Galchenyuk needs to be front-line C (and PP)

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'd say it's even if not a bit in galch's favor offensively. Defensively is another story. DD is no defensive stalwart, but he looks like Carbo out there compared to Chucky.

There's a choice to be made about our centers, but not quite yet.

Desharnais probably does have a slight edge defensively, but were talking about bad and slightly worse so how much does it really matter.

But playing defensively on the wing is different from on center. For instance if Galchenyuk's natural tendancy is to go down low to help his D, then it's something that can hurt your defensive coverage as a winger, but can be a good quality for a center. He seems to get lost a bit in the defensive zone, is it because he's bad, or is it because he's fighting his instincts?

During his rookie season when he played center he actually looked pretty good defensively.

It's called fore-checking, Galchenyuk just can't do it very well right now. He has a very hard time deciding when to commit to a fore-check or when to throw a hit.

I agree with you, as soon as he has the puck he's a league over Desharnais, without it, he's a big league behind Desharnais.

This matters, not just defensively. When you can keep the possession going it leads to more chances for the real talent(Maxpac-Gallagher). I have seen many times where plays could be created and Galchenyuk just cruise beside the puck without commitment, that's where his age shows.

I'm not sure I'd put Desharnais's forechecking ahead of Galchenyuk, but it should be noted it's a more important skill to have as a winger then a center. So it would actually be a reason to move Galchenyuk to center, he'd get the puck more often and not be the line's primary forechekers.

Eller vs Desharnais vs Plekanec is a more interesting conversation. My feeling is: if you play Eller top 6 for a longer period, he will make it. But for the life of him, Eller doesn't produce with everyone right now. He needs to play with skilled players on his wing to work, he won't create the line, he's the grinder! That's why he is struggling with Moen-Prust-Weise-Gionta etc. They are not what he needs at all. By bringing in Vanek you also activate Eller imo, because he now gets Galchenyuk. Heck, I would call back Sven and just try it(Galchenyuk-Eller-Andri), but I guess that's impossible contract wise. And then if Eller is activated, why do you need Galchenyuk in the middle right now? You don't. (He's your 3rd LW, after the others team have to match up against Maxpac AND Vanek!) He will get his chance in a few years when Desharnais-Pleks slow down / traded / are let go.

You ask why do you need Galchenyuk in the middle? The simple answer is that it provides the biggest potential reward. I'm a big Eller fan, I'd put Eller in the top-6 and move DD to wing if I could. But lets face it the final call should be what's best for Galchenyuk's development. I think a sheltered offensive role at center is better for his development than a semi-sheltered role at wing.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

The thing with Galchenyuk is that I don't see any signs of progression in his game, even after 100 NHL games.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
The thing with Galchenyuk is that I don't see any signs of progression in his game, even after 100 NHL games.

He is a little more comfortable with the puck and also isn't getting rid of it as fast as he use to. The only thing he needs to get rid of is using that same move everytime, just drive the net kid and don't get scared of it being physical

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Can't play defense. Not good enough in the circle. Same arguments why Seguin was not center ready either. Boston is legit cup contender so it made sense to move him. Galchenyuk should be playing at least some center. How can you learn the position if you don't play it? Can he really learn from Plek and DD when his skill level is so much higher?

Saintpatrick*

You sir are going to get ripped by all the DD fans.

There are DD fans? :sarcasm: I hope he does get some center time sometime in the near future. How the hell is he going to adjust to the position in the NHL if he doesn't? Putting him on the 3rd line is a waste of his talents, He should get our best two wingers and let him do what he does best, set up goals.

Wildbeliefs

Oct 30, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I wouldn't go as far as saying no signs of progression, but I agree that he isn't progressing very fast. He still doesn't look comfortable out there.

I definitely think his progression would accelerate exponentially if he was playing center. Hopefully next season...

Btw how can some people say that DD's forecheck isn't superior to Galchenyuk's? Love him or hate him, DD creates turnovers on the forecheck, steals pucks and intercepts them. I don't see any of that from Chuckie.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
No worries. Galchenyuk will be the team's top line center but he's not ready for that yet. What's the rush anyways? He's gradually getting more ice time and give him another 2 years to become the player he's destined to be.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Which position is MacKinnon playing? Why the rush? Is it solely because of the DD hate? Why does he need to play C RIGHT NOW! And no...he wouldn't be better. MacKinnon is being sheltered the same way and he's not going to lose some progression years because of it. And yes, I know...MacKinnon is at his 1st year while Galchy is at his 2nd year. Yet, Galchenyuk, last year, was coming from not having played a full year before that. So for me, that's the same thing. Next year? Yes, He will have to be at C somehow. This year? RIGHT NOW! In the middle of a playoff rush, in March?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think gally's gonna be a keeper, but most games I'm expecting to see more. This isn't just in his NHL games either. During the WJC he was rather unimpressive as well, but I think he's got the skill to be very very good, I don't see a superstar though, maybe one day, but there's not much to suggest he'll be one imo.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Galchenyuk should get more responsibility, that's all. If it's wing for now that's good too. He doesn't really need to play C right now but he's got good talent and we shouldn't have MT reducing his minutes.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Which position is MacKinnon playing? Why the rush? Is it solely because of the DD hate? Why does he need to play C RIGHT NOW! And no...he wouldn't be better. MacKinnon is being sheltered the same way and he's not going to lose some progression years because of it. And yes, I know...MacKinnon is at his 1st year while Galchy is at his 2nd year. Yet, Galchenyuk, last year, was coming from not having played a full year before that. So for me, that's the same thing. Next year? Yes, He will have to be at C somehow. This year? RIGHT NOW! In the middle of a playoff rush, in March?

Agreed, it's silly really. I won't be upset if he's playing wing again next year, in fact, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. This isn't going to hurt him even a little bit.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Agreed, it's silly really. I won't be upset if he's playing wing again next year, in fact, I'd be shocked if he wasn't. This isn't going to hurt him even a little bit.

Just that at one point, our C line needs to indeed get bigger. I would agree with you that he'd still could be at the wings next year yet....somehow....I envision Eller to be traded at draft day or around. Which, in my head, will put Galchy at the C of a, maybe, more offensive 3rd line.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Just that at one point, our C line needs to indeed get bigger. I would agree with you that he'd still could be at the wings next year yet....somehow....I envision Eller to be traded at draft day or around. Which, in my head, will put Galchy at the C of a, maybe, more offensive 3rd line.

Possibly, I don't like the idea of giving up on eller, we'll see, but if we do, hopefully it's not for more character and another 4th liner.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Tbh I don't see anything outstanding from him, he needs to get to the dirty areas ala Gallagher, is just not that noticeable when he's on the ice. He needs time to develop I realize that but so far not much to get excited about. I wonder if a trip to Hamilton would do him some good, it sure helped pacioretty.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Possibly, I don't like the idea of giving up on eller, we'll see, but if we do, hopefully it's not for more character and another 4th liner.

I wouldn't give up on Eller either. But at one point, the coach will want to have a team as he likes it. And for now, though everything can change (see Ryan White), Eller doesn't seem to be part of his favorite lineup.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Galchenyuk needs to be tried at Center, and DD needs to be tried at RW, at the beginning of the next season. Preferably, but not necessarily, on the same line, with Max Pacioretty hold the LW spot.

Other combos could also be possible.

Experiments should be made during preseason -- at the beginning of season. Not with 15 games left to play.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Tbh I don't see anything outstanding from him, he needs to get to the dirty areas ala Gallagher, is just not that noticeable when he's on the ice. He needs time to develop I realize that but so far not much to get excited about. I wonder if a trip to Hamilton would do him some good, it sure helped pacioretty.

I think we were in a tough spot, not good enough for the NHL, too good for Junior, he;ll be fine, but being a top 3 pick comes sometimes with unrealistic expectations. He's got talent that's undeniable and although I share your assessment that he's usually invisible, from a production standpoint he's fine, I think it's a good thing when a kid looks invisible and still produces well. It bodes well for us when he does start taking games over imo.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

I think we were in a tough spot, not good enough for the NHL, too good for Junior, he;ll be fine, but being a top 3 pick comes sometimes with unrealistic expectations. He's got talent that's undeniable and although I share your assessment that he's usually invisible, from a production standpoint he's fine, I think it's a good thing when a kid looks invisible and still produces well. It bodes well for us when he does start taking games over imo.

He's consistantly putting up points, even when playing a <soso game... At least that's a good thing, pretty sure he gets his points because he's more skilled than everyone else on this team, unlike the others looking for garbages. Now he just need to learn how to play better and everything will be fine with him.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He has to shoot a bit more often. There was a few occassion where I though he would have had a solid chance only to pass the puck to someone in a less dangerous position. That skill is definitely not lacking though... lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad