G Petr Mrazek (2010, 141st overall, Detroit)

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Griffins go 2-4-1, last in division.

Mrazek gets called up. 3-0, 1.30 GAA and .954 SV%. Griffins now 2nd in division.

Worth noting as well that Nyquist is 2nd overall in scoring now.

Discuss.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
the Griffins do have a solid offense their problem has just been defense and goal(in particular trouble holding leads)

Mrazek should make them a solid team

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Is he having a Nyqvist explosion?

Not surprised I listed him as #3 in my top 50 goaler prospects.

Nyquist's explosion doesn't seem to have stopped.

He's pretty much penciling himself into the top six if a CBA gets signed.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
How does Nyquist's game look overall, away from the puck and in the defensive zone? Has he put on some bulk? - he was a twig last year.

The biggest difference this year from last is that he's much stronger on the puck. I don't remember exactly what he was listed at last year but it was in the 170's I believe and now he's at 185lbs, so yeah real significant improvement. He was always good away from the puck, deserving of being called a two-way winger even. Will be exciting to follow if the NHL gets going.

Anyway, the thread's about Mrazek and I was surprised how polished he's looked and his start couldn't have been better. The Griffins have struggled so much with Pearce and McCollum between the pipes and now they've got someone who can win them games. Let's see how he handles it when things have settled a bit.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I can definitely see him becoming an NHL starter at some point. He was absolutely sick at the WJCs, very good for the 67s, and seems to be off to a great start in the AHL. Not as big as most of the top goalies/goalie prospects nowadays, but seems to cover the net well, and is very quick/athletic.

Jackson12

Feb 28, 2008
Ottawa
I loved watching this guy when he was with Ottawa. He makes big saves at important times. Ottawa is not the same team without him between the pipes this year.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I can definitely see him becoming an NHL starter at some point. He was absolutely sick at the WJCs, very good for the 67s, and seems to be off to a great start in the AHL. Not as big as most of the top goalies/goalie prospects nowadays, but seems to cover the net well, and is very quick/athletic.

Pretty much how I think of him. At first I thought ehh not big enough... After last season and the wjc I started getting my hopes up, didn't hurt seeing a smaller guy like Enroth do well either. Give him a couple more years in the AHL, I could see him taking over in Detroit by the time he is 24/25.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
I like him a lot, but the dangerous thing about a goalie who feeds off confidence is if he loses it.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
Pretty much how I think of him. At first I thought ehh not big enough... After last season and the wjc I started getting my hopes up, didn't hurt seeing a smaller guy like Enroth do well either. Give him a couple more years in the AHL, I could see him taking over in Detroit by the time he is 24/25.

Mrazek is 6"1, hes not huge like some goalies but i wouldn't exactly call him small, heck Jimmy Howard is only 6"0.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Mrazek is 6"1, hes not huge like some goalies but i wouldn't exactly call him small, heck Jimmy Howard is only 6"0.
Yeah, he has decent size, just not as big as a lot of the top goalie prospects recently, who have all tended to be around 6'2" - 6'6" (Markstrom 6'6", Lehner 6'4", Campbell 6'4", Vasilevski 6'3", Subban 6'2", Hackett 6'2", etc.). Not a small goalie like Jonathan Bernier, just not a big one either.

He's actually up to 6'2" now, plenty of size for an NHL goalie

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=34797
He's listed at 6' or 6'1" on every other website, including the AHL and OHL websites. He doesn't look particularly big in game, I doubt he's 6'2".

Anyways, I didn't want to make a big deal about his size, just pointing out that he's not huge like a lot of the top goalie prospects have been recently.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yeah, he has decent size, just not as big as a lot of the top goalie prospects recently, who have all tended to be around 6'2" - 6'6" (Markstrom 6'6", Lehner 6'4", Campbell 6'4", Vasilevski 6'3", Subban 6'2", Hackett 6'2", etc.). Not a small goalie like Jonathan Bernier, just not a big one either.

He's listed at 6' or 6'1" on every other website, including the AHL and OHL websites. He doesn't look particularly big in game, I doubt he's 6'2".

Anyways, I didn't want to make a big deal about his size, just pointing out that he's not huge like a lot of the top goalie prospects have been recently.
I actually think size can be a deterrent for some goalies. Goalies have to be quick and athletic. I don't believe they can get by on size alone. It's one thing to be big, but you also have to be quick, that's why I think some of the goalies you mention won't make it. They can't get quick enough.

Wingsfan2965*

Dec 30, 2011
Meh, I'm seeing Lundqvist at 6' 1", Miller at 6' 2", Quick at 6' 1", Howard at 6', Fleury at 6' 2".

I'm not comparing those guys to Mrazek, I'm just saying those guys are all roughly the same height and are some of the best.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I'd like to see him play more. Saw him play at the Juniors last year, I liked his enthusiasm and energy. He was having fun and I liked what I saw in him. However he wasn't the best goalie in that tournament. I'd put him in the top 3 out of the goalies in that tourney with Aittokallio being the most impressive. Both goalies, Mrazek and Aittokallio, stole wins from the US, though obviously one went farther then the other. Anyways, like I said I'm very interested to see how Mrazek's progressing. I personally think he's quite the gem of a goalie prospect, although he does have a ways to go yet.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
He was the most clutch goalie for the 67s in years. You needed a big save and Mrazek would give it to you. I'm not surprised that he's doing well so far in the A. Kid is a gamer. He wants to be the best and wont stop working his butt of until he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad