News Article: Galchenyuk - Top Franchise Forward according to Washington Post

Neilnm

Dec 13, 2009
Montreal
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ovechkin-is-a-franchise-player-and-heres-why/

Last paragraph:

The top franchise forward if holding an open draft today? Alex Galchenyuk. And before you scoff at that selection, keep in mind the 20-year-old center has played more than 100 games in the NHL over his first two seasons while accumulating 6.5 point shares – and that includes the lockout-shortened 2013 campaign. In the history of the NHL, only 23 forwards have had as many or more Point Shares while playing more than 100 games over their first two seasons in the league before the age of 20. If the 2013 season wasn’t just 48 games long, Galchenyuk would likely be even higher on that list. Here is the rest of the top 10:

v0Kwycg.jpg

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
Also disagree with this:

If the 2013 season wasn’t just 48 games long, Galchenyuk would likely be even higher on that list.

If the 2013 season had started on schedule, pretty likely he would have spent the whole season in the OHL.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Galchenyuk is a the top of his draft class in term of games played and points scored. Yakupov is also right there (but not on the list); reading the article my guess is that it's because he's playing with much more productive players in Edmonton so his "point share" must be lower, while Galchenyuk will most probably become the team top offensive forward pretty soon, so he had comparatively more importance (and point shares) with the habs.

So yeah, it's not surprising that Gally has the potential of scoring more point shares during the course of his career than everybody else who played 100 games, but that's simply because he's among the youngest in the "new good players" and he's playing on a offensively-starved habs squad. The think with being young is that it goes away with time, so this situation won't last for long (on the other hand, I think taking Galchenyuk last two seasons to extrapolate on his entire career is quite unfair - clearly this model has its limits).

Also, note that important rookies (MacKinnon, or a guy like Drouin) aren't in the data because they didn't play enough games - it is very likely that MacKinnon will trunce Galchenyuk the moment he plays his 100th game.

So yeah, good for Galchenyuk, but ultimately it doesn't means much.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You read it here first.....

Bergevin is a ****ing idiot for offering Galchenyuk a bridge contract.

Get ready for the season of tearing down bridges. Look at how screwed up Subban is now after his bridge contract.

I cant wait for the emotion to start flowing....:sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Get ready for the season of tearing down bridges. Look at how screwed up Subban is now after his bridge contract.

Not surprised that 3 years later you still don't get it..

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

The moment that Subban stepped on NHL ice he was pretty damn good.

Galchenyuk ? He's not bad. But not at the level Subban was. I do reserve the right to change my mind if Galchenyuk plays insanely well this season. Then sure, don't bridge him.. or you'll regret it.. like we did with Subban. But at the moment, I'd be fine with a bridge. He hasn't shown enough to warrant a long term deal just yet.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013

Galchenyuk ? He's not bad. But not at the level Subban was. I do reserve the right to change my mind if Galchenyuk plays insanely well this season. Then sure, don't bridge him.. or you'll regret it.. like we did with Subban. But at the moment, I'd be fine with a bridge. He hasn't shown enough to warrant a long term deal just yet.
Taking age into account lead me to think he has the potential to achieve the same kind of success. I would wait one more year before making such comparison.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Agreed.

And I read that Washington Post column and still don't understand it. Galchenyuk is not that vital to our offense, not even top5.

Patches, Plekanec, Eller, Desharnais, Vanek/Cole/Ryder were all more important. Hell, if you tell me there's 5min left to tie the game up I'd put Bourque on before Galchenyuk.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Before I say anything else, this Neil Greenberg is the same guy that argued Sergei Kostitsyn was a better player than John Tavares. In 2012.

Now, as for Galchy.......great talent, find he lacks consistency in every facet of his game, even in his strengths. Has some ways to go........even if I want him as our first line C as quickly as ****ing possible. :D

PricePkPatch*

I don't get the "projected Point share". He is expected to help score on 265% of the team's goal? Or is it the expected total point share of his career?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
What is a point share?
I think it's a flawed metric to appraise a player's impact on winning games.

I don't get the "projected Point share". He is expected to help score on 265% of the team's goal? Or is it the expected total point share of his career?
I might be wrong but I think it has little to do with point production. It's more about the player's impact to help win games. For instance, Chucky's 6.5 point share means we would finish the season with 7 points less in the standings without him, unless he was replaced with a player with equal value.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad