G Spencer Knight (2019, 13th, FLA)

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
If he’s not yet good enough to play a full workload, why would you force him into it? His draft position years earlier should be irrelevant.

Because if you draft a goalie that early AND pay another $10mil, your hope is that at least one of them is elite. You don’t play elite goalies any less than 65 games per year or you’re not getting your worth.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Because if you draft a goalie that early AND pay another $10mil, your hope is that at least one of them is elite. You don’t play elite goalies any less than 65 games per year or you’re not getting your worth.

Only two goalies played 65 games last season. No goalie in the top 10 of SV% last season played 60 games.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Only two goalies played 65 games last season. No goalie in the top 10 of SV% last season played 60 games.

It was a ball park figure. 8 goalies played 60+ games last year, and 12 played 60+ games in 2018. I’d say that’s about the standard for an elite goalie.

2018-2019 was a total anomaly as far as goalie stats went. Look at the previous years and you’ll see what I mean.

Edit: Of the 10 leaders in sv% in 2017-2018, 6 of 10 played 60+ games.

Last edited:

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Not sure but isn’t Bob under contract for 7 years? Gotta figure Knight is ready before that...

Absolutely he should be....but I'm still not seeing a problem? If he takes 3-4 years then has 3 years on an ELC, what's the big deal? The cats also structured Bob's deal so that his salary + signing bonuses are lower in years 6 and 7, plus there's a modified NTC instead of a NMC.

The alternative is to do what? Take a risk on a Lehner or Varlamov on a shorter term and potentially toss another year out the window while the core is locked up on team friendly deals? The team needs to win before Knight would be ready anyway, so that argument is pretty much moot. Bob is an elite goaltender and was sorely needed. Where Knight may or may not be 3-5 years from now is irrelevant for the time being.

shylock104

Mar 14, 2019
Absolutely he should be....but I'm still not seeing a problem? If he takes 3-4 years then has 3 years on an ELC, what's the big deal? The cats also structured Bob's deal so that his salary + signing bonuses are lower in years 6 and 7, plus there's a modified NTC instead of a NMC.

The alternative is to do what? Take a risk on a Lehner or Varlamov on a shorter term and potentially toss another year out the window while the core is locked up on team friendly deals? The team needs to win before Knight would be ready anyway, so that argument is pretty much moot. Bob is an elite goaltender and was sorely needed. Where Knight may or may not be 3-5 years from now is irrelevant for the time being.

The point is if Bob was on a 5 year term no one would bat an eye, but 7 years means that you have locked up a 10M dollar player for 4 YEARS after you lost the contracts of Barkov and Trocheck and Vatrano, then the next year Huberdeau.

Those are a lot of big contracts they need to take on, and a shorter term with Bob would mean they could use Knight to ease that cap space for his D+3/4 season when those guys need new contracts.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Knight at BC for 3 seasons (seems to avg. for elite goalies in college - Woll, Oettinger played 3). So 2020,2021, 2022 Knight is at BC. Signs ELC for 2023, 2024, 2025 seasons. Thats 6 seasons and then would want big payday the last year of Bobs contract which of course the Panthers couldnt pay Knight because they will have Bob at $10M that season....long way away but very cloudy situation for Panthers.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Knight at BC for 3 seasons (seems to avg. for elite goalies in college - Woll, Oettinger played 3). So 2020,2021, 2022 Knight is at BC. Signs ELC for 2023, 2024, 2025 seasons. Thats 6 seasons and then would want big payday the last year of Bobs contract which of course the Panthers couldnt pay Knight because they will have Bob at $10M that season....long way away but very cloudy situation for Panthers.

1. What's the cap going to be at by then?
2. Absolute worst case scenario - they buy out/trade Bob's last season, problem solved. Heck, maybe he'll retire by then.

This is a non-issue short, medium and long term. I'll gladly trade/buy-out the last year of Bob's contract if it means Knight is a star goalie and has earned a "big payday".

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Oh C'moon now.

Rask was a beast just this year when he played less, easily worth his money.

Reactions: Bevans

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
It was a ball park figure. 8 goalies played 60+ games last year, and 12 played 60+ games in 2018. I’d say that’s about the standard for an elite goalie.

2018-2019 was a total anomaly as far as goalie stats went. Look at the previous years and you’ll see what I mean.

Edit: Of the 10 leaders in sv% in 2017-2018, 6 of 10 played 60+ games.

Last year was not an anomaly. It was a continuation of a pattern going back to when goalies played over 75 in a season occaisonally.

Fewer and fewer teams are playing goalies on back to back ever. That caps starters at 65ish at best.

Back up goalies are getting better and better.

You can disagree if you like and look at small sample sizes to justify your theory. But there's going to be more back ups with 30 games than their will be starting goalies with 60+ starts going forward.

Winning cups is more important to teams than running a starting goalie Into the ground.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I think there is a pretty good chance he will be ready to play in spring of 2021. If all goes well + he gets to play big, high-quality games at BC. He might not even need the american league. I would be very careful with his development though, this is a premier asset

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
This kid is a monster. His positioning mixed with his size and athleticism is crazy.

Agreed. Yesterday was the first time I’ve watched him over a full game and wow. His demeanour, calmness, movement....everything is tight and calculated. Unbelievable to see at his age. Really high hopes as a Panthers fan...I just hope they develop him properly.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup and QJL

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
BC's a mess, but Knight unsurprisingly has been good for the most part. Goalies are such a crapshoot, but I think this situation is ideal for Knight. He was very good at the NTDP, but he also rarely had to win games for his team given how loaded the '01 group was. Even when he played poorly, his team would often still win. With BC that's not the case and for now (obviously teams can and do improve and it's still early) they're only going to go as far as he can carry them, which is a good change for Knight's development.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Somebody has got to be watching this kid on these boards. This kid is just putting up great numbers on a so so BC team. Anyone got some updates about him?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Yup, he’s scary. Really wonder when he’ll come into the league, as teams tend to let goalies simmer and there’s Bobrovsky - or, at least, his contract - in the way.

I still think goalies are voodoo, but Knight is the closest to a sure thing since Hart.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Yup, he’s scary. Really wonder when he’ll come into the league, as teams tend to let goalies simmer and there’s Bobrovsky - or, at least, his contract - in the way.

I still think goalies are voodoo, but Knight is the closest to a sure thing since Hart.
They definitely are voodoo but he's the best goalie I've ever seen as a prospect. We haven't had many star level guys like this in America that I can remember recently. I find it surprising that people keep saying Askarov is clearly better than Knight too, he's been awesome from what I've seen but Knight is a freak. Askarov could be top 5 tier (like I thought Knight could have been) if he's actually markedly better

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

I think he plays 2 years at BC, then Panthers start him in the ahl in year 3. And they'll be patient with him, so I'd say 2022 before he really plays any amount of meaningful games.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad