G Zach Fucale (2013, 36th, MTL)

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
6'0" 166 drafted 11th overall by the Halifax Mooseheads in the 2011 Q draft.

Zach has been playing very well lately on a full time basis with Anthony Terenzio being injured. He has a record of 8-1-1 with a 3.01 GAA and .884 save percentage this year and is looking stronger with every start. IMO as of right now he is a top contender to be on Canada's U18 team next summer and one of the top goalies taken in the 2013 NHL draft.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
He plays well beyond his age. Very composed and solid for a 16YO. Great choice for team Quebec. Looking good for his draft year.

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
Fucale backstopped the Mooseheads to a 2-1 win this afternoon as he stopped 31 out of 32 shots- huge win as this was the 3rd game in 3 days for the Mooseheads and due to injuries on the trip they were playing with a short bench.

As of last night Zach was 9-3-1 with a 2.91GAA and .892 SVP so those numbers will have improved with today's game.

Wilsonian

Dec 8, 2011
Haliwood
Zach Fucale- G - Halifax Mooseheads

Rookie goalie Zach Fucale who took over from #1 Goalie Anthony Terenzio because of injury, is now one of the most promising 16 year old goalies in the Q. Scouts have complemented him on his outstanding form, comfort in the net, and sound technique. Comparisons? thoughts? Draft ranking potentials?

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
saw Fucale play yesterday against Saint John. Fans voted him the hardest working Moosehead. I thought he played well and got lucky when he needed a break. Gautheir had a breakaway and he made the initial save then the puck squired around the other side and Gautheir got it again and it hit the far post. Didnt realize he was 16 till i saw the program

Wilsonian

Dec 8, 2011
Haliwood
The games I have seen hes played tremendous. Some of the saves have been spectacular, not to mention hes the calmest goalie I have ever seen in net, hes very efficient with his movement and posture. A few things that ive noticed that need to improve (Remember hes only 16 and they will improve) are his stick-handling capabilities, and consistency. Once a goal is scored on him, sometimes the flood gates open which has happened only a few times, but they were bad.

Regardless, I think he will be a big candidate in the 2013 draft for one of the top goalies taken.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
There was a big discussion on MT about how the Moose havent produced a great goalie since Lecaire, Giggy... I think even lala brought up some good points.

Definitely Fucs in the playoffs, Terenzio is pretty much done in Halifax.

Wilsonian

Dec 8, 2011
Haliwood
There was a big discussion on MT about how the Moose havent produced a great goalie since Lecaire, Giggy... I think even lala brought up some good points.

Definitely Fucs in the playoffs, Terenzio is pretty much done in Halifax.

Fucs, deffinately for the rest of the year and playoffs, Terenzio in my opinion isnt that good.

I disagree with you though, Halifax has produced more than just 2 goalies. Yes those are the two NHL'ers that we know and hear about, but what about Joey Macdonald, Duschene, Cassivi? who have all played the higher level, deff not as successful as leclair and giguere but pro-hockey players.

Halifaxhab*

Fucale has similar styles and traits of Fleury and Price. He is going to grow a little more by 18 and fill the net better. His technique is sound for a 16 yo.

Terenzio is a solid Q goalie and will be used for depth or traded for needed assets

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I disagree with you though, Halifax has produced more than just 2 goalies. Yes those are the two NHL'ers that we know and hear about, but what about Joey Macdonald, Duschene, Cassivi? who have all played the higher level, deff not as successful as leclair and giguere but pro-hockey players.

I believe argument is that those guys were identified and drafted by other teams and then brought in by the Mooseheads. So the failure with Halifax when it comes to netminding for much of the early 00s was identifying and drafting goaltending talent internally.

If you look at Guillaume Lavallee, Jeremy Duchesne, Dany Dallaire...they all got their start elsewhere, before coming to Halifax as experienced starters.

Meanwhile, Halifax itself developed Jason Churchill and Jonathan Boutin.

Please note that this is talking about what they brought to the Mooseheads, not what their hockey future was. The reasons why Halifax saw it fit to bring in guys like Lavallee, Duchesne and Dallaire was because they felt their own goalies needed the help.

In that vein, I'm not sure it's fair to include Cassivi or MacDonald as being produced by the Mooseheads, considering the minimal amount of time they spent with the club.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
okay so now good but they did have 2 goalies that were pretty good
Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Pascal Leclaire

i was trying to word what i said

well they were not our only good goalies...the moose had excellent goalies for the QMJHL level...Freddy Cassivi, Danny Dallaire, Alexl Volkov, Jeremy Duchesne, tecniqually Joey MacDonald.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Thank jeebus he's been so good for a 16 year old because Terenzio is a Q caliber backup, at best, from what I've seen this year (season ticket holder).

Thebeastoftheeast

Sep 12, 2009
Huge weekend with the Mooseheads having 4 games in 5 nights going through the toughest division in the Q and Zach was instrumental as Halifax picked up 5 points out of a possible 8.

He stopped 137 out of 143 shots for a .958 SVP and a 1.92 GAA in the 4 games.

EDIT- I included 2 empty netters in the Shawinigan game so GAA was 1.44 for the weekend.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad