Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The x-mas the wife expects:

The x-mas I hope for:

The x-mas I'll actually have:

Game stuff:
Same lineup and Gus (?) in net. Wild on a 6 game win streak. It's warm outside where they are playing and I'm jealous.

099.jpg

Lets go Wild.

*Note
I enjoy/celebrate xmas and thought it would be a fun GDT to make. It's meant to be fun; not some political, religious, or any other type of statement. Celebrate (or don't) this holiday season however you want.

Happy holidays everyone. :xtree::xsign::xkiss::xcheers::xbg::slaugh::sgrin::scool::snow::x)::santa::rudolf::hhan::grinch::gift::frosty::ghost2::brrr::cold::elf:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not a Christmas movie.

It's an action movie, a heist movie and a Bruce Willis movie way before anything holiday-related.

Christmas is a setting, not a plot point.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Not a Christmas movie.

It's an action movie, a heist movie and a Bruce Willis movie way before anything holiday-related.

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon are both great Christmas movies that are on my must watch list every Christmas season. ;)

Going forward? So is Violent Night. :x):

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Die Hard and Lethal Weapon are both great Christmas movies that are on my must watch list every Christmas season. ;)

Both are great movies that I'd watch with no hesitation. Nothing about either are Christmas-necessary.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

What about Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale or Krampus?

Pretty much any Hallmark movie around this time of year is a rom-com and Christmas is just a plot point for that. I'm curious to what people consider an x-mas movie and what they don't.

Just for the record, I don't care if people consider Die Hard a x-mas movie or not. It's not a hill I'd be willing to die on arguing either side. It really is a matter of opinion,

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Violent Night is out on a couple streaming services already.

The wife got out of bed and bought it immediately when I mentioned it to her during the 2nd intermission of the last game. :laugh: So I know what I'm doing before the game tonight...

Reactions: TaLoN

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
What about Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale or Krampus?

Pretty much any Hallmark movie around this time of year is a rom-com and Christmas is just a plot point for that. I'm curious to what people consider an x-mas movie and what they don't.

Just for the record, I don't care if people consider Die Hard a x-mas movie or not. It's not a hill I'd be willing to die on arguing either side. It really is a matter of opinion,
Krampus actually happens on December 5th/6th, and only comes if the children have been bad. Otherwise St. Nicholas comes. One could argue that it’s not “Christmas”.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Die Hard at Christmas has become a tradition, whether it makes sense or not. The Wizard of Oz used to be, and it had absolutely no tie in to Christmas within the movie.

Reactions: Wabit

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Hertl is suspended for them right? Feels like a game that we win if we can get to 3 goals, and against their D and goalies, I don’t think that will be an issue.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
There are men's xmas movies and there are xmas movies.
“Lethal Weapon” ends, as Christmas movies must, on Christmas. Riggs arrives at Murtaugh’s home, which is still battered from their epic battle with Mr. Joshua, to present Murtaugh with a Christmas gift. It’s not the biggest goose in the window or a raise, nor is it a bell to ring so a second-class angel can get promoted. It’s his hollow point suicide bullet, wrapped in a big red bow. Black's screenplay might have only been incidentally set at Christmastime, but his denouement could not come more directly from Dickens' own playbook: Riggs no longer sees himself as a solitary passenger to the grave.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Man the schedule is great lately, when was the last time we played a team that was more interested in the Cup than Connor Bedard?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Man the schedule is great lately, when was the last time we played a team that was more interested in the Cup than Connor Bedard?
December 12th, 2-1 win over the Oilers.
Or if you want a team the Wild don't inexplicably dominate against, December 4th, 6-5 win over the Stars.

Not a Christmas movie.

I'm not saying you're wrong (because I'm not sure you are), but if Christmas as a setting doesn't make for a Christmas movie, I'm not sure many Christmas movies exist.

Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer - Movie about not prejudging others.
A Christmas Carol - Story about redemption.
Frosty the Snowman - Life is short, people can be awful, don't forget to dress appropriately for the weather.
A Christmas Story - Movie about patience paying off (or sometimes not), and wearing proper eye-wear while operating machinery.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Or if you want a team the Wild don't inexplicably dominate against, December 4th, 6-5 win over the Stars.

We did play Calgary after Dallas. They were a pretty good team last year aren't that far behind Oilers in the standings.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Exactly what Lethal Weapon is about, just as It's a Wonderful Life is as well.
Die Hard has that to a lesser extend with Al, and with John trying to get back with his family.

The bullets that fly between the Christmas morals? That's why it's a Christmas action flick.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I'm not saying you're wrong (because I'm not sure you are), but if Christmas as a setting doesn't make for a Christmas movie, I'm not sure many Christmas movies exist.

Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer - Movie about not prejudging others.
Frosty the Snowman - Life is short, people can be awful, don't forget to dress appropriately for the weather.
A Christmas Story - Movie about patience paying off (or sometimes not), and wearing proper eye-wear while operating machinery.

I haven't seen any of the Die Hard movies, but the ones you listed here all explicitly revolve around Christmas as a main plot point. What you listed are the morals of the stories, not just the setting (even though the setting is Christmas time, because again, they all explicitly revolve around Christmas).

One of the more recent examples that comes to my mind, that I've seen, is the Hawkeye series from Marvel. The finale episode takes place leading up to Christmas, and is more or less a plot point (gotta solve this problem by Christmas, gotta be home for Christmas with the family, can't miss Christmas). Where does Christmas cease to become just a setting, and where does it start to become a plot point is the question I guess.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't seen any of the Die Hard movies, but the ones you listed here all explicitly revolve around Christmas as a main plot point. What you listed are the morals of the stories, not just the setting (even though the setting is Christmas time, because again, they all explicitly revolve around Christmas).
This is true, enough, and they're all certainly more intertwined with Christmas as a holiday than Die Hard is. I can't help but feel, though, that something like A Christmas Carol would be fine if it were instead An Easter Story. It's story isn't about Christmas, it's about Scrooge, and Christmas just happens to be the time the spirits are able to visit him. They could have been any holiday's spirits and the story would have been largely the same.

Anyway, it's made me wonder what necessarily makes a "Christmas Movie". I'm sure for some people it has to intimately involve the holiday itself. For some people, maybe Weekend at Bernie's is a Christmas movie because their family has watched it every Christmas for the last 20 years. Who am I to judge them as wrong? It's right in the way they mean it. That's what the whole discussion got me thinking about. I just found that interesting.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is true, enough, and they're all certainly more intertwined with Christmas as a holiday than Die Hard is. I can't help but feel, though, that something like A Christmas Carol would be fine if it were instead An Easter Story. It's story isn't about Christmas, it's about Scrooge, and Christmas just happens to be the time the spirits are able to visit him. They could have been any holiday's spirits and the story would have been largely the same.

Anyway, it's made me wonder what necessarily makes a "Christmas Movie". I'm sure for some people it has to intimately involve the holiday itself. For some people, maybe Weekend at Bernie's is a Christmas movie because their family has watched it every Christmas for the last 20 years. Who am I to judge them as wrong? It's right in the way they mean it. That's what the whole discussion got me thinking about. I just found that interesting.

Yeah I think this is the main takeaway for the whole discussion. It's all subjective.

Reactions: BagHead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad