Vegas, I would think before the expansion draft he would atleast entertain waiving his NTC to go to a team where he would have an opportunity to be the clear cut starter.

-IF Fleury upholds his NMC/NTC and refuses to be exposed or traded, the Pens could shop Murray and probably get a VERY worthwhile return.

-I'm sure Fleury is well aware that if he forces the Pens to trade or expose a younger and clearly superior goalie, the rest of his Pens tenure will not exactly be smooth...

-Lastly, buying Fleury out would bring about a couple of negatives for the Pens:

A) Add a $1.93M cap penalty for the next four years when Sheary, Schultz and Dumuolin are due sizable raises and they have a large handful of UFAs to re-sign or replace
B) They would then need to go out and cough up a draft pick or so to meet the expansion draft exposure requirement of one non exempt goalie under contact for next season or an RFA.

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think Petr could be traded a lot easier than Howie. Howie's injury history the past few years hurts him alot IMO

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think Petr could be traded a lot easier than Howie. Howie's injury history the past few years hurts him alot IMO

Exactly if he is going to expose him, he needs to call the other teams around the league.

I mean Vegas and MAF is heavily hinted so if they still want that, my guess is it does not matter who we expose. Mrazek just like Howard makes too much money to be an attractive backup.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
If Mrazek is left unprotected I'm not following Red Wings until Holland is gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad