G Roman Basran - Kelowna Rockets, WHL (2019 undrafted)

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I was wondering if anyone who follows the WHL has any insights into Basran.

I am tinkering with a formula that identifies undervalued goalies. In 2018 Samuel Ersson topped the list (maybe beginner's luck). This season Basran was identified. He went undrafted. Thought it made sense to ask those who have seen him multiple times what they think. Also, I noticed on Elite Prospects that he isn't currently listed as returning to Kelowna.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I like Basran. He's a good young goalie with amazing quickness and athleticism. Wolf got a lot of praise for his quickness, but this kid is pretty much just as quick, and he has the size. He has a few things that need to be worked on, but they're very workable.

In fact in February he was the best WHL goalie in my mind, but as I said that wasn't a huge accomplishment as I was not big on the WHL's goalie class: G Mads Søgaard - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2019, 37th, OTT)

^ I'd later drop him just behind Sogaard after the playoffs and something at the combine with Sogaard (but neither were high, and certainly not 3rd goalie off the board high). For those curious my list was Sogaard, Basran, Miner as the only WHL goalies worth drafting.

He was also one of my most obvious omissions from the draft: 2019 undrafted

Right now I expect him to be the #1 on Kelowna and for that to only change midseason if poor play initiates a trade. Being as Kelowna is a Mem cup host city this year, a lot of eyes are going to be on this kid. Just based on my viewings last year, if I had the contract space, I'd sign this kid this summer, just on a buy low principle in that his stock has huge potential to rise this upcoming season because of the Memorial cup.

Reactions: emptyNedder

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Appreciate the response. Good to hear some first-hand analysis.

As I stated in the original post, Basran looked like a solid 4th-round pick according to my model/formula. So I was really surprised that no team used at least a 6th or 7th on him.

Just based on my viewings last year, if I had the contract space, I'd sign this kid this summer, just on a buy low principle in that his stock has huge potential to rise this upcoming season because of the Memorial cup.
Do you know if he was invited to any camps?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I've been watching a lot of archived games on neulion this weekend, and I just saw a stretch of games in mid January, where he was absolutely lights out for the Rockets. He's someone that I think could very much benefit from a more premiere goalie coach. Covid-19 absolutely screwed this kid, because I really feel like on the main stage of the mem cup, he'd have earned a contract or even a draft selection. Having seen 14 of his games this year (and more the previous years), I truly believe he's got the potential to be a competent pro level goalie; his reflexes and quickness are 2nd-3rd round level, though he needs a lot of work. And nows the time to put in that work, before bad habits really take root. He'd be a nice 6th or 7th round add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad