G Niklas Kokko - Pelicans, Liiga (2022, 58th, SEA)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Looks like Kokko might end up as the backup for Kärpät's Liiga team since Joel Blomqvist has been absolutely terrible in the games he played so far(12 goals allowed in 4 games and pulled two times).

Kokko played 2 periods today vs Sport and one period vs JYP last week, looked very solid overall, much better than Blomqvist.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I don't know this one. I mostly paying h attention to Leinonen and Brennan for goalies.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Update: Now playing for last-place SaiPa in Liiga after their starter (Niclas Westerholm) transferred to Karpat.

To his credit, in six games with the club he is the only goalie with a save percentage above .900 (.908).

Reactions: Brent Burns Beard

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Not much talk about Kokko. Only 5 games (1.99GAA .926%) played this year so far he has looked really good in every game. Should be a starter at the World Juniors so maybe he gets more hype then.

He loves to handle the puck with his stick which is very rare to see in a Finnish goalie.

I don't know, there is just something special about this kid, Seattle got a good one here.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Shutout for Pelicans in his first game with Pelicans after loan from Karpat. Will be interesting to see whether he or veteran Johan Gustafsson handles the bulk of the goaltending after Olkinuora left Liiga for Switzerland.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I can see some potential in this guy. Has size and looks agile.
But he was horrendous at the WJC's. Questionable between the legs and was shaky and overdid lateral moves etc.
Hope he bounces back.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Maybe an interesting name for the World Championships?
Yes and no.

Worlds are a completely different animal what the Sm-Liiga play-offs
- especially for a 20 year old rookie goalie

Personally, i wouldn't pick him, even if Pelicans would win and Kokko would win awards.
Its too soon, let him develop slowly, let him work on his physique.

HE IS ONLY 20.

lets all learn from Kari "Kärppä" Lehtonen, he was destined to become the greatest hockey goalie ever,
if only someone would have told (forced) him to work on his physique.. - quality training to begin with..

Now obviously, Lehtonen is/was on a completely different level but still, one can learn from pasts mistakes.
- sure, Kärppä had a good career 300+ wins, ,912 career sv% and 2.70 career gaa, but it could/should have been HOF career..

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Also, let's not forget he was actually horrendous in the WJC's a couple of months ago. Almost lost some games for us. Don't remember if it was against the US or in the bronze game but the fact people wanted to see both Vali and Vinni get the opportunity in that tournament says it all.

No, like poster above mentioned. Let him mature. I would almost rather see Blomqvist from the AHL or give Tikkanen a look. Annunen and UPL will probably reach the playoffs.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Also, let's not forget he was actually horrendous in the WJC's a couple of months ago. Almost lost some games for us. Don't remember if it was against the US or in the bronze game but the fact people wanted to see both Vali and Vinni get the opportunity in that tournament says it all.

No, like poster above mentioned. Let him mature. I would almost rather see Blomqvist from the AHL or give Tikkanen a look. Annunen and UPL will probably reach the playoffs.
Zero chance UPL goes to the AHL play-offs, as in Buffalo Sabres will not send him there.
I mean, do you see goalie, 25 years old, that has almost 30 W 2.50 gaa, .915 sv% in 60 games, in a single season in the NHL to be sent to the AHL...

Or, did i misunderstood your post.

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah his young age might hinder his changes of making the team. Just feels like a very typical Jalonen move to pick a young sensation to the WC team. (Tolvanen, Kakko, Lundell) But i guess goalies are a bit different.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Zero chance UPL goes to the AHL play-offs, as in Buffalo Sabres will not send him there.
I mean, do you see goalie, 25 years old, that has almost 30 W 2.50 gaa, .915 sv% in 60 games, in a single season in the NHL to be sent to the AHL...

Or, did i misunderstood your post
I mean his as good as saros before. Could easily answer no because of a long season and his first breakout season. He's not as certain and safe in his role as some older stars. (in his franchise that is, Devon Levi etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad