Gabriel Landeskog - Kitchener Rangers, OHL

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Ok, so Plymouth traded up twice in the import draft to take this kid at #3 overall and he's already reported to be coming over to their camp. Already 6' tall, weighing 201lbs at age 16 and he's the youngest player in Djurgardens history. 4 goals in 6 games at the U-18 worlds and very good numbers in U-18 and U-20 play back home.

Can anyone give me some insight on his play and what kind of player he projects to be? So far everything I've read has me really excited about this prospect.

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
Eliteprospects has this description of him an I feel it's accurate from what I've seen.

An offensively skilled forward with good speed, technical skills and hockey sense. Landeskog likes to shoot the puck and finish plays himself. Scoring touch is pretty could, but he could pass the puck more often. Loves to throw his body around and play physical and is a very good penalty killer.

Personally I'm heartbroken that it looks like he's leaving for NA. He is our most promising prospect no doubt. To even get a game for us at his age is huge (even managed to get an assist in three games) and I feel he could be getting regular playing time in the SEL already next year. Rumored to be a top 10 maybe even top five pick in 2011.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
He's way ahead of most people when they were 16. He's roughly on the same level as Pääjärvi was IMO.

Probably even ahead of Paajarvi. Paajarvi 2 years prior to draft wasn't even close to make Malmo's senior team. He wasn't an impact player in J20 even. Paajarvi was a bit younger than Landeskog now though.

Backstrom is a late born, and wasn't close to Landeskog at the same age. Backis is a bit of a late bloomer though.

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
Probably even ahead of Paajarvi. Paajarvi 2 years prior to draft wasn't even close to make Malmo's senior team. He wasn't an impact player in J20 even. Paajarvi was a bit younger than Landeskog now though.

Backstrom is a late born, and wasn't close to Landeskog at the same age. Backis is a bit of a late bloomer though.

& Mikael Backlund was the most promissing out of these until the injuries came to say hi.

2005-2006 (age of 16)
Västerås J20 SuperElit 25 15 16 31
Västerås Allsvenskan 12 2 2 4

We have to wait and see. :)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
& Mikael Backlund was the most promissing out of these until the injuries came to say hi.

2005-2006 (age of 16)
Vдsterеs J20 SuperElit 25 15 16 31
Vдsterеs Allsvenskan 12 2 2 4

We have to wait and see. :)

Yeah, and he is a good prospect. But, you missed the point, he was drafted in 2007, so season when he scored 31 pts in 25 games was his season before the draft. And I was speaking about 2 seasons before the draft like in Laneskogs case. 2 seasons before the draft Backlund wasn't playing in J20 at all.

As for 1 season before the draft, there were several Swedes who had PPG or better results: Backstrom, Backlund, MPS, Lander, Wallen, Josefson. You can count Bodker aswell.

Last edited:

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
Yeah, and he is a good prospect. But, you missed the point, he was drafted in 2007, so season when he scored 31 pts in 25 games was his season before the draft. And I was speaking about 2 seasons before the draft like in Laneskogs case. 2 seasons before the draft Backlund wasn't playing in J20 at all.

As for 1 season before the draft, there were several Swedes who had PPG or better results: Backlund, MPS, Lander, Wallen, Josefson.

Well proved. Landeskog has impressed me quite a while (as most of the swedish top prospects). I wish him all the best. :)

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
This kid is an absolute stud. He can change momentum in games by doing 'milan lucic-MVP-shifts' (without the fighting), where he hits everything... PLUS he is overall a fantastic hockeytalant offensively as defensively. Top10 pick for 2011.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
This kid is an absolute stud. He can change momentum in games by doing 'milan lucic-MVP-shifts' (without the fighting), where he hits everything... PLUS he is overall a fantastic hockeytalant offensively as defensively. Top10 pick for 2011.

This kid sounds like an absolute stud who will play 3/4 years in the O and is comitted to coming over. Why is Plymouth the only one who saw this kid if he is so good?

Pentothal

Listen with one ear
Dec 30, 2008
It's not even close
This kid sounds like an absolute stud who will play 3/4 years in the O and is comitted to coming over. Why is Plymouth the only one who saw this kid if he is so good?

Maybe they didn't know he was available. I still hope he isn't, but it doesn't look good. Gabriel Landeskog and Adam Larsson are the next two true grade A prospect to come out of Sweden. All the professional scouts are bound to know all about a guy like that.

Sigh.

Last edited:

Rediscoveryx

May 10, 2002
Norrland, Sweden
Visit site

Hmm... Won't this be Pääjärvi's third season for Timrå if he stays? I think he did something like 30 games or so for Timrå two years prior to the draft. A bit OT though.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Hmm... Won't this be Pääjärvi's third season for Timrå if he stays? I think he did something like 30 games or so for Timrå two years prior to the draft. A bit OT though.

I'm comaring Paajarvi in 2006/07 season and Landeskog in 2008/09 season.

Feds on D

Mar 11, 2008
Göteborg, Sweden
I have no clue as to how legit "hockeymagasinet.com" is, but they seem to have talked to Landeskog about going over to NA.

Enligt uppgifter till HM: så är det relativt säkert (även om det inte är helt 100 procent) att “Gabbe†sticker över och spelar för Plymouth Whalers i den tuffa OHL-ligan.

“Gabbe†har undvikit att skriva a-lagskontrakt under hela sommaren, och har hela tiden varit öppen och ärlig gentemot Djurgården, med att det har varit hans dröm att få spela i kanadensiska juniorligan.

Sloppy translation:

According to sources: Even if it's still not 100% certain that Landeskog will leave for the OHL and play for the Plymouth Whalers next season, it does seem very likely.

Djurgården has tried to sign "Gabbe" throughout the summer, but Landeskog has declined and explained that it has been a dream of his to play junior in Canada.

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
Used google to translate an info page on him to english and his name changed to Gabriel Country Forest? So Landeskog is english for country forest? Or is that just a mistake? Btw, how do you pronounce his last name?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad