Galchenyuk needs to be front-line C (and PP)

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
For next season:

Bottom line one of the centers have to go.

Plekanec is staying IMO, Galchenyuk can't be moved wouldn't make any sense, Desharnais is signed for another 3 years and has good chemistry with Patches and would be hard to move at his size, value etc.., unfortunately that leaves us with Eller. Eller is the odd man out even though he has potential and looks good.

Move Eller for something like a big winger or if we need a defenseman.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I understand Desharnais has come a long way since his mediocre start to the season, but let's no get carried away here. Galchenyuk is the gem of this team up front and he has been (slightly) mishandled by Therrien since being drafted.

We've been waiting for a big, tall, talentend center for the last 20 years (remember Lecavalier?). Now that we have one, we're playing him as the 3rd line LW.

Many people on here though Galchy was just as good a prospect as MacKinnon before the season started. And I still think those people have a point. Galchenyuk has showed time and time again that he is the most talented forward on this team and he also has the most potential.

It's time for Therrien to build three scoring lines, with Galchenyuk as the guy getting the most ice time. Galchy has 57 pts in 97 games, that's pretty good with limited ice time, and he's never showed signs of being unreliable or weak or whatever. He is ready for more duties. MacKinnon has 50 pts in 62 games as a rookie...

This is even more possible with the acquisition of Vanek. Use him well! Put him with Galchenyuk ! Desharnais can stay with Pac, but use Galchenyuk at center, and more often! The hands, the vision, the speed, the skills on that kid is just unreal. You're telling me he'll score less than Desharnais ? Come on!

I vote for

Vanek Galchenyuk Briere
Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
Eller Plekanec Gionta

Makes no sense to switch Galchenyuk midseason.

I'm sure he'll get a look at center next season, the time to do it is in camp and preseason not during the stretch drive. He's comfortable LW and has less responsibility there, keep him there.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
For next season:

Bottom line one of the centers have to go.

Plekanec is staying IMO, Galchenyuk can't be moved wouldn't make any sense, Desharnais is signed for another 3 years and has good chemistry with Patches and would be hard to move at his size, value etc.., unfortunately that leaves us with Eller. Eller is the odd man out even though he has potential and looks good.

Move Eller for something like a big winger or if we need a defenseman.

Eller doesn't have to go, but I'd keep him and play him LW in case Galchenyuk struggles.

Most really good teams have centers playing wing, it's far from a problem.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

He will eventually fill out his frame which will help him a lot in that aspect.

I know but if you look at a young player like Barkov, he already is pretty strong on the puck for a 18 year old, same thing when Kopitar and Hossa made their debut in the NHL. But when we look at Galchenyuk, he is one of the softest guy in the league when protecting the puck, like if he unconsciously feared physical contact...

I'm just wondering if Galchenyuk is more similar to a guy like Nick Backstrom than Anze Kopitar.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
Galchenyuk will become a 1st line player when he's going to start playing like one.

Playing him in front of Plekanec or DD would be Pejorative Slured at this point, since he's not close of being as good as these two.

And what's the obsession about making him a center asap? Even as a winger he's struggling defensively.

Galchenyuk will probably become a really good player, but it will take a few years.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Galchenyuk will become a 1st line player when he's going to start playing like one.

Playing him in front of Plekanec or DD would be Pejorative Slured at this point, since he's not close of being as good as these two.

And what's the obsession about making him a center asap? Even as a winger he's struggling defensively.

Galchenyuk will probably become a really good player, but it will take a few years.

In what world is he not remotely close to DD?

Since Galchenyuk has been in the NHL he's producing 2.68 points per 60min of even strength ice time. Over the same time DD is at 2.56.

Galchenyuk produces more but somehow he's not even close to being as good as DD. :help:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing

Since Galchenyuk has been in the NHL he's producing 2.68 points per 60min of even strength ice time. Over the same time DD is at 2.56.

Galchenyuk produces more but somehow he's not even close to being as good as DD. :help:

they only are if you look at the stat sheet. chucky will eventually be better, but not yet. patience

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa
Galchenyuk is not good enough defensively

1- He won't learned that by playing wings.
2- But he is good enough to play on our top shutdown line with Plek who face top opposition nights in, nights out?
3- If we take all his games at center in the NHL, Galchenyuk is +7
4- Desharnais isn't any better and he's doing the job....and Galchenyuk was considered a 2-way center in the minors...DD never had this skills.

Galchenyuk can't win a faceoff

1- Here again, he won't learn anything about faceoff on the wings.
2- 72 FO wins against 103 FO lost....not that terrible for a guy who don't practice faceoff for 2 years.He would've won 15 FO more...he would be at 50%..
3- Never forget, sometimes loosing the faceoff is part of the plan...like on Gionta's goal last night.

Galchenyuk is ready to center a line....IF we sheltered him like we did when he started with the Habs last year (have been playing center for the first 14-15 games)...but somebody wasn't able to produce without being sheltered....

Disagree...if you don't think he'll learn to play a defensive game on Plekanec's wing, well then there is no hope for him defensively. We just have to give him time, he's only 19. He is not yet ready to be our 1st line center, maybe our 3rd. And to others saying Pleks should be our 3rd line center, there is no way a guy who just logged 25 minutes of play last night is going to play 3rd line minutes lol.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
they only are if you look at the stat sheet. chucky will eventually be better, but not yet. patience

I can see it watching them play as welll. Just because he hasn't reached his full potential doesn't mean he hasn't already surpassed Desharnais.

Galchenyuk is as good a passer, has a better shot, is better at protecting the puck, is a better puck carrier, the list goes on.

What is Desharnais better at? And since everyone agrees he doesn't bring much besides offence if it doesn't translate to the stat sheet then how valuable is it?

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I can see it watching them play as welll. Just because he hasn't reached his full potential doesn't mean he hasn't already surpassed Desharnais.

Galchenyuk is as good a passer, has a better shot, is better at protecting the puck, is a better puck carrier, the list goes on.

What is Desharnais better at? And since everyone agrees he doesn't bring much besides offence if it doesn't translate to the stat sheet then how valuable is it?

wont bother arguing then

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

I'd say it's even if not a bit in galch's favor offensively. Defensively is another story. DD is no defensive stalwart, but he looks like Carbo out there compared to Chucky.

There's a choice to be made about our centers, but not quite yet.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

GALCHENYUK is frustrating to watch

632973-michel-therrien-alex-galchenyuk1.jpg

>Alex Galchenyuk is frustrating to watch offensively AND defensively
>Maybe he should take notes from his friend Brendan Gallagher?
>All he does in his own ends his quietly skating towards the play, making him 2 steps behind
>Chucky isn't physical and agressive enough; he doesn't use his strenghts/legs
>This isn't how you become an elite TWO-WAY center
>If there's some wrong with his defensive game, there's plenty more with his offensive game
>''I worked my stenght this summer to keep the puck longer'' -Alex Galchenyuk, september, 2013
>Yeah right! He doesn't do that at all, it seems!
>Gains offensive zone w/ puck= tries deke= turnover
>Galchenyuk doesn't control the puck because he is scared
>As soon as he has the puck he must make a quick-fancy junior move
>The simple play doesn't exist; SKILLS IS LIFE!!!!!

>What if I told you AG27 was actually NHL ready, but he doesn't know it... at all!
>In his head, he must take more muscles, he must be stronger, it will come with the experience, Lots of excuses!
>This is why he still doesn't show BIGGER signs of in game-domination... He gives himself excuses
>Either Galchenyuk needs to start creating his own luck; either he needs to start playing back with Gallagher, who will do all the work for him
>But it's not his fault if his development stagnates, it's the way he's being handled by the coaching staff that led to that
>IMHO, somebody needs to tell Galchenyuk to WAKE the **** UP!
>Most of the time when young players find their confidence back it's because of realisations about themselves or the way they play
>Nothing changes in 24h whitout changing anything

>If Chucky has an acceptable points production this season, it's mostly due to his skills
>He doesn't dominate anything, he is opportunistic
>At 20 years old, he has everything to be a Kopitar but he didn't created his own chances like Gallagher did and coaching staffs didn't give him a lot of opportunities/signs of confidence
>And I swear Galchenyuk is nervous inside; he isn't confident at all, he doubts
>If he hits 22 and nothing has changed, it will be some bad news.
>He has 2 years to show signs of consistant progression, cause it ain't normal for him to play this average at the age of 20.

>Now what is a definitive must for him is to get way WAY more playing time...
>It would help tremendously: he would be more in da game? (+ dans le match), PP time would work his creativity/offensive side of his game, he would learn what is it to carry a team on his shoulders
>Do you think PK Subban would be the same player today if we'd have played him like a rookie in his first years?
>Do you think Chuckie knows what it's like to be at his best when the team doesn't see him as a part of it's present offensive plans?
>Do you think Chuckie knows what it's like to be at his best when he doesn't have to lead by example cause he isn't part of the leadership core?
>There is no question that Alex Galchenyuk would give way more, if not everything, if he had to carry the team on his shoulders
>And I'm talking about being on the ice during important moments, OT, PP, etc.
>No wonder why Galchenyuk still hasn't found his identity, nothing favours him
>It's way easier to develop some good habits w/ 20 mins per game, when you know you can come back after some mistakes, than by playing 14 mins per game without the confidence of your coach
>Look at Subban, since he always play 25 minutes per game he pretty much fixed his flaws
>And when he makes a bad risky play, he won't esitate to do another one right after because he knows he's good enough to do so

>IMO, next fall, no top 6 for Chucky means= coaching staff has screwed up his development
>If he feels the need to carry the team on his shoulders, do you guys think it will motivate him to get better?
>Of course it will, and that's when his leadership traits will appear
>But now Galchenyuk apprehends games like he isn't an important piece to the team, and he depends of veterans

>I don't know about you, fellow HF Habbers, but I don't see much difference & progression between 18 years old Galchenyuk and 20 years old Galchenyuk
>This isn't normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimmy_Dugaz

Dec 21, 2006
St-Jerome
For me its so simple...

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek (put the best offensive players together)

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher (Kid line with energy... worked very well)

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta (good 3rd line with experience... worked well)

Moen-Whyte-Prust (what a 4th line)

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
I doubt that Galchenyuk takes over as a centre this year, as it is too close to the playoffs. If he does, it is because we have an injury at centre in our top 9.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
For me its so simple...

Pacioretty-DD-Vanek (put the best offensive players together)

Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher (Kid line with energy... worked very well)

Briere-Plekanec-Gionta (good 3rd line with experience... worked well)

Moen-Whyte-Prust (what a 4th line)

I want Eller to be a top 6 center, but he hasn't demonstrated enough offence to deserve the spot over Plecks. I think that Galchenyuk will probably used as a centre full time at some point next year, so Eller is probably going to stay as a 3rd line centre.

Vanek will stick with who ever he develops chemistry with. He has been started out with Plecks, and if that doesn't work, they will try him with DD, and if that doesn't work, maybe Eller will be given the chance to work with Vanek, which could get him 2nd line duties. Time will tell.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Glachenyuk is the most sheltered forward on the team, and probably the worst defensively. As much as Desharnais is not great defensively, he is a lot better than Galchenyuk right now. Plus faceoffs, changing him midseason, he would get ***** on faceoffs which hurts possession.

Yes he is very talented and creative, but Desharnais usually produces against the oppositions best d-men and checking lines trying to stop them.

Galchenyuk is in his perfect pot, where he can gradually have more responsibility without the defense, faceoffs and having to get wingers to produce that centers have.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
632973-michel-therrien-alex-galchenyuk1.jpg

>Alex Galchenyuk is frustrating to watch offensively AND defensively
>Maybe he should take notes from his friend Brendan Gallagher?
>All he does in his own ends his quietly skating towards the play, making him 2 steps behind
>Chucky isn't physical and agressive enough; he doesn't use his strenghts/legs
>This isn't how you become an elite TWO-WAY center
>If there's some wrong with his defensive game, there's plenty more with his offensive game
>''I worked my stenght this summer to keep the puck longer'' -Alex Galchenyuk, september, 2013
>Yeah right! He doesn't do that at all, it seems!
>Gains offensive zone w/ puck= tries deke= turnover
>Galchenyuk doesn't control the puck because he is scared
>As soon as he has the puck he must make a quick-fancy junior move
>The simple play doesn't exist; SKILLS IS LIFE!!!!!

>What if I told you AG27 was actually NHL ready, but he doesn't know it... at all!
>In his head, he must take more muscles, he must be stronger, it will come with the experience, Lots of excuses!
>This is why he still doesn't show BIGGER signs of in game-domination... He gives himself excuses
>Either Galchenyuk needs to start creating his own luck; either he needs to start playing back with Gallagher, who will do all the work for him
>But it's not his fault if his development stagnates, it's the way he's being handled by the coaching staff that led to that
>IMHO, somebody needs to tell Galchenyuk to WAKE the **** UP!
>Most of the time when young players find their confidence back it's because of realisations about themselves or the way they play
>Nothing changes in 24h whitout changing anything

>If Chucky has an acceptable points production this season, it's mostly due to his skills
>He doesn't dominate anything, he is opportunistic
>At 20 years old, he has everything to be a Kopitar but he didn't created his own chances like Gallagher did and coaching staffs didn't give him a lot of opportunities/signs of confidence
>And I swear Galchenyuk is nervous inside; he isn't confident at all, he doubts
>If he hits 22 and nothing has changed, it will be some bad news.
>He has 2 years to show signs of consistant progression, cause it ain't normal for him to play this average at the age of 20.

>Now what is a definitive must for him is to get way WAY more playing time...
>It would help tremendously: he would be more in da game? (+ dans le match), PP time would work his creativity/offensive side of his game, he would learn what is it to carry a team on his shoulders
>Do you think PK Subban would be the same player today if we'd have played him like a rookie in his first years?
>Do you think Chuckie knows what it's like to be at his best when the team doesn't see him as a part of it's present offensive plans?
>Do you think Chuckie knows what it's like to be at his best when he doesn't have to lead by example cause he isn't part of the leadership core?
>There is no question that Alex Galchenyuk would give way more, if not everything, if he had to carry the team on his shoulders
>And I'm talking about being on the ice during important moments, OT, PP, etc.
>No wonder why Galchenyuk still hasn't found his identity, nothing favours him
>It's way easier to develop some good habits w/ 20 mins per game, when you know you can come back after some mistakes, than by playing 14 mins per game without the confidence of your coach
>Look at Subban, since he always play 25 minutes per game he pretty much fixed his flaws
>And when he makes a bad risky play, he won't esitate to do another one right after because he knows he's good enough to do so

>IMO, next fall, no top 6 for Chucky means= coaching staff has screwed up his development
>If he feels the need to carry the team on his shoulders, do you guys think it will motivate him to get better?
>Of course it will, and that's when his leadership traits will appear
>But now Galchenyuk apprehends games like he isn't an important piece to the team, and he depends of veterans

>I don't know about you, fellow HF Habbers, but I don't see much difference & progression between 18 years old Galchenyuk and 20 years old Galchenyuk
>This isn't normal.

He's a 19 year old kid that missed basically his whole 17 year old season, I think people expect too much, too soon. Playing 3rd line and occasionally with Plekanec and with some PP time is the perfect slot for him, still a work in progress.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012

No chance imo, Desharnais is ahead of chucky for now. Gally is playing exactly where he should be playing.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

It's called fore-checking, Galchenyuk just can't do it very well right now. He has a very hard time deciding when to commit to a fore-check or when to throw a hit.

I agree with you, as soon as he has the puck he's a league over Desharnais, without it, he's a big league behind Desharnais.

This matters, not just defensively. When you can keep the possession going it leads to more chances for the real talent(Maxpac-Gallagher). I have seen many times where plays could be created and Galchenyuk just cruise beside the puck without commitment, that's where his age shows.

Eller vs Desharnais vs Plekanec is a more interesting conversation. My feeling is: if you play Eller top 6 for a longer period, he will make it. But for the life of him, Eller doesn't produce with everyone right now. He needs to play with skilled players on his wing to work, he won't create the line, he's the grinder! That's why he is struggling with Moen-Prust-Weise-Gionta etc. They are not what he needs at all. By bringing in Vanek you also activate Eller imo, because he now gets Galchenyuk. Heck, I would call back Sven and just try it(Galchenyuk-Eller-Andri), but I guess that's impossible contract wise. And then if Eller is activated, why do you need Galchenyuk in the middle right now? You don't. (He's your 3rd LW, after the others team have to match up against Maxpac AND Vanek!) He will get his chance in a few years when Desharnais-Pleks slow down / traded / are let go.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
He's needs to find a chair, play stronger on the puck and play the man better. overall, I'm pretty happy with him.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Eller is very expendable but one game with Briere as the 3C and Plekanec was basically destroyed - he's a work horse but he can't be expected to carry the load of every single defensive zone starts. And Galchenyuk is, for now, as bad defensively as Briere is. We need that third line to be able to absorb defensive zone assignments and we don't have enough 2-way wingers to shelter Galchenyuk.

The PP is another story though, he should be replacing Desharnais on the first wave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad