G Malcolm Subban (2012, 24th overall, Boston)

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Bulls_Yellow.jpg

Malcolm Subban, G, Belleville Bulls, OHL

HEIGHT: 6' 1" | WEIGHT: 188 | CATCHES: Left
BORN: December 21, 1993, Toronto, ON, CAN

FINAL RANK: tbd | MIDTERM RANK: 1

2011-12: 39 games, 25-14-0, 2.50 goals-against average, 3 shutouts, .923 save percentage

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=625180

Self Assessment:
Comparison - Marc-Andre Fleury
Best asset - "Lateral ability, using my size and flexibility."
Where do you need improvement - "Rebound control, playing the puck."

NHL Central Scouting: "I see Malcolm as Carey Price," Central Scouting's Al Jensen said. "He's calm and poised. I find Fleury as more of an acrobatic goalie and getting out there but Malcolm is very good with his positioning with outstanding lateral ability and quickness. He can make the big save to turn a game around but he covers post-to-post so well with his butterfly. His leg extension is incredible and he has a very quick glove hand."​

TSN Mid Term Rankings: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=58415

Brother of NHL defenceman PK Subban has battled injuries this season, missing five weeks with a sprained ankle early in the season and then injuring his groin over Christmas and missing another five weeks (along with an opportunity to represent Canada at the WJC).

Strengths: Athletic, competitive and never gives up on a play. Extremely quick and mobile and takes up a lot of net. He reads the play well, has decent rebound control with a quick glove and pads.

Weaknesses: Like most young goalies, he needs to work on his consistency and can't get too down when he lets in a bad goal. There are concerns that he may be injury prone.

NHL upside: If he stays healthy, has the natural ability and competitive fire to be a starting goalie in the NHL.​

TSN Risers/Fallers: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=388658

"Subban has started seven OHL games since returning from a groin injury on Feb. 4 and seen his goals against average rise from 1.98 to 2.47 thanks to a 3.77 GAA during that period. He has been pulled in two games, including nine minutes into a game in Ottawa after surrendering three goals on ten shots.

""Based on his performance in the past couple of weeks he has to be falling in the ranks,"" said one NHL scout who had Subban in his top 20 earlier in the season. ""You have to be concerned about his durability, and also the type of injury he just had. Groin injuries have a tendency to reoccur."" Subban missed five weeks with a sprained ankle early in the season, and then injured his groin over Christmas and missed another five weeks. If the struggles continue expect him to drop out of the first round on most team's draft charts."​

Brothers Subban thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=844313

Last edited:

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Watching him last night, he looked like Bryzgalov in net.

Watched him last night as well and a few other games. I will say, the scout has it spot on, he looks identical to Price in the net. Big, great positionally and great side to side goalie.

His rebound control is questionable though, they explode off him into the slot but thats to be expected of a goalie his age. The crazy thing is, he just recently picked up goaltending I think, like 12-13 or something. The upside is limitless with this guy. I think he will be a top 10 goalie in this league, he has everything required for it, the heart, the drive, the skill, the athleticism.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if that answers the question :laugh:

Too bad Vasilevski isn't playing in major-junior(highly doubt he crosses the pond for it next year as well), would love to see how they compare in the same league.

Top 3 goalies rated in the draft are Vasilevski, Subban and Sweden's Oscar Dansk. Who goes first really depends on which one a team likes more.

There's no Jack Campbell, Jon Bernier, etc. here. No real clear cut guy.

Vasilevski, may be hurt by the Russian factor. Always worried that if he doesn't succeed early, he'll go to the KHL when his deal expires.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Subban should be the 1st goalie selected, seen him play about 7 times this year.

Havn't seen Dansk and saw a little bit of Vasilevski form World Jr's but I would still go Subban over the other 2

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
maybe Vancouver can jump on Malcom. Given Luongo's age a young goalie would be perfect. Right as Luongo leaves, Malcom would be 24-26.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
maybe Vancouver can jump on Malcom. Given Luongo's age a young goalie would be perfect. Right as Luongo leaves, Malcom would be 24-26.

Yah more stud goalies. Still have to deal with Schneider, Lack (who is tracking at least ads well as Schneider) and Cannata.

Meanwhile forward prospects are shallow.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I would think teams would have to be a little gunshy about drafting him in the first round. Relative lack of refinement and some injury concerns would trump athleticism IMO.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
I go to school in Belleville so I got to see him play quite a bit. This guy's awesome. Sure he has his bad games, but so does every goalie. His first game back after missing so long with that ankle injury, he makes like 38 saves in a 2-1 win over the defending OHL champs. I was at that game and man, did he ever look locked in. He's the only reason the Bulls are in the playoffs this year, they're pretty terrible without him. I'm looking forward to seeing where he gets drafted, and watching him play more next year

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
Not sure if that answers the question :laugh:

Too bad Vasilevski isn't playing in major-junior(highly doubt he crosses the pond for it next year as well), would love to see how they compare in the same league.

Tolpar (Vasilevski's current team) is a MHL-A team (MHL-A and MHL are used interchangeably; MHL-B is not a major junior league btw) so he is technically playing major junior, since the MHL is the Russian major junior league. So Vasilevski actually is playing major junior hockey, unless you're aware of a VHL/KHL callup that I missed.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Would Tambellini Be Smart To Take Malcom Subban At 32nd If Available

Mmmm...why the **** not? It's not exactly the greatest draft of all time, so if Edmonton wants to look at goaltending and he's still on the table (note: would not be surprised to see Vasilevski go in the first round), they could do far worse than a guy who, for all his inconsistencies, still put up impressive numbers and is very athletic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad