G Mason McDonald (2014, 34th, CGY)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
This guy is going to be one of the next great goalies for the QMJHL, he is big, excellent positional game, acrobatic when he has to be, has a very good mental game, sees pucks very well through traffic and is probably the best puck handling goalie I have seen next to Brodeur with the puck. Keep an eye on this guy he could very well turn out to be a great one.

At 6'03/160 pounds, his record was 14 wins and 1 loss.....he had a 2.03 GAA and a .920 SVPTG with 1 shoutout.....

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Only saw him play once but he was definitely the name I remembered from that game. The other team looked so frustrated, they just couldn't seem to get any good angles on him.
Also, the Metro News article out today says that he is 175lbs now, don't know if that's true, there always seems to be conflicting numbers when it comes to weight.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
This kid just became infinitely more valuable with the Q removing the trapezoid next season. :laugh:

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
This kid just became infinitely more valuable with the Q removing the trapezoid next season. :laugh:

:laugh: That is the first thing I thought when I read the article about the rule changes and he hasn't even played a Q game yet.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Wish he played at the Ivan Hlinka but this kid is easily in my top 5 of kids I can't wait to watch in the coming QMJHL season.

I remember thinking scoutman was overrating him before I went to one of Halifax's games to watch Jacob Fancy and Mason McDonald was playing instead. Hopefully Jacob Brennan doesn't steal too many games from him this season.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
I was very impressed with McDonald tonight. He didn't start the game (not sure why) but played the final 2 periods and looked very solid.

Ran into an NHL scout and he had very high praise for McDonald as well. I thought it was pretty strange but he said "as a rule they do not take goalies in the first 2 rounds", but if he's left in the 3rd they jump all over the chance of taking him.

Any idea what round he's projected to get picked?

Brandel*

I was very impressed with McDonald tonight. He didn't start the game (not sure why) but played the final 2 periods and looked very solid.

Ran into an NHL scout and he had very high praise for McDonald as well. I thought it was pretty strange but he said "as a rule they do not take goalies in the first 2 rounds", but if he's left in the 3rd they jump all over the chance of taking him.

Any idea what round he's projected to get picked?

Im guessing 2nd - 3rd

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Im guessing 2nd - 3rd

i agree to the ranking you give him, to go 1st round now as a goalie you have to be exceptional and even then it will be hard....i am not one to like that type of drafting, i mean yes teams have gotten a goalie in the draft in late rounds but there have been A LOT of players on defense and forward who were take late round as well....just because crazy Milbury took Dipietro 1st overall......goalies like Rask, Fleury, Lehtonen, Price, Luongo, Schnieder, Bernier....they all turned out in who is current....of course you can say the same about forwards who never turned out in the first and guys who turned out in the 5th and 6th rounds.....IMO if the player has potential to be a game breaker well take him where he should be....I think a lot of teams rush these young goalies too much and do not give them a chance to develop well and imo is why some goalies end up busting........

now getting back on topic Mason IMO should be IMO a 2nd to 3rd rounder this year, he was playing on the worst developmental team and worst team for a young guy in the CHL in Bathurst and is now out of there and IMO is doing well on a good Islander team now.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Nice to see another goalie available for this draft being mentioned besides Thatcher Demko, will be interesting to see where he ends up.

MRM7

Mar 25, 2013
Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton Mar 21
In @QMJHL playoff action @IslandersHKY @mmcdonald96 faces 51 shots vs. @HFXMooseheads Stood tall vs. an offensive juggernaut.

Craig Button ‏@CraigJButton 1h
In @QMJHL playoff action @IslandersHKY @mmcdonald96 facing 49 shots in 7-1 loss to Halifax. That's 100 shots in 1st 2 games. #2014NHLDraft

Nice to see some recognition for Mason! Stood on his head the last 2 games against a far superior Halifax team.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Without mason that game wouldve been 15-1! Mason is one of the best goalies in the Q and will definitely be a great addition to any team that drafts him! Way to go Mase!

IMO solid Second round pick

ZeroPT*

I've read a bit on this guy but it's hard to get a read on him. Seeing as I've seen him play twice, I'd love if someone with more viewings of him could drop a scouting report on him.

Thanks in advance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad