G Stuart Skinner (2017, 78th, EDM) ‎

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
6'4" 16 year-old goalie for the Lethbridge Hurricanes, isn't eligible until 2017 NHL Entry Draft. He was drafted 17th overall in 2013 WHL Bantam Draft (Hurricanes made a controversial trade to get him) but is now starting to show he can be a star. He is already getting comparisons to Tristan Jarry and even Carey Price.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/j...ecoming-whl-s-next-star-goalie-205407514.html

Not to jump the gun as it’s not even half way through the 2014-15 season, but Battah doesn’t seem to be out of line at all regarding Skinner’s future. He’s on pace to outperform the rookie seasons of Comrie, the Edmonton Oil Kings’ Tristan Jarry and even former American and current Montreal Canadiens star Carey Price. Moreover, he’s on pace to do so with a less-talented team in front of him than those goalies had.

He has put up good numbers as a 16 year-old rookie on an absolutely abysmal team:
Stuart Skinner
8-11-3 3.56 GAA .908 SV% 1 SO

Other Lethbridge Goalie
1-12-3 4.48 GAA .881 SV% 0 SO

Obviously its early, but what do you guys think his potentially is? He is definitely some one to keep an eye on going forward.

Last edited:

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I've watched him twice and he's been phenomenal both times.

He's very big with good reflexes. What he's doing at 16 on that terrible team is impressive.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
He's fantastic. Big guy that moves extremely well.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
How has he looking this season? He's looked very good in my limited viewings of him this season. What you guys say are his biggest assets (besides size) and weaknesses?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
He has sure shut down Brandon every time I've seen them play this year, though that has only been twice.

Turned aside 40 in a win a week or so ago. Looked very calm and collected, and was making the big saves.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Been mostly looking at 2016 draft eligible goalies but I'll definitely be taking some time tomorrow or Tuesday to take a better look at him and Ian Scott.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How has he looking this season? He's looked very good in my limited viewings of him this season. What you guys say are his biggest assets (besides size) and weaknesses?

I don't watch the 'Canes and won't until they are sold but he's 6th in the WHL in GAA and 8th in sv%

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
He hasn't played as much this year as Sittler and him have split the net. I really like this game. Really composed in the net, akin to Holtby or Price. Very good at challenging shooters and cutting down the net. He's a goalie who can handle a big workload and a lot of shots in the game. Next year, I think he'll be just as good as Carter Hart is this year, and will probably go higher due to size. Really promising goalie prospect.

He flew onto my radar last year. He was the only one of Lethbridge worth watching.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
Lethbridge's improved play this year should serve his development well. While lots of shots like he had last year is good practice, playing in games where there is pressure to close it out is important due to the razor thin margins in the NHL.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
How does he compare against fellow '98-born WHL goaltender Carter Hart?

I'd say Carter has better natural reflexes which makes up for his "smaller" size (compared to Skinner at least). Hart is a little more active and energetic in the crease, and from what I have seen that allows him to read and react the to play a little bit better.

Skinner on the other hand is a big, athletic guy. His rebounds are good, but I'd say a step behind Hart. He takes up so much of the net, it seems like it would be impossible to beat him clean. When he has to sprawl he can really make some good saves.

If I had to choose between the two right now it would be Hart by a hair. He is so raw and will be an even more effective goalie when he fills out a little bit more. Hart plays the game a little bit more on his toes, whereas Skinner is a bit more on his heels from what I've seen.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I'd say Carter has better natural reflexes which makes up for his "smaller" size (compared to Skinner at least). Hart is a little more active and energetic in the crease, and from what I have seen that allows him to read and react the to play a little bit better.

Skinner on the other hand is a big, athletic guy. His rebounds are good, but I'd say a step behind Hart. He takes up so much of the net, it seems like it would be impossible to beat him clean. When he has to sprawl he can really make some good saves.

If I had to choose between the two right now it would be Hart by a hair. He is so raw and will be an even more effective goalie when he fills out a little bit more. Hart plays the game a little bit more on his toes, whereas Skinner is a bit more on his heels from what I've seen.

Thank you for the insight!

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
That post was January 2015, when they were terrible.

Swing and a miss by you.

Nope. If they had gotten him out of Lethbridge as the poster suggested they should to "save him" he wouldn't be a part of a team that is First in the WHL

jackstar

Oct 17, 2011
I have watched him quite a few times this year and I have been pretty disappointed by him. It doesn't seem as though he has improved at all. To me he has looked worse than he was last year. However, I admittedly don't know much about goalie scouting. He doesn't seem to have very good leg strength. In saying that, he is still a very promising prospect. I just had very high hopes for him this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad