Confirmed with Link: Gallagher named to NHL All Rookie Team

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
If he grew a mullet he could pass as Patrick kane's brother.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
He and Galchenyuk contributed a TON (along with Subban's Norris performance and MaxPAc's .ppg pace) to our amazing season.

Gallagher is really something special. His mix of courage and skill will make of him one of our premier forwards for years to come.

And he will do it all with a huge smile on his face.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
He and Galchenyuk contributed a TON (along with Subban's Norris performance and MaxPAc's .ppg pace) to our amazing season.

Gallagher is really something special. His mix of courage and skill will make of him one of our premier forwards for years to come.

Gotta admit, part of my reluctance to curb my own growing enthusiasm for a player I somewhat recently still had some doubts about, is that the guy obviously still has tonnes of fun while giving 110% every time his skates hit the ice. Gotta love players like that who are also productive and dependable.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Yup. And I'll go even further. Gallagher was the biggest difference-maker on our team last season, making more of an impact than Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and yes - even Subban. Gallagher did more than just put up great rookie numbers, he brought an entirely fresh mindset onto the ice. Here was this kid banging away in front and in back of the net, slamming into the corners, absolutely refusing to be denied the puck or to be dislodged from his spot in front of their goalie. In short, doing everything that almost nobody else on the team was doing. This 20-year-old was showing how it was done, and everyone else on the team was noticing and thinking, "If the kid can do it, so can I!". And many did. Montreal went from being one of the lowest-scoring teams over the past few seasons to suddenly becoming one of the top-scoring teams. A huge part of that was a system that emphasized the quick forecheck, but once they got into the O-zone, the poster-boy for all those wonderful dirty goals was Gallagher.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Yup. And I'll go even further. Gallagher was the biggest difference-maker on our team last season, making more of an impact than Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and yes - even Subban. Gallagher did more than just put up great rookie numbers, he brought an entirely fresh mindset onto the ice. Here was this kid banging away in front and in back of the net, slamming into the corners, absolutely refusing to be denied the puck or to be dislodged from his spot in front of their goalie. In short, doing everything that almost nobody else on the team was doing. This 20-year-old was showing how it was done, and everyone else on the team was noticing and thinking, "If the kid can do it, so can I!". And many did. Montreal went from being one of the lowest-scoring teams over the past few seasons to suddenly becoming one of the top-scoring teams. A huge part of that was a system that emphasized the quick forecheck, but once they got into the O-zone, the poster-boy for all those wonderful dirty goals was Gallagher.

Hard to say you're wrong, that's for sure.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto

In total agreement. It's a shame that many cannot see what a role model Gallagher is to his teammates - even those who are vastly more experienced than him. It's not just his production; it's the way he plays that should motivate guys like Pacioretty and Eller to do the same.

Myron Gaines*

I love Gallagher, last year he showed tons of leadership at such a young age. Talk about a player with character. What a steal by Timmins.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Great post. We've got something special here with this Gallagher kid. :handclap:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

You're pumping his tires a little too much.

I didn't see anybody change their style because Gallagher was on the team. Prust played the way he did in NY, Plek, DD, MaxPac, Gionta, etc.. they all played the same way as they always do.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with him having a bigger impact than PK and MaxPac. Let's not mention Plekanec.

Sure, it was nice to see this little guy battle hard. But he wasn't our MVP, not even close.

I agree he had a better rookie year than Galchenyuk, but he's also older.

Myron Gaines*

I didn't see anybody change their style because Gallagher was on the team. Prust played the way he did in NY, Plek, DD, MaxPac, Gionta, etc.. they all played the same way as they always do.

And I'm gonna have to disagree with him having a bigger impact than PK and MaxPac. Let's not mention Plekanec.

Sure, it was nice to see this little guy battle hard. But he wasn't our MVP, not even close.

I think that the fact that he was able to contribute the way he did while playing in our top 6 changed the landscape of our offense. I agree with you that he wasn't our mvp, but he was one of the big reasons why we did so well offensively as a whole during the regular season.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
My only concern is whether his body can handle the abuse over the years

This is, of course, a legitimate concern. Right now he's kind of carving his niche and earning respect... he's going to over-compensate for a while with "enthusiasm". It's just a matter of what kind of balance he eventually finds that allows him to contribute for a long time. Then again, maybe he's just plain tough enough to play like that for a decade, sidelined no more often than anyone else in today's game.

Yeah, you're right about the tire pumping. Still though, there's no denying that at points the Habs seemed to go through flat spots, and Gallagher was one of the more obvious momentum generators when they needed it. Other players had their time of prominence, for sure (Prust, for example), but Gallagher was conspicuous pretty much start to finish. "Quality of play", though, and role filled, etc, you're probably right.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Hey man, Gallagher deserves a little hyperbole! Aside from Prust, the team was the same as the year before and, no, they didn't play anything like the way they did this past season. The same team that finished 19th in scoring in 2012, 22nd in 2011 and 25th in 2010, made it to #4 in 2013. How did that happen? The coaching system focused on transitioning from the D much faster - a big difference - but the biggest factor in offense from last year to this was the team's willingness to drive towards the net and buzz around for rebounds. Habs had been a perimeter shooting team for years; now suddenly we were winning games with dirty, in-close goals.

Same players, different results? That's a mindset. Obviously it doesn't all come from Gallagher. But I think his enthusiasm and intensity was infectious, and yeah, I think his teammates watched what he was doing and had to choose -- either let this kid show them up, or step up and enter the battleground. The team stepped up (for most of the season, anyway) and a lot of that was because they saw Gallagher's style of play.

So maybe he's not the actual MVP; more the Purple Heart of Valour winner.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think that the fact that he was able to contribute the way he did while playing in our top 6 changed the landscape of our offense. I agree with you that he wasn't our mvp, but he was one of the big reasons why we did so well offensively as a whole during the regular season.

He wasn't a big reason why we did so well. Guys like Ovechkin can be a big reason, Gallagher was just another good solid depth player.

Depth and change of system were the two reasons why we did well. Gallagher played an important role in that depth, just like MaxPac did, Eller, Gally, Plek, Markov, Ryder, PK, etc..
He's a great kid, and played his part, hopefully he'll keep improving next year.

Yeah, you're right about the tire pumping. Still though, there's no denying that at points the Habs seemed to go through flat spots, and Gallagher was one of the more obvious momentum generators when they needed it. Other players had their time of prominence, for sure (Prust, for example), but Gallagher was conspicuous pretty much start to finish. "Quality of play", though, and role filled, etc, you're probably right.

Ya, no doubt, he was consistent and has the ability to swing momentum our way.

Hey man, Gallagher deserves a little hyperbole! Aside from Prust, the team was the same as the year before and, no, they didn't play anything like the way they did this past season. The same team that finished 19th in scoring in 2012, 22nd in 2011 and 25th in 2010, made it to #4 in 2013. How did that happen? The coaching system focused on transitioning from the D much faster - a big difference - but the biggest factor in offense from last year to this was the team's willingness to drive towards the net and buzz around for rebounds. Habs had been a perimeter shooting team for years; now suddenly we were winning games with dirty, in-close goals.

Same players, different results? That's a mindset. Obviously it doesn't all come from Gallagher. But I think his enthusiasm and intensity was infectious, and yeah, I think his teammates watched what he was doing and had to choose -- either let this kid show them up, or step up and enter the battleground. The team stepped up (for most of the season, anyway) and a lot of that was because they saw Gallagher's style of play.

So maybe he's not the actual MVP; more the Purple Heart of Valour winner.

We have the same players?
Gomez, Kaberle, Cammy, AK, Gill, Cole, Weber (played 60games last year vs 6 this year), Campoli, Darche??
Those guys either didn't play this year for us, or barely did.

But yes, the biggest factor was our system. Still, having Markov back, seeing our youngsters develop like Eller, Emelin and Diaz, helped, the contribution of rookies was also a big help, having the most productive pair of Dmen through the NHL played a huge role too.

I don't think the team stepped up because Gallagher did. I'm sure he earned himself some admiration, but it didn't make Plekanec step his game up any more. Likewise for most of the others. The system made our players perform differently, sure, but the ethic and battling was no different.

I think Eller was more important than Galchenyuk or Gallagher. He was the glue holding our depth together.

Myron Gaines*

He wasn't a big reason why we did so well. Guys like Ovechkin can be a big reason, Gallagher was just another good solid depth player.

Depth and change of system were the two reasons why we did well. Gallagher played an important role in that depth, just like MaxPac did, Eller, Gally, Plek, Markov, Ryder, PK, etc..
He's a great kid, and played his part, hopefully he'll keep improving next year.

I never compared him to Ovechkin who is the MVP this season.

No one expected Gallagher to be that good this year, but the fact that he was, changed the complete landscape of our top 9. While being tied for top goalscoring, representing depth and providing a type of play we lacked years before? I say he was a big reason for our success, just like many other players on our team. The fact that he's not Ovechkin doesn't imply he can't be a very important player to this or any other team.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I never compared him to Ovechkin who is the MVP this season.

No one expected Gallagher to be that good this year, but the fact that he was, changed the complete landscape of our top 9. While being tied for top goalscoring, representing depth and providing a type of play we lacked years before? I say he was a big reason for our success, just like many other players on our team. The fact that he's not Ovechkin doesn't imply he can't be a very important player to this or any other team.

Never said he wasn't important, my point is that you can say the same for so many others, and before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad