G Nick McBride - Prince George Cougars, WHL (2015 undrafted)

BoDacious Horvat

Sep 1, 2013
Vancouver
Couldn't find a thread on him and was kind of surprised. 12-7-2 for Prince Albert this year, .908% and a 2.95 GAA. He's also starting in the game tonight for PA that decides whether they go to the post season or not. Not too bad for a rookie season. Could he be the best tender available in 2015?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not sure what the rest of the crop is like for 2015 but he was one of few goalies his age that saw decent minutes in the WHL this season (Others included Sawchenko, Schneider, Burman).

He's definitely got some great physical gifts, good size and plays an extremely relaxed style. He should be a pretty high pick, really liked what I saw from him this season and if it wasn't for him, the Raiders deal for Cole Cheveldave would have looked much much worse.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped.

Hasn't been a great first quarter of the season for him as Parenteau has stolen a lot of his minutes in PA. While I still like a lot of his tools, he needs to start putting it together a bit more when he gets his chance at minutes. He's slid a decent amount in my rankings since the start of the year.

From my November WHL rankings:

13 (11) – Nick McBride – G – Prince Albert Raiders – A big and toolsy goaltender who really gets around the crease in a nice fashion. His early-season play hasn’t quite lived up to the expectations I had, but he still has all the tools to be a fantastic goalie prospect. It also helps that he will continue to see major minutes in Prince Albert for the next two seasons after being drafted.

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/11/2015-nhl-draft-rankings-second-edition.html

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Finished the year at #34 on my WHL player ranking list, my 2nd highest rated goalie: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#34 Nick McBride

Team: Prince Albert Raiders
Position: G
Catches: L
Height: 6’3.5
Weight: 179
Record: 13-18-0-1
GAA: 3.41
Save %: .895
Shutouts: 2

Player Analysis: Nick McBride is a big and athletic goaltender for the Prince Albert Raiders…he moves around the crease with both power and fluidity…is quite technically sound and refined in his stance and in the way he moves…did show a tendency to over-commit during his movement at times and subsequently would lose his net…has a tall stance which allows him to both take up a lot of net and also allow him to explode into his next position based on puck movement…when he’s on his game, he’s square to the puck and really tracks the puck well…rebound control was extremely hit and miss within the season…was lights out some nights and other nights he left half a dozen sloppy pucks around his crease…his overall pad use would be a strength in my mind, albeit inconsistent…when he’s playing well he has confident feet and really kicks his pads out, knocking the puck to clean and safe spots…had some issues during scrambles for loose pucks as he would swim a lot instead of staying calm, anchoring down his position and relying on his size…showed a tendency to give up fairly frequent soft goals in my viewings…caught him very early in the year and he looked good (top 90 pick good), but really struggled from that point forward…regular issues, sloppy play and weak goals against made me question his confidence and overall mental toughness…entered the year as far and away my top ranked WHL goalie but inconsistent play dropped him down my list and led Rylan Parenteau to steal the Raiders crease from him for parts of the season…put up a 11-save clean-slate performance at the Top Prospects Game and that seemed to give him a big confidence boost for the last couple months of the season…his best month of the season was March where he went 5-1-0-1 with a .922 save percentage…won the WHL’s Scholastic Player Of The Year in 2014-15…was a 2nd round selection, 23rd overall, by the Prince Albert Raiders at the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I see McBride as still being a draftable goaltender despite his multitude of issues this season…he has a good frame and plenty of technical skill…while I originally figured he might play his way into the top 90 selections at the draft, I no longer rank him that high…I would rate him as a 6th or 7th round prospect and will be interested to see if other teams can see past his mental struggles this year and take him any higher than that…if he can overcome his tough season and show steady development both physically and mentally, he surely has the size and skillset to be an NHL goaltender…

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
He was decent at the Kings' dev camp. Wonder if they'll give him another look...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad