G Timur Bilyalov - AK Bars Kazan, KHL (2013 Undrafted)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Decent numbers for AK Bars Kazan of the KHL this season

So far has a 7-0-1 record

5 shutouts with a .964 save percentage

Some solid numbers this season so far.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Apparently he just beat the KHL record for most shutouts in a row. 0.8 GAA over and 0.966 over 13 games.

Being only 24, is he a goalie that an NHL team could consider? I don't follow the KHL but he looks like he's done amazing last year in the KHL and also everywhere he went before?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Apparently he just beat the KHL record for most shutouts in a row. 0.8 GAA over and 0.966 over 13 games.

Being only 24, is he a goalie that an NHL team could consider? I don't follow the KHL but he looks like he's done amazing last year in the KHL and also everywhere he went before?

@Atas2000

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

He is rather small by today's game standards. The KHL has become a sort of an asylum for smaller, but talented goalies. Still, it would be an issue. He also is still a sort of 1BB backup and one could argue that he was getting easier matchups than Reideborn.
That being said, the KHL has several goalies that could make the NHL probably. The goalie gap is much smaller between the leagues. The question is given how NHL teams treat prospects, especially ones undrafted or drafted in later rounds, if those KHL goalies should give it a try even if invited. The prospect of spending 1+ seasons in the AHL might be not enticing (on the money side as well) nor helpful for development or career. And returning to the KHL after that might be even harder. So I think a lot of them 23-24y.o. guys who already have a place in the KHL secured understand what they could lose.

There are still some young goalies in the KHL who I would put ahead of Bilyalov ceiling wise. So there is that. Don't put too much stock into records. He obviously is no nobody and could give it a try, but I personally doubt he could become more than a backup in the NHL. Whether he fancies that you'd have to ask Bilyalov.

Last edited:

Grandma

Oct 23, 2017
Still has astounding numbers in the KHL and it was rumored a few months ago that the Leaf were interested in him. Has anyone heard any word on this guy since December or so?

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Still has astounding numbers in the KHL and it was rumored a few months ago that the Leaf were interested in him. Has anyone heard any word on this guy since December or so?
No but itll be interesting to see if his game translates to the NHL level. But with that height, I also don't want a Toskala 2.0

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Great quickness, but I worry about his size and the sheer fact that the KHL's skill level has also continued to plummet that he isn't necessarily being challenged. It is really bad when Jaskin is in the running for league MVP and is the leagues top goal scorer.. Dmitri Jaskin.... lol. If you notice, from a purely statistical level most of the euro leagues are having goaltending surges, and it's mostly do with a talent drain and a lack of development at the grass roots and early levels of hockey in Europe.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He got quite a lot of flak for the last EHT performance, some of the old guys dubbed him as "not made for great things", etc. To me, that's pretty BS, just like USA brass condemning Bishop as "bad" for his WC performance but that's the world we live in.
Great quickness, but I worry about his size and the sheer fact that the KHL's skill level has also continued to plummet that he isn't necessarily being challenged. It is really bad when Jaskin is in the running for league MVP and is the leagues top goal scorer.. Dmitri Jaskin.... lol.
Let's just ignore the fact that he is playing with the guy who made pretty much everyone of his wings into leading scorers and has done so for years.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The same guy who couldn't cut it in the NHL? :laugh: Thanks for helping my case.
In not even 32 minutes played in the NHL he scored a goal and was +3. If in your mind that's "couldn't cut it", once again, just shows how fact-based your cases are.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
In not even 32 minutes played in the NHL he scored a goal and was +3. If in your mind that's "couldn't cut it", once again, just shows how fact-based your cases are.

lol? So? Gemel Smith has a higher G/60 ratio. Is he a fantastic player? He'd probably light up the K but still. Anyone can score in any game. The question is if they can do it consistently, and play a style of game that was conducive to winning. Ship couldn't do that, and he didn't want to learn that coupled with his real life stupidity and mishandling, so he left. Back on track please. Thanks.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So packing a bag because you feel mistreated and underappreciated isn't the same as not being able to cut it.

Isn't Shipachyov a fantastic player? Do you have any evidence he couldn't have done that? Because you just state a giant assumption he couldn't. For such an "expert" as you consider yourself to be it should be obvious he could have because his offensive skills are amazing. But it goes against your narrative so naturally, you will never admit it.

I somehow don't hear about how good KHL is because Gavrikov or Mikheyev can jump over and make an immediate impact yet you feel obliged to point out how "ITz So bAD n0W BeCAUz Jaskin". Or that European leagues have "goaltending surges" even though major European leagues, other than NLA, have been low-scoring forever.

Reactions: Atas2000

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Can anyone offer some insight on the goalie? Is he looking for a starting job in the NHL?

Newfoundland

Jun 19, 2016
Newfoundland
Great quickness, but I worry about his size and the sheer fact that the KHL's skill level has also continued to plummet that he isn't necessarily being challenged. It is really bad when Jaskin is in the running for league MVP and is the leagues top goal scorer.. Dmitri Jaskin.... lol. If you notice, from a purely statistical level most of the euro leagues are having goaltending surges, and it's mostly do with a talent drain and a lack of development at the grass roots and early levels of hockey in Europe.
Maybe if he was actually given a chance?

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Can anyone offer some insight on the goalie? Is he looking for a starting job in the NHL?
I think that he is still not ready. If he wants to move to have some time to adjust while playing in the AHL, he can move. But I don't think that this scenario is the best for him. He can play for two more years in the KHL and try to become the best goalie here, moreover hockey here became more NA-like after change of the size of rinks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Dont they already have that young guy they think will replace him? Doubt he would want to come in just to get screwed

Primeau isn’t ready yet. You can’t leave a spot open for him yet, and Bilyalov isn’t proven enough that you know he’ll still be in NA in a few years, if he was to come to NA this season.

Reactions: Dutronc

Dutronc

May 14, 2018
Primeau isn’t ready yet. You can’t leave a spot open for him yet, and Bilyalov isn’t proven enough that you know he’ll still be in NA in a few years, if he was to come to NA this season.
I mean can't spend to much on a proven quality backup when your starter makes 10. I'd prefer gamble on a guy like him. Can't be worst than Lindgren and Kinkaid in my opinion.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I mean can't spend to much on a proven quality backup when your starter makes 10. I'd prefer gamble on a guy like him. Can't be worst than Lindgren and Kinkaid in my opinion.
Im thinking more from his side, dont know why he would go to an org that doesnt really need him vs one where he has lots of opportunity

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Bilyalov would get an ELC, but I agree that you need your back up to make very little when your starter makes 10M.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Im thinking more from his side, dont know why he would go to an org that doesnt really need him vs one where he has lots of opportunity

Why wouldn’t Montreal need a goalie? It’s not as if Primeau is a sure thing, he’s not NHL ready and they have an open spot to back up Price. While Price has a big contract, I don’t think he’s such a sure thing to occupy 50 starts for the next 10 years. Like with all teams, if he doesn’t produce, he won’t play at some point. And if that’s the next few seasons, Montreal might even try to move him.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Could get the back up spot to show he's ready for the NHL and then go to a team in more of a need ?

Montreal also has Lindgren who could be an ok back up for a team that isn't terrible and McNiven who's showing he deserves to be in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad