G Samuel Montembeault (2015, 77th, FLA)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
guy has been great since getting drafted. carried a mediocre team to the 2nd round last year and doing it again this year

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
After a tough year last season (his first pro season as a 20-21 year old goalie), Montembeault is finding his game now! He has a 5-0-0 record, 2.00 gaa and .942 save percentage for Springfield Thunderbirds in the AHL.

I was high on him when he got drafted by the Panthers, and thought he really well could be the next #1 goalie for the Panthers. He's showing some great things right now and hope he'll be able to keep his pace!

Reactions: Stive Morgan

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
After a tough year last season (his first pro season as a 20-21 year old goalie), Montembeault is finding his game now! He has a 5-0-0 record, 2.00 gaa and .942 save percentage for Springfield Thunderbirds in the AHL.

I was high on him when he got drafted by the Panthers, and thought he really well could be the next #1 goalie for the Panthers. He's showing some great things right now and hope he'll be able to keep his pace!

Panthers goaltending situation beyond this season is in flux right now, there's no doubt. Would be a huge boost if this guy can become a reliable NHL-calibre goalie. Honestly don't remember the last time the Panthers drafted a goalie and developed them into anything noteworthy. Markstrom comes to mind, but obviously was traded.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Panthers goaltending situation beyond this season is in flux right now, there's no doubt. Would be a huge boost if this guy can become a reliable NHL-calibre goalie. Honestly don't remember the last time the Panthers drafted a goalie and developed them into anything noteworthy. Markstrom comes to mind, but obviously was traded.

Kevin Weekes was the best, but he was traded too.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Not a lot of talk about what Montembeault is doing right now. 4-0-1 as a 22 years old goalie with a non-playoffs team, that's pretty solid. 2.39 and .906.

Boughner recently told the media he was the future of the organization between the pipes and also one of their best prospect.

Seems like they're trying him hard right now to see what to do going forward this summer. Luongo and Reimer are still under contract next season but Montembeault might make them take some tough decisions!

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Not a lot of talk about what Montembeault is doing right now. 4-0-1 as a 22 years old goalie with a non-playoffs team, that's pretty solid. 2.39 and .906.

Boughner recently told the media he was the future of the organization between the pipes and also one of their best prospect.

Seems like they're trying him hard right now to see what to do going forward this summer. Luongo and Reimer are still under contract next season but Montembeault might make them take some tough decisions!
I don't think there's much of a decision to make. Reimer is already finished either way as a Panther. I bet he'll never play again for them. His performances have been totally shameful and head coach Boughner has called him out many times during the season and for a good reason. Because everybody can see he's not good enough and everybody agrees with him. Now they have put Reimer out of the lineup for his own good.

Getting rid of Luongo demands more creativity. I'm not absolutely sure they will do it however. But in the best interest of the team they probably should. Age has finally caught up with him. You don't even know if you can trust him as #2 next season. He has lost all confidence in his glove hand which was critical for him in the past seasons. I think he might be possible he will retire after this season. He makes only 1,6 million next season and has 5,3 million cap hit if he stays. Should just retire while everybody has good memories of him. The franchise has let him down by dressing poor teams in front of him in previous seasons. If Monteambeault doesn't lead Panthers to a miracle run now then give Luongo a couple of games at the end of season and say goodbye to him. Montembeault will be tested now so they will know if he can be trusted next season as a #2. In the summer I believe they go all in for Bobrovsky and most likely will start with him and Montembeault.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA

Thru the wins, he was the best non Barkov on the ice. In the games where his stats weren't impressive, he was the best non Barkov on the ice. The games he was pulled, it not only wasn't his fault in the slightest, but it completely distorted his overall stats too.

He has done everything those who have followed him thru the last few years had said he would do.... and then 10 million dollars on Bobrovsky (instead of literally ANY stud defenseman, WTF) and drafting Spencer Knight.

What's worse is I seem like the only FL fan who thinks this all to be absurd!

It's sad, I love Bobrovsky as everyone should, and as I have become personally invested in Sam materializing, I have never been so disappointed to have such a wonderfully awesome player. Goalie*.

Where next with him? Seattle? Chicago? Montreal?

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Thru the wins, he was the best non Barkov on the ice. In the games where his stats weren't impressive, he was the best non Barkov on the ice. The games he was pulled, it not only wasn't his fault in the slightest, but it completely distorted his overall stats too.

He has done everything those who have followed him thru the last few years had said he would do.... and then 10 million dollars on Bobrovsky (instead of literally ANY stud defenseman, WTF) and drafting Spencer Knight.

It's sad, I love Bobrovsky as everyone should, and as I have become personally invested in Sam materializing, I have never been so disappointed to have such a wonderfully awesome player. Goalie*.

Yeah, I thought that the Panthers were higher on Montembeault then it seems now. Signing Bobrovsky OR drafting Knight would have been okay, but both seems kind of bad for Sam.

However, Knight is still a couple years away from the NHL and Montembeault will probably be the backup goaltender this season. He'll be able to prove he's an NHL-caliber goalie and deserves a real shot. If it's not in Florida, it's gonna be somewhere else. Montembeault has the talent but is also a really nice guy who's working hard and is really focused on his NHL career.

Let's hope everything will work fine for him, wherever it is!

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Flat wrong. He wasn’t good in some starts flat out. His inconsistency has been there his whole career so far. Your in serious denial

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
To add to that, it was what 11 games he played? NHL shooters have video tapes to watch and figure this guy out and if he can't adjust well enough, he may not be able to handle a 60 game starter workload and be reliable, realistically speaking.

That's the problem with prospects, people bank on the what-if much more than they probably should. Would the Bruins rather have Zach Senyshyn in the lineup on the chance he might become a 25 goal scorer over Sean Kuraly? No, because Kuraly is a very effective bottom 6 guy that's proven himself, and Senyshyn may not be able to affect the play like Kuraly does all over the ice.

I hope Montembeault pans out but guy who's proven himself is always a better bet until the prospect truly challenges him and proves he belongs.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
To add to that, it was what 11 games he played? NHL shooters have video tapes to watch and figure this guy out and if he can't adjust well enough, he may not be able to handle a 60 game starter workload and be reliable, realistically speaking.

I hope Montembeault pans out but guy who's proven himself is always a better bet until the prospect truly challenges him and proves he belongs.

Give him some respect? He had no business playing any games in the NHL last season as a 22 year old goalie but injuries happen.

It could have been ugly with that defense in Florida but he more or less kept composure.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I've said this too many times with these goalies and Florida but no way could Florida bet on unproven goalie right now.
They need stability and build a consistent playoff team, right now. Not in 3-5 years time.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Give him some respect? He had no business playing any games in the NHL last season as a 22 year old goalie but injuries happen.

It could have been ugly with that defense in Florida but he more or less kept composure.

Was I by any way discounting his abilities? No. He is a very talented goaltender and I've thought he's been underrated for some time now.

My point is, that Florida absolutely cannot bank on the hope of a prospect goaltender taking over right now. An elite goaltender is what they need, especially someone as driven as Bobrovsky (and only 31 in Sept). Hoffman and Dadonov are UFAs next year and the young stars are in/entering their prime. You can't push the hope of certain players forward. Not with this roster.

Reactions: lakai17

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I've said this too many times with these goalies and Florida but no way could Florida bet on unproven goalie right now.
They need stability and build a consistent playoff team, right now. Not in 3-5 years time.
I respect that, and usually agree except in rare cases like he and Hart who both looked clear for lift off despite not much competence in front of them.
He wasn’t good in some starts flat out. His inconsistency has been there his whole career so far.
Which games was he not good?

Last edited:

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I respect that, and usually agree except in rare cases like he and Hart who both looked clear for lift off despite not much competence in front of them.
Which games was he not good?
I don’t remember specific games but he was not good every single game. That’s a joke to suggest so. He had brilliant stretches of great play where he was the best player yes. He also had average play and bad play mixed in.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
I think Florida trades him as part of a package for a star player to help with their playoff push.

As much as that makes sense for Florida to do, the most a goalie was traded for in recent history was Robin Lehner + David Legwand for 21st overall and Lehner was one of the best young goalies,

Montembeault probably does not have a ton of value.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Bob is going to play a ton of games as long as he is healthy. Him and Montembeault are going to need time to adjust the Q's new system but the Panthers should hold on to this kid as long as they can. He can be a cheap reliable backup for a few seasons till he is locked by Seattle or moved in a trade. He still has to prove himself but him taking an NHL backup role is the next step. Sucks Bob will take most of the starts but this kid wont be overwhelmed in goal and that might be better in the long run for his career.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don’t remember specific games but he was not good every single game. That’s a joke to suggest so. He had brilliant stretches of great play where he was the best player yes. He also had average play and bad play mixed in.
Well, let's break it down and compare to the goalie on the other side:

Sam Montembeault Game Logs

DateTeamGSWLTOTSAGASv%SOTOI
Apr 4vs NYI1------1361.972064:27
Mar 26@ MTL--------0183.833045:32
Mar 25@ TOR1------042.500004:21
Mar 23vs BOS10100386.842057:44
Mar 19@ DAL10100363.917058:50
Mar 17@ ANA10100223.864059:19
Mar 16@ LAK11000273.889060:00
Mar 14@ SJS11000282.929060:00
Mar 10vs DET11000201.950059:27
Mar 8vs MIN11000272.926060:00
Mar 2vs CAR1------1264.846061:44
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

*The replay videos below miss a lot of key saves from both goalies in all games*

Mar 2. First career start vs CAR:
-First goal, Yandle gives it away just a few feet from the net and it was in before anyone knew Yandle even lost it. Welcome to the NHL lol
-Second goal, McCoshen caught standing to the side of the net watching the slot he left open for business and it goes in on every goalie ever.
-Third goal, another manned player in the slot, Vince and Yandle doing bad things. Pesce with a nice little self hand pass goal.
-OT goal, 2 on 1 with none other than- you guessed it- Yandle back...another no chance for any goalie ever type goal.
He played great. Both goalies did but Mrazek was the one who let in a couple soft goals despite having a few more highlight saves than Sam. No soft goals to count against Sam. So while he did in fact look great with the saves he did make that our other goalies may not have, his numbers were a little less than good and therefore not a good basis for judgement. Note: Matheson was pretty good at this point while Yandle is the culprit. Sam was great.

Mar 8. MINHe was awesome, first NHL win.
-First goal, deflection off Josh Brown, not really Brown's fault either. Unfortunate.
-Second goal man left alone at the net, Brown caught watching and drifting off and goal scorer at the door step wide open.
This time, both Yandle and Matheson also happen to have great games and we win and we're 1-1 in games where the stats line up.
Sam was great.

Mar 10. Detroit,
-Only goal he lets in was a classic cross ice pass one timer on the PP and he was great as were his numbers for the second game in a row making that count 2-1. Also making that 3 games without any soft goals, beating the previous Panthers goalies' streaks of 1 game here and there. Also Yandle and Matheson both look great in consecutive games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad