Confirmed with Link: (G)Sergei Bobrovsky 7yr @ 10 mil

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Nope low danger which means distance. Didn’t see fleury get burnt with the breakaways against when we got behind the Vegas d either. Sure Matheson got walked. Best dmen in the league get walked multiple times every year.
Best goalies in the league get burnt by breakaways multiple times every year too.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
the blue jackets 3rd string goalie has 5 shutouts in an 8 game span. Meanwhile, I was just happy bob finally got into the 900s for his save percentage lmao

Reactions: klabob

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
the blue jackets 3rd string goalie has 5 shutouts in an 8 game span. Meanwhile, I was just happy bob finally got into the 900s for his save percentage lmao

He's their backup, not 3rd string. Well, now he's their starter, and Korpi is the backup. He was a highly thought of goalie prospect, I'm not surprised he's having success.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
He's their backup, not 3rd string. Well, now he's their starter, and Korpi is the backup. He was a highly thought of goalie prospect, I'm not surprised he's having success.
I know I meant more from last season with bob and korpisalo and then I suppose he would’ve been 3rd? Since losing bob that made korp jump in fulltime and now this kid is playing incredible. I miss driedger

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I’d be curious to know Bob’s save % ranking on breakaways. I feel like he does pretty well with them.

On the other hand, screened shots from the point he’s not as strong at stopping.

Reactions: klabob

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Yup. That’s not the problem. Problem is bob gets beat by shots that have no business going in more than any other goalie in the league outside of jersey
It is a problem, but giving up goals that have no business going in was also a problem for Lu, for Reimer and for Monty, Driegs has looked decent, but that's a big trend whenever goalies play behind this Panthers defense. Then we look at Bob's former team the Blue Jackets and see their goalies succeeding pretty significantly, that can't be a coincidence. Only this organization can make a 2-time Vezina goalie in his prime spit out below average stats, but it's also the way the league has changed recently with most of the goalies.

panthersdu67

Oct 5, 2019
Might sound like a dumb question but in case Bob never gets better, could he be sent to springfield (or put on waivers, but would anyone claim him ?) ? Does he have a two way contract that would relieve the Panther's cap of his boat anchor of a salary if he were to play in the minors ? Would his contract be void if he decided to go play in the KHL instead ? Is a buy out really the only option ?

If Spencer Knight is as good as he's supposed to be, plus Judge D stays consistent, I don't see how this duo couldn't be at least as effective as Bob + whoever is healthy right now.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Might sound like a dumb question but in case Bob never gets better, could he be sent to springfield (or put on waivers, but would anyone claim him ?) ? Does he have a two way contract that would relieve the Panther's cap of his boat anchor of a salary if he were to play in the minors ? Would his contract be void if he decided to go play in the KHL instead ? Is a buy out really the only option ?

If Spencer Knight is as good as he's supposed to be, plus Judge D stays consistent, I don't see how this duo couldn't be at least as effective as Bob + whoever is healthy right now.
He has a No-Movement Clause, so he can't be traded, waived, or assigned to the AHL without his consent. Let's say he agreed to go to the AHL, the team would save about 1.1M per year off his 10M.
If he goes to the KHL, I guess it would be similar to the Kovalchuck situation.

Reactions: panthersdu67

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't so sure about drafting Spencer Knight after signing Bobrovsky to a seven year deal. Now, I'm so glad we did...

panthersdu67

Oct 5, 2019
He has a No-Movement Clause, so he can't be traded, waived, or assigned to the AHL without his consent. Let's say he agreed to go to the AHL, the team would save about 1.1M per year off his 10M.
If he goes to the KHL, I guess it would be similar to the Kovalchuck situation.

Does a NMC also apply during the Seattle expansion draft ? Don't see any reason why they would be interested, but just curious.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I'm not gonna lie, I wasn't so sure about drafting Spencer Knight after signing Bobrovsky to a seven year deal. Now, I'm so glad we did...
He’s still probably far out and we want him to properly develop and not rush him. We’re still stuck with this horrific contract regardless and with possible horrific goaltending as well. Might be a silver lining but not any time soon which sucks because we as a fan base want results now we’re seriously tired of waiting and hanging to hope of this “elite” crop of prospects that perpetually never pans out to take us to the promised land

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Does a NMC also apply during the Seattle expansion draft ? Don't see any reason why they would be interested, but just curious.

Bob would have to waive to be exposed, he's here for at least 5 years imo. Last two years of his deal he can be moved.
Depending on the rest of the year and next, I'd assume we promote one of Driedger or Montembeault full time
Good thing we have Bednard and/or Derosiers with Knight at least 2-3 years away.

Only way to "move" Bob is buying him out in 3-4 years when Knight is ready.
This is his buyout if in June 2023:

buyout-bob.PNG

If Knight is ready in 3 years, his ELC max is 950k? I'd argue it'll be 4 years but this kid is chill and very calm by the looks of it so I wouldn't be shocked if he can get NHL minutes at 21.
One of Driedger, Bednard, Derosiers at $1.5 to 2 million x 3-4 years could have a Jarry like rise until Knight is ready to take #1 spot?
Add Bob's $6.6 and you're back around $10 million on goal-tending.

Cap should be up another $5-6 million in 3 years, only thing is Barkov needs his new mega deal in 3 years.
I wouldn't give up on Bob yet, no reason to, he's here for 4-5 years minimum.
Still think we will see stretches where we realize why we gave him the albatross deal.
And either Bob will have to adapt or the GM will have to adapt and bring in players that can help him succeed or meet somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: panthersdu67

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Extremely bad contracts: Bobrovsky, Stralman

Bad contracts: Matheson, Yandle,

Average Contracts: Ekblad

Good: Barkov, Huberdeau, Vatrano, Accari, Connolly, Dadonov

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Bob would have to waive to be exposed, he's here for at least 5 years imo. Last two years of his deal he can be moved.
Depending on the rest of the year and next, I'd assume we promote one of Driedger or Montembeault full time
Good thing we have Bednard and/or Derosiers with Knight at least 2-3 years away.

Only way to "move" Bob is buying him out in 3-4 years when Knight is ready.
This is his buyout if in June 2023:

View attachment 322913

If Knight is ready in 3 years, his ELC max is 950k? I'd argue it'll be 4 years but this kid is chill and very calm by the looks of it so I wouldn't be shocked if he can get NHL minutes at 21.
One of Driedger, Bednard, Derosiers at $1.5 to 2 million x 3-4 years could have a Jarry like rise until Knight is ready to take #1 spot?
Add Bob's $6.6 and you're back around $10 million on goal-tending.

Cap should be up another $5-6 million in 3 years, only thing is Barkov needs his new mega deal in 3 years.
I wouldn't give up on Bob yet, no reason to, he's here for 4-5 years minimum.
Still think we will see stretches where we realize why we gave him the albatross deal.
And either Bob will have to adapt or the GM will have to adapt and bring in players that can help him succeed or meet somewhere in the middle.

Flyers told my cousin likely 4 years, possibly 3 years. He was the same draft class as Knight.

I would think in Knight's situation, 3 years is hopeful to backup Bob

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

Matheson has been playing forward. I think it’s safe to say he has an extremely bad contract.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Switch around Stralman and Matheson.
Stralman is signed for only two more years after this. Expensive but movable with a little retention.

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Goalies have off years all the time and you see team going to the playoffs regularly who aren't even close to the cap, if you replaced Bobrovsky with someone making 5 mil, you know what? They'll make 5 mil anyway against the cap, it's not like Bobrobsky is "10 mil in dead cap" or a cap dump, think of it more like 5 mil tied up, there's ways of getting rid of contracts like these, who knows maybe there'll be amnesty buyouts, maybe Seattle would like him retained with a 1st pick etc.
Case in point trying to say, it's not handcuffing your team to the point of doom. Savvy moves will make this team more competitive, (they already are).
I can't even imagine the frustration of being a Florida fan. They always seem to just fall short tragically, and the fans they do have, can be die-hard. I feel for you guys. Corona virus won't spell the end of western civilization, & Bob's contract won't sparkplug the moving of your team lol. Stay loyal to your team, it's not going anywhere, and when they're good it'll make it that much greater.

Like I said and to clarify, if someone was replacing Bob they'd be 5-6 mil anyway, so it's not 10 mil of dead cap. Closer to 4. Teams have done more with less to work with. No one who won the cup last year made more than 7.5.

& Folks, goalies are bouncing back all the time, just because he's not in his twenties doesn't mean he's 'done'.
He could easily be near .915-.920 with the right defensive structure as soon as next year (barring an apocalypse).

Stay loyal, stay strong, & stay the **** away from Corona virus.
Signed, A genuine hockey fan.

*Last concluding thought: If Milan ****ing Lucic could be traded to shred cap, pretty sure Florida can figure things out with Bob if that be the option.

Last edited:

GigaChad

Oct 9, 2013
How would you rate Bobs play last season?
What are the reasons he had so poor GAA and SV%?
Was it mostly because of the D or did he actually play that poorly throughout the year?

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
How would you rate Bobs play last season?
What are the reasons he had so poor GAA and SV%?
Was it mostly because of the D or did he actually play that poorly throughout the year?
Last season Bob was playing like a below average backup that get sent down to the AHL.

The team was more afraid of losing face than missing the playoffs, otherwise there is no hockey reason why Bob would play 50 games and Driedger only 12. The D was below average, but one goalie managed a .938% so regardless of the defense, Bob was terrible.

If his play doesn't improve, I'm all for buying him out at the end of next season. Zito can blame Tallon for it, so his hands shouldn't be tied to Bob.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Last season Bob was playing like a below average backup that get sent down to the AHL.

The team was more afraid of losing face than missing the playoffs, otherwise there is no hockey reason why Bob would play 50 games and Driedger only 12. The D was below average, but one goalie managed a .938% so regardless of the defense, Bob was terrible.

If his play doesn't improve, I'm all for buying him out at the end of next season. Zito can blame Tallon for it, so his hands shouldn't be tied to Bob.

10 years of buyout time ain't happening though as much as some would want it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad