GDT: G54: Wild vs Oilers 7pm CT/3am Finland (FSN+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Who: Minnesota Wild (26-22-5) vs. Edmonton Oilers (23-25-5)
Puck drop: 7:08 p.m. CT
Watch: FOX Sports North PLUS, FOX Sports App
Listen: KFAN FM 100.3, Wild Radio Network, Wild NHL App

The Wild announced on Wednesday that Mikko Koivu will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus in his right knee during Tuesday's game at Buffalo. Koivu is expected to have surgery to repair his knee on Friday.
With Koivu out, the Wild recalled forward Joel Eriksson Ek from Iowa of the American Hockey League.

Per NHL stats, Minnesota leads the NHL in goals scored by defensemen (35) and in percentage of team goals by defensemen (23.5%). The Wild blueliners also rank T-1st in the NHL with 11 PPG (Florida).
Despite not playing since Dec. 15, Matt Dumba ranks T-2nd with 12 goals and Jared Spurgeon ranks T-6th with 10.
Overall, Minnesota defensemen have totaled 110 of the team's 410 points this season, ranking sixth amongst NHL team defensemen with a 26.8 percentage.

b2383614398e27d72fe184ca2bb011837c00c7f51787f2b9fe24a360464920aa.jpg

The Wild's 114 points, 25 wins in Edmonton and 52 wins overall are the most against any franchise … Its 27 victories at Xcel Energy Center are its second-most against any franchise … The Wild is 15-6-1 in the last 22 games against the Oilers … Minnesota is 23-5-1 in the last 29 games against Edmonton at Xcel Energy Center (since 2/25/07).

Lets go Wild!

Reactions: Uberdachen

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
So if I'm not mistaken, I believe that the last time we played Edmonton, Koivu got hurt the game before (Giordano knee) and they proceeded to light us up for 7 goals.
You are not mistaken.

Expecting something similar tonight.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You are not mistaken.

I'm expecting a win tonight. The circumstances were really against MN for last EDM game: 2nd night of away back-to-backs, 3rd game in 4 days, no time for a callup, a practice, or the team to cope with the loss of a key player.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You are not mistaken.

Don't think so. Im an Oiler fan and this team has completely given up. The Tin Man has more heart. You would be hard pressed to find a pulse on this team. Fan base is very angry as you can tell by the jersey tosses now

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Don't think so. Im an Oiler fan and this team has completely given up. The Tin Man has more heart. You would be hard pressed to find a pulse on this team. Fan base is very angry as you can tell by the jersey tosses now

Well if that's the case MN is losing. They like making bad teams look like Cup contenders.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
It makes me think that Eriksson-Ek is trade bait if he doesn't do something with the opportunity, assuming he isn't already.
Sounds like both the coach and GM just called him out, so I'd say that line of thinking would be accurate.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It makes me think that Eriksson-Ek is trade bait if he doesn't do something with the opportunity, assuming he isn't already.
Not so sure its about "trade bait". I think they might just be trying to determine if he's even worth considering in future plans. Can't keep penciling him into the lineup only to realize he can't actually play.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Not so sure its about "trade bait". I think they might just be trying to determine if he's even worth considering in future plans. Can't keep penciling him into the lineup only to realize he can't actually play.
That's a better way to put it. I could see him as an add-in in a trade for a center to help the other team maintain some depth, but realistically he's not going to return a lot on his own.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is it a case of your team getting older or injuries?

I want u guys to get North Stars name back and unis

Mindset of the team more than anything. They play to their competitions level. They look good against Playoff teams, but lay eggs against bottom feeders.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

This is going to be glorious.

I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. If they were going to run Coyle as a center they would have called up a RW to replace him. Calling up JEE to be another LHS wing (he hasn't looked good on wing in the NHL) makes very little sense.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not sure why people are surprised by this. If they were going to run Coyle as a center they would have called up a RW to replace him. Calling up JEE to be another LHS wing (he hasn't looked good on wing in the NHL) makes very little sense.
It would've been my initial assumption just based on the call-up, but reports yesterday were that Boudreau was leaning toward Coyle at center. I'm not sure what those were based on though.

Edit: I also think that this...

Parise-Coyle-Kunin
Greenway-Rask-Ek

...is a marginally better option than...

Parise-Rask-Coyle
Greenyway-Ek-Kunin

The first at least gives us one line that's clicked in the past. The second just looks like two bad lines.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It would've been my initial assumption just based on the call-up, but reports yesterday were that Boudreau was leaning toward Coyle at center. I'm not sure what those were based on though.

I saw Russo speculation on twitter. It could have been because of practice lines yesterday too, but JEE didn't get called up until today (according to cap friendly).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Sounds like both the coach and GM just called him out, so I'd say that line of thinking would be accurate.

Fenton just called JEE a "very, very good player." Is that what you mean?

Anyhow, the Wild shouldn't lose to the Oilers but neither should they win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad