G Roddy Ross - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2019, 169th, PHI)

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Roddy Ross at eliteprospects.com

I’ve been following the Thunderbirds ever since the Matthew Barzal era, but I just noticed this new goaltender pop up, and I must say he has a pretty awesome name. Probably won’t get drafted maybe, but super cool name haha

:thumbu:

*edit HE DID GET DRAFTED :banana::dumbo::dd:

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This kid is one of the best WHL goaltenders I've seen in a long time. I've watched him live quite a few times now. One of the most composed and technically talented goaltenders I've seen at this level. Single-handedly rejuvenated the Thunderbirds and has been electric since being called up to the team. I had the pleasure of watching him stone the Silvertips the other night with a 45 save gem. This kid is something special and has NHL size. Goaltenders are so hard to project, especially in the WHL. But he's the best I've seen in a long time.

Could see him being a late round flyer this year if scouts are really paying attention. But his arrival and carrying of the team is one of the more impressive things in my near 20 years of following the Thunderbirds. Not sure of his future but I haven't been this impressed with a WHL goaltender in my memory.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This kid is one of the best WHL goaltenders I've seen in a long time. I've watched him live quite a few times now. One of the most composed and technically talented goaltenders I've seen at this level. Single-handedly rejuvenated the Thunderbirds and has been electric since being called up to the team. I had the pleasure of watching him stone the Silvertips the other night with a 45 save gem. This kid is something special and has NHL size. Goaltenders are so hard to project, especially in the WHL. But he's the best I've seen in a long time.

Could see him being a late round flyer this year if scouts are really paying attention. But his arrival and carrying of the team is one of the more impressive things in my near 20 years of following the Thunderbirds, Not sure of his future but I haven't been this impressed with a WHL goaltender in my memory.

Ya his play will get the Tbirds into the playoffs... Id be a little nervous being Everett and having to face Seattle in the 1st round

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He’s already been passed over once, this isn’t his first time through. He was in the AJHL during his draft year and he was alright. Don’t see him getting drafted. Been good this year though.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
He’s already been passed over once, this isn’t his first time through. He was in the AJHL during his draft year and he was alright. Don’t see him getting drafted. Been good this year though.
You say that in a year where a double overager is expected to go in the first round. Ross' play against higher competition will certainly give him more of an opportunity to be scouted than in the AJHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get taken with a late pick.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
You say that in a year where a double overager is expected to go in the first round. Ross' play against higher competition will certainly give him more of an opportunity to be scouted than in the AJHL. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get taken with a late pick.
Brett Leason, a player carrying his WHL team, someone who was one of the best players at the WJC, is different than a decent overager goalie. I’m not counting out him being drafted, but it would surprise me.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Brett Leason, a player carrying his WHL team, someone who was one of the best players at the WJC, is different than a decent overager goalie. I’m not counting out him being drafted, but it would surprise me.
But it shows development isn't linear, something that is especially true for goalies.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Goalies are so unbelievably hard to project at this level, especially in the WHL. I'm not saying Ross is a future lights out NHL goaltender. But he is the best WHL goalie I've seen in recent memory who came out of nowhere to be carrying an underperforming Thunderbirds team.

The biggest thing that impresses me is the size as well as the composure.

There's something very special with this kid. Could wind up as an AHLer, could wind up in Europe, could wind up in the lower levels before disappearing into a Canadian College. But this kid is playing exceptional hockey right now and looks like a gamer. It's been night and day since he came out of nowhere for this team.

I believe he was WHL Rookie of the month last month too. And he just gets better each game.

I admit I could be biased because the Thunderbirds went through a string of goalies who looked like the size of footballs I could punt through a goal post. Also I just watched Ross' probably best career game in the WHL while sitting 30 feet away from his crease. But I've watched a lot of WHL netminders and he just seems to have that special factor that great players have.

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
PLAYER FACTS
  • Position
    G
  • Height
    6'4" / 193 cm
  • Weight
    174 lbs / 79 kg
  • Catches
    L

STEAMLEAGUEGPGAASVS%POSTGPGAASVS%
2015-16
3.png
Lloydminster Rage Minor Midget
AMMHL192.28.922|Playoffs41.53.938
3.png
Lloydminster Bobcats Midget AAA
AMHL0--|
2016-17
3.png
Onion Lake Border Chiefs
NEAJBHL193.97.904|Playoffs45.24.888
2017-18
3.png
Tisdale Trojans
SMHL221.85.940|Playoffs26.55.780
2018-19
3.png
Camrose Kodiaks
AJHL222.94.920|
6.png
Seattle Thunderbirds
WHL162.80.914|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
Goalies are a trip, it's crazy this kid has only averaged 20 games a year in his Junior career spanning years of growth spurts and teenagerdom. I don't even know how you would begin scouting or developing them at this level.

Watching Ross' progression this season has expanded my mind on this whole subject.

@Tryamkin How do you even begin to rank or project goalies? Especially when there's only 32 golden tickets in the world.

Balls Mahoney

Aug 14, 2008
Legend
This kid was really special for the Thunderbirds and it was a pleasure to watch him. Ross has that rare ability to be able to carry a WHL team which seems to be the X Factor for translating to professional success. The Thunderbirds went from an underachieving disconnected group to a cohesive playoff team with Ross in the net. Ross also seems to have a strong mental game. I never saw him lose his focus no matter what was going on around him. Really think he could be a good professional at some level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad