GDT: G39: STL @ MIN - 6 PM Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Waiting patiently to see if McIntyre is the starter. Ideally, this would be a game to see where Wallstedt is at in his player progression. Timing didn’t work out and maybe management didn’t want it to.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Waiting patiently to see if McIntyre is the starter. Ideally, this would be a game to see where Wallstedt is at in his player progression. Timing didn’t work out and maybe management didn’t want it to.

I don't see any positives for bringing Wallstedt up. IT would only be for 1 game and he can't push for a roster spot. He hasn't been great in the AHL; which is fine for where he is in his development. He can't be sheltered, like a skater can be.

If Gus/MAF was going to be out for a few weeks then it would be a different consideration. But as it stands it's just for a couple of games/days. McIntyre has an extra $25k (7ish NHL pay days, or around 12 days when considering their AHL salary) in his contract over his AHL basepay for situations like this. Most vets in the AHL (on a 2-way contract) have the guaranteed money contracts like this. It's one of the reasons why they get the random callups to sit in the pressbox over players on an ELC.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't see any positives for bringing Wallstedt up. IT would only be for 1 game and he can't push for a roster spot. He hasn't been great in the AHL; which is fine for where he is in his development. He can't be sheltered, like a skater can be.

If Gus/MAF was going to be out for a few weeks then it would be a different consideration. But as it stands it's just for a couple of games/days. McIntyre has an extra $25k (7ish NHL pay days, or around 12 days when considering their AHL salary) in his contract over his AHL basepay for situations like this. Most vets in the AHL (on a 2-way contract) have the guaranteed money contracts like this. It's one of the reasons why they get the random callups to sit in the pressbox over players on an ELC.
How about he's better than McIntyre and would give Minnesota a better chance to win?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
How about he's better than McIntyre and would give Minnesota a better chance to win?

/shrug better is somewhat an arbitrary term when you're talking about sub .900 AHL goalies. Neither should be anywhere near NHL ice. It's like asking do you want your 💩 on a sandwich or on a stick?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
/shrug better is somewhat an arbitrary term when you're talking about sub .900 AHL goalies. Neither should be anywhere near NHL ice. It's like asking do you want your 💩 on a sandwich or on a stick?
Well it's clear you know absolutely nothing about Wallstedt outside of a stat sheet.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well it's clear you know absolutely nothing about Wallstedt outside of a stat sheet.

Everything about his season so far says he's a rookie trying to find his way: good game, bad game, good game, bad game with no consistency. It's not like he started of slow and then had been great for the last month.

I also prefer not to rush the young rookies until they've proven themselves in the minors. Even more so with young goalies. A 1 game stint for a goalie is just asking for trouble, due to all goalies are headcases. If it was a 3-5 game stint I'd consider it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He isn't. McIntyre has been decent, though he had one bad outing recently.
McIntyre is better than Wallstedt? I flat out disagree with that.
Everything about his season so far says he's a rookie trying to find his way: good game, bad game, good game, bad game with no consistency. It's not like he started of slow and then had been great for the last month.

I also prefer not to rush the young rookies until they've proven themselves in the minors. Even more so with young goalies. A 1 game stint for a goalie is just asking for trouble, due to all goalies are headcases. If it was a 3-5 game stint I'd consider it.
Compare Wallstedt's last 10:
.737 (pulled)

To McIntyre's last 10:
.667 (pulled)

Wallstedt has been pretty consistent as a goalie. He's bailed the baby Wild out so many times. Right now, Wallstedt has allowed 1 goal on 25 shots and has looked fantastic against Rockford not even through two periods yet. Two breakaway saves in the 2nd period as well. I get the feeling you don't have this type of context at your disposal.

I understand why the Wild didn't call up Wallstedt. I'm just saying that if Gus wasn't ready to go, Wallstedt would be the call up and starter for me.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

.737 (pulled)

To McIntyre's last 10:
.667 (pulled)

Wallstedt has been pretty consistent as a goalie. He's bailed the baby Wild out so many times. Right now, Wallstedt has allowed 1 goal on 25 shots and has looked fantastic against Rockford not even through two periods yet. Two breakaway saves in the 2nd period as well. I get the feeling you don't have this type of context at your disposal.

I understand why the Wild didn't call up Wallstedt. I'm just saying that if Gus wasn't ready to go, Wallstedt would be the call up and starter for me.

Neither of those stat lines inspire confidence in me. At the time of the callup: replace Wallstedt's .952 from last night with the .826 as G1. There isn't the consistency in Wallstedt's games to give him a callup. Going off a .915 sv% game (reasonable expectations for an AHL goalie). McIntyre hads a 4 out of 5 chance at flopping in the NHL. Wallstedt has a 3 of 5 chance of flopping in the NHL. Less than a coinflip odds I'll take the guy (McIntyre) who nobody will care if he flops in a random 1 game start. Compared to if Wallstedt flops it'll be the end of the world as we know it.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Neither of those stat lines inspire confidence in me. At the time of the callup: replace Wallstedt's .952 from last night with the .826 as G1. There isn't the consistency in Wallstedt's games to give him a callup. Going off a .915 sv% game (reasonable expectations for an AHL goalie). McIntyre hads a 4 out of 5 chance at flopping in the NHL. Wallstedt has a 3 of 5 chance of flopping in the NHL. Less than a coinflip odds I'll take the guy (McIntyre) who nobody will care if he flops in a random 1 game start. Compared to if Wallstedt flops it'll be the end of the world as we know it.
The point you are still ignoring is that not all shots are created equal based on the team playing in front of you. For an example, look at Gustavsson's numbers last year vs this year. His numbers looked abysmal behind Ottawa's porous defense. This year, his numbers look fantastic behind the Minnesota defense.

You're comparing numbers like everyone has the same context. They do not.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.

.737 (pulled)

To McIntyre's last 10:
.667 (pulled)

Holy Moly. Lots of work there

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The point you are still ignoring is that not all shots are created equal based on the team playing in front of you. For an example, look at Gustavsson's numbers last year vs this year. His numbers looked abysmal behind Ottawa's porous defense. This year, his numbers look fantastic behind the Minnesota defense.

You're comparing numbers like everyone has the same context. They do not.

Wallstedt and McIntyre play on the same friggin team. I'm not comparing them to any other team. It's not like we're talking about a goalie with a .930 sv% season being overlooked for a .890 sv% goalie. They were both sub .900 sv% AHL goalies for the season when the callup happened.

If it was skaters it would be the same as having to pick between:
-Rossi or Petan as a callup to center the Kap/Zucc for a single game.
-ROR/Hunt or Sustr/Mermis to play 1st pair next to Dumba.
None of these skaters belong anywhere near the 1st line or 1st pair D spot in the NHL. You would put them somewhere lower in the lineup and shelter them as much as possible. You simply can't shelter a goalie like that.

GordieGallant

Oct 6, 2020
East Metro, soon to be Up North.
Let go of the stats.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Wallstedt and McIntyre play on the same friggin team. I'm not comparing them to any other team. It's not like we're talking about a goalie with a .930 sv% season being overlooked for a .890 sv% goalie. They were both sub .900 sv% AHL goalies for the season when the callup happened.

If it was skaters it would be the same as having to pick between:
-Rossi or Petan as a callup to center the Kap/Zucc for a single game.
-ROR/Hunt or Sustr/Mermis to play 1st pair next to Dumba.
None of these skaters belong anywhere near the 1st line or 1st pair D spot in the NHL. You would put them somewhere lower in the lineup and shelter them as much as possible. You simply can't shelter a goalie like that.
I'm talking about your "reasonable expectactions" of a .915 sv%.

Yes, and my argument would still be that Rossi/Hunt/Wallstedt are better than Petan/Mermis/McIntyre. Obviously, it's different for goaltending with only TWO spots. If Gus wasn't well enough to start but he could backup, I would prefer Wallstedt start. If Gus was well enough to start, then McIntyre should be the backup because he's not going to play (what actually happened). If Gus wasn't well enough at all, it should have been Wallstedt starts and McIntyre backs him up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Did that Blues player just decide to go though Spurgeon to take that shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad