Player Discussion Gabriel Landeskog-Value sky high, Nuge-low. But why?

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is having a rough year, I love him as a player. I'm having a hard time understanding why his value is perceived so low by many (including some of our own fans), yet Landeskog is having a worse season on a historically bad team and his value is flying with the Boeings. im just curious as to that thought process :shakehead

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Landy is a big physical player. Lots of teams and fans view that type of player as more capable of contributing than a soft skilled center like Nuge.

???

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Umm, who cares, sincerely.

Edit: Because Landeskog and his "intangibles" have been overrated since his rookie year. Things like this are Toews is making $10M and was listed as one of the NHL's 100 best, when better players from his own generation were left off the list.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is having a rough year, I love him as a player. I'm having a hard time understanding why his value is perceived so low by many (including some of our own fans), yet Landeskog is having a worse season on a historically bad team and his value is flying with the Boeings. im just curious as to that thought process :shakehead

because Nuge is flailing at times on a good team, on the 2nd or 3rd line

it's easier to get the benefit of the doubt on the historically bad team

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Perception.

Landeskog is one of the leagues most overrated players and has been his entire career.

I'm also beginning to wonder how much longer Nathan MacKinnon is going to be given the benefit of the doubt.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada

I wouldn't take too much stock in the opinions on HFboards to gauge the NHL and league interest in players.
I'm sure to GMs that Nuge holds more value then most on these boards afford him and would be very comparable to Landeskog.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
It's only Hfboards opinions on their value were looking at, not real life. There's lots of NHL higher ups that have said nice things about RNH's game, moreso than Landeskog. I think RNH has had a slight edge over Landeskog since they entered the league, plus he plays a more important position. So yeh I agree, the values are wack around these parts.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Umm, who cares, sincerely.

Edit: Because Landeskog and his "intangibles" have been overrated since his rookie year. Things like this are Toews is making $10M and was listed as one of the NHL's 100 best, when better players from his own generation were left off the list.

Toews is more overpaid than he is overrated. Can't argue against 3 cups and 2 Olympic golds.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Toews is more overpaid than he is overrated. Can't argue against 3 cups and 2 Olympic golds.

Can't argue the cups or the medals, but he's always had the team to do it. I'll use Ea NHL games as an example; Toews is not, hasn't and never will be a player who deserves a 95 rating and wont ever be on Crosby's level (same rating)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

He didn't Win them, He is a Cup Champion, he didn't win in. TEAMs win, a player becomes a Champion.

By this flawed logic, Henri Richard is the greatest player of all time.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Just to note though, I don't really think Landeskog has 'sky high' value around the league.

Sakic is asking for that, but he isn't going to get it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
He didn't Win them, He is a Cup Champion, he didn't win in. TEAMs win, a player becomes a Champion.

By this flawed logic, Henri Richard is the greatest player of all time.

Toews played a huge role in the first 2 cups and 1st Olympic gold. It's easier to forget that now that he's off his ELC

I still think anyone who gets paid 10.5M would look overrated. Including McDavid.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Veyr good question. Landeskog is still riding a hot 1st 2 years in the league. Since then, literally (and I mean literally) hes seen his pts/60 and shots drop every year. Producing at average 2nd line/3rd line levels

Some team is going to get hosed in a deal if they offer up much value for him. Hes closer to a Benoit Pouliot type career than a Wheeler

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I still think Nuge can bounce back. This is an adjustment year going from being a top line/#2C for much of the year on the top PP to being often a #3C and #2PP guy. I'd argue even on a bad team its easier to produce as a top liner top PP guy. We'll see if Nuge can adapt. Certainly doesn't help that all 3 of Lucic, Nuge and Eberle decided to have a down year. Another huge issue to Nuge's assist totals are that Eberle is usually his triggerman, and Eberle's finishing ability has been awful this year compared to his norm. Throw another 8 goals Eberle's way and another 5-8 assists to Nuge and suddenly things don't look as bad.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
because Nuge is flailing at times on a good team, on the 2nd or 3rd line

it's easier to get the benefit of the doubt on the historically bad team

When the Oilers were awful, our players certainly didn't get the benefit of the doubt, they were usually blamed, called cancers and perpetual losers.

It's the two fanbases, Canadian teams with large followings will have their players run down on these boards, justifiably or not.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Because RNH is an Oiler and his every move gets scrutinized by the media/fans.

Also, HF boards isn't a good indicator of a players value, we're just a bunch of hockey nerds with a herd mentality that make certain players look good/bad

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
When the Oilers were awful, our players certainly didn't get the benefit of the doubt, they were usually blamed, called cancers and perpetual losers.

It's the two fanbases, Canadian teams with large followings will have their players run down on these boards, justifiably or not.

they got as much benefit of the doubt as Oilers players are going to get, everybody hates us, embrace it

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
On the Oilers, I rather have Landeskog. #3C is easier to find

I completely and totally disagree. Good centres are, and always have been, harder to find than good wingers. Look up andread comments from Detroit GM Ken Holland for example. He values D and C far higher than wingers. It's not like Landeskog is much of a line driver like Ovechkin, Stamkos, or even Hall. Hell, he scored 20 goals last year and is on pace for fewer this year. We picked up patty maroon, who has 20 goals right now, for a bag of pucks.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I completely and totally disagree. Good centres are, and always have been, harder to find than good wingers. Look up andread comments from Detroit GM Ken Holland for example. He values D and C far higher than wingers. It's not like Landeskog is much of a line driver like Ovechkin, Stamkos, or even Hall. Hell, he scored 20 goals last year and is on pace for fewer this year. We picked up patty maroon, who has 20 goals right now, for a bag of pucks.

I agree with this but RNH isn't very good. Both are more of a complimentary players. Landeskog I see as a better fit on the Oilers. Having him on the team push the Maroon and Lucic down as RNH is stapled on the 3C with 6M attached to him

For every Maroon deal there's a Reinhart deal. Don't expect to see this very often

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Colorado is in the tank, and the franchise is looking to make changes.

Losing teams looking to make changes talk to other teams about roster changes.

Teams talking about trades leads to leaks to the media.

Leaks to the media lead to stories about the players mentioned in the trade talks.

A situation of perception on why would the player is being talked about in terms of "higher value."

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
remember right after the Yak trade I created a thread about who the new whipping boy would be--pissed off a lot of posters

some of those same posters are leading the charge to run eberle and nuge out of town--why? because

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad