Gabriel Carlsson

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While he may never be a top 4 guy, to indicate there has been no improvement is simply not correct. I agree he's a 6-8 type guy but I think he's that on a lot of teams. He was behind Harry, Gavin and even Kukan (may still be as we don't truly know pecking order due to injury). Again, I'm not saying he's a great d-man but I do think his game has improved to a point where he is no longer considered an AHL d-man.

I meant no improvement over last year. He made the step up from AHL caliber D to #6-#8D last season.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Any improvement?

Stat-wise he does not look too shabby.

2021-22
6.png
Columbus Blue Jackets
NHL3425784|

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Any improvement?

Stat-wise he does not look too shabby.

2021-22
6.png
Columbus Blue Jackets
NHL3425784|
Don't see him being any more than a bottom pair or NHL extra at this point. Not a bad player but no exceptional qualities and doesn't use his size to his advantage. Isn't overly skilled. Not a bad player but would see him as one of the extra D-men for CBJ next year or potentially moved. I do see him being qualified as there is no reason not to but just not seeing him as a long term fit. Unfortunate as I liked him coming out but he hasn't really progressed as I'm sure the CBJ hoped. Improvement? Yes. Good enough to hold a lineup spot... I don't think so

Reactions: tunnelvision

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he's played better this year, I just think he needs to move on to another team. I think he'll be a 3rd pairing Dman on another team.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I would guess that it's time for Carlsson to move along, but if Harrington and Kukan are gone, which seems likely, they're going to need to keep some of the depth. I could see Bayreuther and Carlsson staying on as the #7/8 guys.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
doesn't use his size to his advantage. Isn't overly skilled.

This. You want your 6’5” defenseman to play like a 6’5” defenseman. Or at the very least a 6’3” defenseman. Especially if he isn’t the most skilled guy in the world.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This. You want your 6’5” defenseman to play like a 6’5” defenseman. Or at the very least a 6’3” defenseman. Especially if he isn’t the most skilled guy in the world.
so why are not the coaches and his teamates telling him to use his size? whats the problem? if my coaches and teammates told me to use my size more and play physical - i would do it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
so why are not the coaches and his teamates telling him to use his size? whats the problem? if my coaches and teammates told me to use my size more and play physical - i would do it.

He is using his physique to the best of his abilities. When you're hunched over and lacking muscle that's just not a great physique, 6'5 or not.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
They have been trying. Unfortunately the message isn't getting through and it doesn't appear to be his makeup. That's why he doesn't play every night.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Just cause he's tall doesn't mean he's big.

I could live with him as the 7th defenseman but little more than that at this point. It's weird, when he first arrived he looked like a decent-to-good skater, but he hasn't looked good in that regard for a while. Maybe I'm conflating memories but that's how I remember it.

Unfortunately I think he's got a shadow cast on him because of where he was picked in the draft and who was picked after him. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but it feels like it does.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They have been trying. Unfortunately the message isn't getting through and it doesn't appear to be his makeup. That's why he doesn't play every night.
It's not in his physical makeup. When have we ever seen him accidentally even show his strength? He's a 6'5 beanpole, stop expecting him to throw people around.

I could live with him as the 7th defenseman but little more than that at this point. It's weird, when he first arrived he looked like a decent-to-good skater, but he hasn't looked good in that regard for a while. Maybe I'm conflating memories but that's how I remember it.
He was a smoother skater. Year after year of back injuries will put an end to that. Just ask Ryan Murray.
Unfortunately I think he's got a shadow cast on him because of where he was picked in the draft and who was picked after him. Maybe that shouldn't matter, but it feels like it does.
Ancient history to me.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
It's not in his physical makeup. When have we ever seen him accidentally even show his strength? He's a 6'5 beanpole, stop expecting him to throw people around.

He was a smoother skater. Year after year of back injuries will put an end to that. Just ask Ryan Murray.

Ancient history to me.
Hmmmm. Can you show me where I should have elicited a response like that? Merely pointing out efforts have been made to get him to play a game that matches his size but that's not his game and, thus, hasn't worked. And here I though we were trying to be friendly... and since you don't do sarcasm well, that's sarcasm

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hmmmm. Can you show me where I should have elicited a response like that? Merely pointing out efforts have been made to get him to play a game that matches his size but that's not his game and, thus, hasn't worked. And here I though we were trying to be friendly... and since you don't do sarcasm well, that's sarcasm
Apologies if it came out rough. You should see that we have a completely different opinion on this. "The message isn't getting through" seems like a rude thing to be saying about a player that is doing his best with his limited physique.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Apologies if it came out rough. You should see that we have a completely different opinion on this. "The message isn't getting through" seems like a rude thing to be saying about a player that is doing his best with his limited physique.

Haven't you also been pretty complimentary of Peeke's physical play? He weighs the same as Carlsson and is just 2 inches shorter. Can those 2 inches can fully explain the difference?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Haven't you also been pretty complimentary of Peeke's physical play? He weighs the same as Carlsson and is just 2 inches shorter. Can those 2 inches can fully explain the difference?

Inches and pounds only really suggest how strong someone might be. Peeke is stronger than his mass suggests and Carlsson weaker. I don't think the measurements explain much.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Someone recently told me that in terms like these, each inch is worth about 7 lb. Whether that's totally accurate, I'm not sure. But If Carlsson added 14 lb. then he would presumably be more effective physically.

I think Peeke is also just more aggressive by nature. But maybe if Carlsson had the same build his game would round out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad