Confirmed with Link: Gallagher signs 6 years x 6.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I said I'd be okay with a deal thats no more than 6.5m for any term less than 7 years, so this definetly qualifies as a decent deal in my books.

Glad hes sticking around.

giphy.webp

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
How many games will Gallagher get in next season? If he gets in 40 his take would be 225,000 per. Even 80 at 112000 is scary bad.

I was an advocate of trading Gallagher like I was Patch and reading some of the initial takes is interesting. Not to point fingers at but to give us a general idea of just how bad this is turning out. The reasonable moderates came to the consensus that it was 2 years too long. The money was never an issue for most because I'm assuming they felt he deserved it. The second year of this deal is winding down and watching Galley attempt to earn his bread is just SAD.
The two years too long has turned out to be the first two years. I'm not sure what to call the next four.

Price is up there regardless of how we are squirming out of it. Both players I adored. Brendan and Carey.

Yeah I think I literally said that in this thread when the news broke.

He was always going to get that range salary based on his play the last 3 seasons leading into the contract, where it turns ugly is the term.

Just another large blemish on a long list of blemishes for ChestBras.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I searched my post on this and I didn't post anything. So I don't look bad like many well knowned posters. I saw some bye-bye Danault on that thread, lol. And some bye-bye Tatar too. They both play regular shifts in NHL right now and are not a disgrace like Gally with his huge amount of $$$ and huge term. It's funny that those who liked the signing are sometimes the most anti-Bergevin.

Now today the "motor" of that line needs what? A juvenile renaissance of his body, an leg transplant, rest for two years and come back fresh again? Or none of these answers. We're stucked with him, too bad for us.
The people saying bye-bye danault are the exact same people who have been saying bye bye Gally , only for even longer than danault lol. Gally has had skill issues for years it's tough out there when he's trying to pass the puck , hard to watch , I think he can still put up a 40 point season if the team is ever good while he's still here

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You knew we were about to enter the Dark Ages when he brought back Michel Therrien. It went downhill from there.
About then I started to feel more than a little uncomfortable.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The people saying bye-bye danault are the exact same people who have been saying bye bye Gally , only for even longer than danault lol. Gally has had skill issues for years it's tough out there when he's trying to pass the puck , hard to watch , I think he can still put up a 40 point season if the team is ever good while he's still here
40 points is never happening again for this player.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
40 points is never happening again for this player.
That's pathetic, 6,5 M and not even sure he could put 40 pts.

Gally and passing abilities doesn't go together in the same sentence. When Danault or Tatar passed the puck to Gally, Gally had to score, the puck wasn't going back to them.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Gallagher reminds me of Gionta, where everyone said he couldn’t keep up that tough style at a small frame.

I can see Gallagher having a long career because as much as he relies on toughness and a sheer kamikaze style of play, he has good hockey IQ and strong play away from the puck.

I was wrong as f***.
I don't think I posted in this thread, but I did make a different Gionta connection in another thread.

"I know this isn't a popular opinion, but my reaction when Gallagher signed his current deal was 'Great. And let him walk when that deal is over.' Of course everybody likes Gallagher's effort, heart, drive etc, not to mention the 30 goals. But I'd be very concerned about what he'd bring at age 29-30-31-32 on his next contract. He takes so much abuse, especially for his size. I think there's a risk that BG might deteriorate rapidly.

Habs went through this 10 years ago. They signed Gionta, another scrappy goal scorer who stuck his nose in the dirty areas and played way above his weight class. His contract was 5X5M (about 9% of cap, so about 7-7.5M vs. today's cap). And Montreal got about 2.5 decent years out of 5 on that contract. By the end of it, Gionta was barely a replacement player, between injuries and the fact that the wear and tear sapped him.

I'd strongly consider trading Gallagher before his last year, he'd fetch a very high return. And I admire what he's accomplished and all the work he clearly puts in, but I'd rather somebody else give him his next contract at 7+M
."

Source: Trade Proposal Thread XV: June 4, 2019.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I doubt he'll ever live up to the 6.5, but the amount of disrespect he gets on here is over the top- people calling him a bum, and just throwing shade on his name is just silly at times. Also goes to show how young some of you guys are, which is understandable I suppose but this board has a quick memory that's without question. Also a delusional one at times too, but that's another story for another day.

I get the frustration with term & $$, but at the same time as mentioned before he was on one of the best contracts on the team. As much as we're selfish in wanting the best for our team, and that team goes above player.. he has earned that payday. He'll be 31 come May, and still has a good chunk of his career left. I wouldn't bet against a guy like Gallagher, he's been overcoming obstacles his whole career, I personally believe he still has some good hockey in him.

Also when you look at what the team went through on the cup run/covid season it's pretty astonishing to see what the players put all there bodies through and the waterfall of injuries/retirements that came after. Hopefully with the rest Gallagher has had over the past bit, and the rest he'll about to get over this summer- he can come back and play close to a full season. Time will tell, and maybe I'll just be the fool who still has belief in the guy. I'm on team Gallagher and I hope he shuts some of you posters up. I would enjoy that.

Amen brother.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Gallagher been playing well since his return from injury. With 4 goals in 9 games. Playing like his old self. Hope this carries over to next season
His goals have come against bad teams: Washington after elimination, Philly, Columbus, and Buffalo.

I hope he can turn a corner. But he's slowed down and the league has gotten faster. I have to see if he can produce against good teams, as all good teams play with speed, to see if can turn that corner.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
His goals have come against bad teams: Washington after elimination, Philly, Columbus, and Buffalo.

I hope he can turn a corner. But he's slowed down and the league has gotten faster. I have to see if he can produce against good teams, as all good teams play with speed, to see if can turn that corner.
And can he play more than 10 games without getting injured and going on a shelf for months.

Reactions: 26Mats

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Gallagher been playing well since his return from injury. With 4 goals in 9 games. Playing like his old self. Hope this carries over to next season
Gallagher’s flame is gone. His body is to broken to play the way he used too. It’s nice to see him get a couple of goals, but they’re nothing but stat padders.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Also, I hope Gallagher starts on a 4th or 3rd line with Evans and Ylonen. He could make useful contributions playing next to two relatively new guys as a vet that's smart with the puck in his own end, has a good shot, and gives it his all.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Good on him for scoring some goals but if you ignore the stats and watch him play, it's ugly

The problem with Gallagher is two fold.

1) Whatever hands he had around the net are largely gone. He can get chances, but that's about it.

2) The style that he needs to play just can't hold up to an 82 game season anymore. I think this season he was moving well to start, but then I remember him falling awkwardly into the boards after stepping on an errand stick, and it just went downhill from there.

I used to look at younger Gallagher take some nasty spills, or take pucks in rough spots, and wonder how the heck he was able to keep playing on without skipping a beat. I don't wonder wonder that anymore, because he simply can't. One knock and and it appears to have a domino effect on his body over the grind of a full season.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
The fact that it is buyout proof is just so funny to me. Why did Bergevin and Sedgwick implement that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad