Gagner to take the #9

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
They're "honored" not retired. Same reason Erat wears #10.

Except Hull and Steen had their numbers (#9, #25) retired by the franchise before the team moved to Arizona. The rest of the numbers are honored (save Gretzky's, which is a league-wide retirement).

That's why Ribeiro wore 63 with the Mutts (6+3=9). Only time a Coyote has worn the #9 was when Brett Hull played here and Bobby asked to have the number unretired for him.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Except Hull and Steen had their numbers (#9, #25) retired by the franchise before the team moved to Arizona. The rest of the numbers are honored (save Gretzky's, which is a league-wide retirement).

I forgot Hull and Steen were "retired" prior to the team moving to Phoenix. And I'm aware of the Hull ordeal. In any event, I like the fact that they are willing to let players wear the numbers that were retired by the franchise while in Winnipeg because, IMO, that part of the history should be severed the moment the team in Winnipeg decided on naming the new team the "Jets".

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I personally tend to agree with you - and I'd think Winnipeg fans would agree, because many of them think the Jets in our ring of honor shouldn't be there. Just interested to know whether or not there was some sort of approval process like with Brett Hull or if the new ownership just decided, "Screw it, let the kid have it."

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Exactly, and i don't know why number 66 is retired league wide either, but whatever.

It's not officially retired but now one is going to wear it

mario-lemieux-aisle.jpg

Unless your name is T.J Brodie and its 2010-11 season. But he only played 3 games

Last edited:

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I like it. I'm very excited to have him on our team.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I forgot Hull and Steen were "retired" prior to the team moving to Phoenix. IMO, that part of the history should be severed the moment the team in Winnipeg decided on naming the new team the "Jets".
This.
I personally tend to agree with you - and I'd think Winnipeg fans would agree, because many of them think the Jets in our ring of honor shouldn't be there.
... and this. It'd be cool if Roenick and Tkachuk's numbers were in those weird kachina colors, but seeing blue and white on the ceiling is really, really odd.
Exactly, and i don't know why number 66 is retired league wide either, but whatever.
Because doing that would raise questions about Gordie Howe's #9, Bobby Orr's #4, Doug Harvey's #2 and Nicklas Lidstrom's #5, all of whom were better than Lemieux.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Because doing that would raise questions about Gordie Howe's #9, Bobby Orr's #4, Doug Harvey's #2 and Nicklas Lidstrom's #5, all of whom were better than Lemieux.

Ehhh, i don't think so. Mario was considered by some to be better than Gretzky, and although the players you've mentioned are generational talents, they were not on the same level of Gretzky and Mario.

Plus 99 and 66 aren't common numbers. If Gretzky wore number(s) 1, 2, 9, 17, 18, etc. I don't believe they'd have retired it league wide, since at the time he was playing (and many years before him) those numbers were used regularly.

IMO, there's no reason whatsoever that 66 shouldn't be retired league wide along side 99.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
This.... and this. It'd be cool if Roenick and Tkachuk's numbers were in those weird kachina colors, but seeing blue and white on the ceiling is really, really odd.Because doing that would raise questions about Gordie Howe's #9, Bobby Orr's #4, Doug Harvey's #2 and Nicklas Lidstrom's #5, all of whom were better than Lemieux.

:laugh:

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
Ehhh, i don't think so. Mario was considered by some to be better than Gretzky, and although the players you've mentioned are generational talents, they were not on the same level of Gretzky and Mario.

You don't think B. Orr is at the same level as those two?

A lot of ppl still regard him as the most talented player ever to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad