G Richard Ullberg - SaiPa, FEL (2011 undrafted)

sirMcDuck

Feb 19, 2006
I don't know if there is a topic for Ullberg but I just have to hype this guy more!

18 (93) year old kid who plays for SaiPa (smallest team in league) in FEL and has .911% and GAA 2.07. He has taken the first goalie title after WJC from Myllykoski. I have to say that this kid is hottest goalie-prospect available in draft. Too shame that he isn't canadian or swedish so he could get the attention that he deserves.

Best under 20 goalieprospect in Finland for sure.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
He's not getting a lot of hype because he was passed over in last year's draft.

That's true of course, he's improved A LOT though. He's passed many young goalies that were still regarded more highly last year.

Marre

Mar 10, 2004
I just watched some clips from this season and was surprised how much he improved even during the season. I saw him play many times during the season and it will be interesting to see, how he continues to develop. For SaiPa's sake hopefully for the better. His goalie coach will also change for next year but for the one who already worked with him last spring and summer.

If I remember correctly he was thought rather highly, when younger. He was considered the most talented Finnish goalie of his year and maybe year before and after. His performance in 'how to ruin your career and throw your life upside down in five easy steps' during his draft year of course changed things and made him much less desirable draft choice. But during this season he has climb out from the hole he dug for himself and regained lot of his earlier position, so good for him. And lucky for SaiPa to catch him when he was kicked out from HIFK. It may be that it turns to be lucky thing for him also. It would be very difficult to get any playing time in HIFK and now he really had to think hard if he even wanted to have a hockey career and what he was ready to do to reach that dream.

He certainly still has a lot of work to do. His stickhandling is horrible, rebound control is inconsistent (in his good day it's okay, but when he doesn't have his best day, it seems to be the first part of his game to fall a part) and while he usually handles breakaways and penalty shots during the game well, the shootouts are usually not that good. His hands are not as good as legs and of course he makes rookie mistakes at times. And then there is a risk factor from his earlier issues.

Then again his legs are quick and his style of play is very nice and calm and he seems to have a lot of confidence. There were times when he made some clear mistake early in the game and basically gave a first goal to the opposite team and then continued to play solidly and without mistakes rest of the game and didn't let that mistake to get to him at all. That is something that is nice to see in someone so young. I'm most impressed that he seemed to always rise to the challenge. And he was given some really big challenges. First FEL game against HIFK (did well), an away game at the same day 'the incident' was on the front page of the biggest tabloid's sport section (did okay), starter on the important game two days after total beating from Pelicans (that ended the hype he had started to rise) and he played a solid game. He also kind of managed to stole starter role twice from Myllyniemi. First time he lost it again because of his trip to eat popcorn in Canada, second time he had a weak start to the game and Myllyniemi was exceptional rest of the game and they managed to win. And Myllyniemi wasn't in fact bad at all this season so quite impressive from Ullberg. Ullberg's winning percentage is also surprisingly high considering the team. And SaiPa's system is not the one to help their goalies' save percentages and it's still not exactly bad.

So I have to say that he did amazingly well after last year's crash and burn. And hopefully continues to improve and can keep his issues in check. But of course any 18-year-old goalie is always a total enigma.

Last edited:

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
He's not getting a lot of hype because he was passed over in last year's draft.

I suspect that one of the reasons he was passed over in the draft was him being kicked out of HIFK after being caught stealing cash from teammates! Not many teams are gonna draft a player who is doing theese kind of stuff. The boy is talented and should become a good goalie if he gets his personal life in shape...

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Any idea why he was fired from Orli Znojomo? He got good stats 92.6% and 2.27 GAA in three EBEL games (eliteprospects) so it must be something outside of the ice?

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
Just read that he had so huge gambling problem, that he thought suiside. And it explains why he stole cash from teammates.

Last edited:

Jul 1, 2012
He was really good in SaiPa for one season. He looked like he could play in the NHL one day. I wonder if he has a future in professional hockey anymore

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
He just got fired (Hermes, Mestis) because of his positive comments about cannabis.

Last edited:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
What did he actually say?

I don't think this warrants getting fired. It's funny how paranoid the media (and thus majority of the people) still is about weed. Getting faced and punching someone in a bar line gets you a slap on the wrist, saying something about weed gets you fired.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm from Kokkola where he was going to play and I've seen him a couple of times in the bar. He's just a weird dude. He has the talent it's just his head is so far off that it affects him negatively. Just look at his Twitter too. He's just so out there.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I'm from Kokkola where he was going to play and I've seen him a couple of times in the bar. He's just a weird dude. He has the talent it's just his head is so far off that it affects him negatively. Just look at his Twitter too. He's just so out there.

I got a look. I don't think so. The guy looks smart, level-headed guy with good vibes going. But I don't know about Karleby's standards. They might be pretty skewed and off. Just saying. Are there lots of religious and narrow-minded sinners up there?

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The guy looks smart, level-headed guy with good vibes going.

Stay off the healing herb for a while.

For an individual with a troubled past it may not be the greatest career move in any field of life to begin in a new work place by publicly and heavily indicating that you are addicted to a drug and it really shows off in your body of work.

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
Stay off the healing herb for a while.

For an individual with a troubled past it may not be the greatest career move in any field of life to begin in a new work place by publicly and heavily indicating that you are addicted to a drug and it really shows off in your body of work.

Is that what he said?

If he just made a statement of wether weed should be legal or not, that alone shouldn't be grounds for firing someone.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Is that what he said?

If he just made a statement of wether weed should be legal or not, that alone shouldn't be grounds for firing someone.
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2015090120281259_jk.shtml

You can read there what he basically wrote.

As a "retired smoker" I can understand what he is saying by saying "weed doesnt kill people but alcohol does" etc. I just feel like he doesn't understand he's a person that some younger people will look up to and him saying what he said, doesn't really put him in a good situtation, especially when he should be a professional when it comes to public statements (granted he only plays in the 2nd highest Finnish league currently) but he pretty much explained himself like a 15 years old would, rather than the way he has been (assumely?) taught in the "how to act with media" lessons. Not to mention, ice hockey or any professional sport hardly goes together well with weed and if considered what it can cause to person if used heavily and regularly.

Then again, we are living the year 2015 and as we are all the time moving towards invidualism more and more, it's ridiculous you can get yourself kicked from the team by those kind of statements on the Internet. Assuming he was of course still clean, considering his past and how he talked about weed, might not be the case here although I don't wanna be that guy who makes rumors out of nothing.

Last edited:

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
http://www.iltalehti.fi/jaakiekko/2015090120281259_jk.shtml

You can read there what he basically wrote.

As a "retired smoker" I can understand what he is saying by saying "weed doesnt kill people but alcohol does" etc. I just feel like he doesn't understand he's a person that some younger people will look up to and him saying what he said, doesn't really put him in a good situtation, especially when he should be a professional when it comes to public statements (granted he only plays in the 2nd highest Finnish league currently) but he pretty much explained himself like a 15 years old would, rather than the way he has been (assumely?) taught in the "how to act with media" lessons. Not to mention, ice hockey or any professional sport hardly goes together well with weed and if considered what it can cause to person if used heavily and regularly.

Then again, we are living the year 2015 and as we are all the time moving towards invidualism more and more, it's ridiculous you can get yourself kicked from the team by those kind of statements on the Internet. Assuming he was of course still clean, considering his past and how he talked about weed, might not be the case here although I don't wanna be that guy who makes rumors out of nothing.

Yeah, it seems most of Finland is still too much caught up with the idea that all "drugs" can be classified into one category, and that is drugs and drugs get you hooked and kill you. At the same time the guy that gives the order to fire someone for talking positively about weed in public, will have no qualms about downing 16 beers during a mökki evening.

Ofcourse just saying that "but alcohol is worse" isn't a very good argument on it's own but there's a certain irony about it.

I disagree though that he explained himself like a 15 year old, he seemed very honest about it and said it has helped him. Still, of course like you you said, not the best career move because people are still very sensitive about this.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I got a look. I don't think so. The guy looks smart, level-headed guy with good vibes going. But I don't know about Karleby's standards. They might be pretty skewed and off. Just saying. Are there lots of religious and narrow-minded sinners up there?

This post is beyond moronic :laugh: He's just a weird guy he does and says stupid things. There's a reason he can't stick anywhere and it's because of his attitude and his inability to be normal and not screw up. He comes off as mental quite honestly. Karleby doesn't have these mystical standards you're talking about. Religious and narrow minded? We're not some hick town haha.:help: I honestly can't even respond to this post seriously because you actually talk a lot like Ullberg :laugh: If you think Ullberg is smart and level headed you might need to reevaluate your thinking. I haven't met one person even in Helsinki that thinks he's right on the head. I was a fan of him coming to the Hermes because he has the talent but that doesn't mean I don't think he's a screw up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad