G Ville Husso (2014, 94th, STL)

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
This kid is on fire in the SM-liiga. 17gp, 1.94GAA, .923% as an 18y old is sickening. Former WBS/Penguins goalie Brad Thiessen got fired because Husso totally outplayed him. He won't slip through the draft again, that's for sure.

Will be interesting to see which goalie starts for Finland in the WJC, Husso or Saros.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
He dropped right off the face of the planet last year, I didn't think it'd last long. Glad to see he's back.

jaa

Oct 24, 2013
Will be interesting to see which goalie starts for Finland in the WJC, Husso or Saros.

What amazes me the most is that we have two starter goalies of FEL-teams on our WJC2014 team. Finnish goaltending has always been and always will be our corner stone in international tournaments.

I think that Saros and Husso both have the potential to become NHL level goalies some day.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I would give a nod to Husso. He has an NHL-goalie frame and should be the starter in the WJC also. Saros is a great goalie, very athletic but Husso has been even better recently and will be the stone wall Finland needs to wind gold.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Ville Husso, Juuse Saros and 96-born Kaapo Kähkönen who might be most talented of the bunch.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The red flag on Husso is that he has laid big bombs at international tournaments while posting great save%s back in the Finnish domestic leagues..This suggests a "choke" mentalmeltdown when the pressure and spotlight ramps up..instead of rising to the occasion he pulls disappointing stickers and has not proved he can bail out his team in the important times...whatever. ..it does put up a red flag of doubt..Contrast to Mason McDonald who has elevated his game with stellar numbers in international play while his numbers for his Q team experiences have not been so stellar. ..albeit he did not play for good teams there and was facing nightly barrage of shots.. Still you like his.potential. ..and he was good in the Top Prospects game...Which is why some have him ahead of Thatcher Demo the too rated COS NA goalie and while Husso is top rated euro goalie by CSS the fact that Button has McDonald at #38 and Demo only late second round suggests putting Husso at #55 may be too early..probably not taken till third round. .and remember he is older than the first time eligible goalie.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Ive wondered a bit if its actully a benefit for him being undrafted because goaltenders take longer time to develope than forwards and defensman and Husso is essentially one year older so that fact might actully be beneficial when teams are looking to snap a goalie in this draft and theoretically his one year closer to "finished" product.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5 years later...its his last contract year with the Blues, again, after re-signing 1 year contract with the Blues.
Great start to his 4th season in the AHL, 3-0-0 record, 0.99 GAA, 0.963 SV%, has faced 27 shots per game, 1 SO.

.920 SV% in 22 AHL games (rookie season)
.922 SV% in 38 AHL games (sophomore season)
- last season was plagued with injuries, played only in 25 games with meh numbers

Any Blues fans think he might be ready to play in the NHL this season?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
They’re not going to carry 3 goalies and he is better of starting in San Antonio for now

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Why not. Just put Allen on the farm team. Guy has always been a pure joke.

Better to play 40+ games in the AHL than 25 in the NHL. No need to rush him to the NHL this year unless Binnington also falls flat.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Better to play 40+ games in the AHL than 25 in the NHL. No need to rush him to the NHL this year unless Binnington also falls flat.

Yeah, but I wouldn't let Allen backup a single game. Call Husso up to play, when Binnington will rest.

What prevents Husso playing games both up and down?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yeah, but I wouldn't let Allen backup a single game. Call Husso up to play, when Binnington will rest.

What prevents Husso playing games both up and down?

A roster spot? The travel arrangements. Your idea just isn’t feasible. Unless one gets hurt he will most likely stay in the AHL. Not a big deal.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Nice to see a great start for this kid after a lost season last year. He’s got everything to become an nhl goalie imo.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Will he be the back up for Binnington if Allen is no longer with the team after this season? I know he struggled last season due to injury. Is he all the way back to his best yet or is he still bothered by the ankle issue?

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Will he be the back up for Binnington if Allen is no longer with the team after this season? I know he struggled last season due to injury. Is he all the way back to his best yet or is he still bothered by the ankle issue?

At the end of last season he had a good stretch of games for the Rampage, so I tend (/hope?) to believe he's back on track. I think that if Allen gets traded the Blues will sign a free agent (or use a low draft pick) to get a goaltender with a low caphit (a guy like Louis Domingue?) and let him battle it out with Husso who's going to back up Binner next season. With Husso having a slight edge. Husso is waiver eligible starting next season and just signed a one way contract extention, so I guess the Blues at least think he will be in the mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad