G Nolan Maier - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2019 Draft)

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Another 16-year-old stud from the WHL. 10 wins in a row, .916 sv% and 2.50 GAA average in that span. He's backstopped a pretty mediocre Saskatoon team to a wild card spot. Nice crop of goalie prospects from the WHL for 2019 with Wolf, Maier, Bilous, and Gauthier. Can't wait to watch his development.

11S50_6211-1024x715.jpg

Reactions: Mrb1p

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I fell in love with his game in his draft year with Yorkton and he's been nothing but impressive of late carrying the Blades into a playoff spot. Think he'll be a high end prospect for next years draft

Reactions: Stive Morgan

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was ridiculous tonight vs the Pats. Stood on his head and made numerous unreal stops that no goalie should make. Ended up with the 1st star after saving 45 of 48. Goalies are voodoo and it's over a year away but he looks like the best goalie for next years draft from the CHL

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah this WHL class is unreal in both top end talent(should be double digit 1st rounders) and depth.

For the goalies Maier is my top choice with Wolf, Gauthier, Miner and Sogaard not far behind. All should be 2nd or 3rd rounder picks.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yeah this WHL class is unreal in both top end talent(should be double digit 1st rounders) and depth.

For the goalies Maier is my top choice with Wolf, Gauthier, Miner and Sogaard not far behind. All should be 2nd or 3rd rounder picks.
I’d be interested to see the 10+ players you have in the 1st round from the WHL.
For me, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Robertson and Byram are the only ones I have in there for sure.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I’d be interested to see the 10+ players you have in the 1st round from the WHL.
For me, Dach, Cozens, Krebs, Robertson and Byram are the only ones I have in there for sure.
Off the top of my head: Dach, Cozens, Byram are top-5 threats. Krebs, Robertson, Hamaliuk are top-15 threats. There’s a very good case for Foote, Korczak, Mutala being in the first round right now. That’s 9. Williams, Toporowski, Barlage are all making noise. Brett Leason is a double over-ager who has been dominating and been rated in the second round by multiple scouting services, although there’s no way he gets into the first round. I’m definitely forgetting some guys.

And if you put Newhook in that group by virtue of “being out west”, it’s 7 definite first round talents, and 10 for which extremelely viable cases may be made.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Off the top of my head: Dach, Cozens, Byram are top-5 threats. Krebs, Robertson, Hamaliuk are top-15 threats. There’s a very good case for Foote, Korczak, Mutala being in the first round right now. That’s 9. Williams, Toporowski, Barlage are all making noise. Brett Leason is a double over-ager who has been dominating and been rated in the second round by multiple scouting services, although there’s no way he gets into the first round. I’m definitely forgetting some guys.

And if you put Newhook in that group by virtue of “being out west”, it’s 7 definite first round talents, and 10 for which extremelely viable cases may be made.
For me Hamaliuk is the only one that I didn’t list that I could see in the first round. I don’t really see Foote, Korczak or Mutala as 1sts. I think as the year goes on and people start to watch Europeans, they move them up lists.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
For me Hamaliuk is the only one that I didn’t list that I could see in the first round. I don’t really see Foote, Korczak or Mutala as 1sts. I think as the year goes on and people start to watch Europeans, they move them up lists.
They’re all really good and performing well, but as you said, there’s a lot of talent in the draft. I would bet that at least one of that group (with Williams added to it) will enter the first round by June, though.

Reactions: Tryamkin

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
How can people get excited for a 16 year old small goalie? Goalies don't get drafted in the 1st round anymore for a reason.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s the USNTDP goaltender, right?

Yes, Knight's back up. Its similar to Oettinger-Woll from a couple of years ago. Potential first round goalie takes all the headlines, then another very talented goalie who won't get the headlines, but has a good chance to get drafted in rounds 2-4.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Yes, Knight's back up. Its similar to Oettinger-Woll from a couple of years ago. Potential first round goalie takes all the headlines, then another very talented goalie who won't get the headlines, but has a good chance to get drafted in rounds 2-4.
What’re his strengths? I see on EP that he’s of pretty average, maybe slightly under average goaltender height.

His stats also don’t look great at first, but hell, neither does Maier’s ~.906 SP, and I consider him a fantastic goalie prospect. Goalies are generally so unpredictable, it’s probably not hugely improbable that someday he could be as good or better than any of the guys commonly ranked ahead of him, including his teammate!

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What’re his strengths? I see on EP that he’s of pretty average, maybe slightly under average goaltender height.

His stats also don’t look great at first, but hell, neither does Maier’s ~.906 SP, and I consider him a fantastic goalie prospect. Goalies are generally so unpredictable, it’s probably not hugely improbable that someday he could be as good or better than any of the guys commonly ranked ahead of him, including his teammate!

Strength is probably his athleticism, but he’s very well rounded. I don’t see many weaknesses, although I’m not a goalie expert. Those stats don’t reflect his play from the games I saw. He’s looked solid just about every game I’ve seen, including a very good display at the AAPG earlier this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad