G Mads Søgaard - Medicine Hat Tigers, WHL (2019, 37th, OTT)

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He is gonna rise in the rankings.. He already has from the start of the season till now. Watch for a massive jump the last half

Reactions: Stive Morgan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Getting lit up, not his fault though.
Oh it certainly is. If the score was 6-0 then you can say something, but in a 14-0 game then every single player from the goaler to the coach was to blame there. He looked like he was too big for the style he wanted to play. Canada forwards opened him up and made him move laterally which abused his five-hole. The athleticism and size is there, but not sure if the positioning is there yet (which should come with a goaler coach).

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Oh it certainly is. If the score was 6-0 then you can say something, but in a 14-0 game then every single player from the goaler to the coach was to blame there. He looked like he was too big for the style he wanted to play. Canada forwards opened him up and made him move laterally which abused his five-hole. The athleticism and size is there, but not sure if the positioning is there yet (which should come with a goaler coach).
He wasn’t in goal for the last three goals, but yes I get your point.

Also note the comment you quoted was made around 6/7-0

Last edited:
Reactions: NLRAIDERS

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
41 save shutout against the powerhouse Everett Silvertips tonight. When will people start paying more attention to this guy? He's exactly the kind of goaltender who can steal games or even a series.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sogaard should be in 2nd round territory and is the best eligible WHL goalie by a country mile, and it’s absolutely bizarre to see where he’s ranked and some of the guys ahead of him.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Sogaard should be in 2nd round territory and is the best eligible WHL goalie by a country mile, and it’s absolutely bizarre to see where he’s ranked and some of the guys ahead of him.
People have unfairly dropped him due to the WJC. It’s where the people that don’t watch actual games got to see him play and take a look at the score line and write him off.

Reactions: Ebbisen

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
People have unfairly dropped him due to the WJC. It’s where the people that don’t watch actual games got to see him play and take a look at the score line and write him off.

He was ranked poorly before that as well.

It’s insanity to have some 6’0 guy like Wolf rated ahead of him.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
He was ranked poorly before that as well.

It’s insanity to have some 6’0 guy like Wolf rated ahead of him.
And Wolf looks even smaller than 6’0 if you’ve ask me. He plays like he looks, he doesn’t play bigger than he is. Jhonas Enroth is an example of someone who’s 5’10 and plays like he’s much taller.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Doesn't it matter how a goalie stops the puck?

I have Sogaard ahead of Wolf though that isn't an indictment against Wolf. Sogaard shows a lot of potential and having NHL size as well as knowing how to use it certainly doesn't hurt. Wolf though is a complete wild card and I'm very excited about him. In a NHL draft it's goalies who are "getting it". With Wolf he "get's it". Wolf understands not just goaltending but goaltending at the pro level. I'd take him in the 4th and hope he becomes the next Saros.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have Sogaard ahead of Wolf though that isn't an indictment against Wolf. Sogaard shows a lot of potential and having NHL size as well as knowing how to use it certainly doesn't hurt. Wolf though is a complete wild card and I'm very excited about him. In a NHL draft it's goalies who are "getting it". With Wolf he "get's it". Wolf understands not just goaltending but goaltending at the pro level. I'd take him in the 4th and hope he becomes the next Saros.

I think thats a reasonable opinion. I just don't know why someone would act like its some insult that a goalie who is the height or right around the height of a couple of successful goalies in the league right now could be ranked ahead of Sogaard.

I've not seen that much of Sogaard, but usually goalies his height struggle to move side to side. I would be a lot more worried about a 6'7 goalie not being able to move side to side than a 6'0 goalie not being able to fill up enough of the net.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think thats a reasonable opinion. I just don't know why someone would act like its some insult that a goalie who is the height or right around the height of a couple of successful goalies in the league right now could be ranked ahead of Sogaard.

I've not seen that much of Sogaard, but usually goalies his height struggle to move side to side. I would be a lot more worried about a 6'7 goalie not being able to move side to side than a 6'0 goalie not being able to fill up enough of the net.

His side-to-side movement isn't much of a concern because he generally doesn't allow it to be something he needs to rely on. He knows he has a massive frame and if he sticks to a confined box of movement then lateral movement won't be something that can be exploited easily. My personal biggest concern with Sogaard is he goes further than anticipating the pass, he'll commit to it. He'll start leaning and putting his body weight onto one side of his body getting ready for the pass. If the pass happens he can handle it. If it doesn't he'll be in trouble. It's something I haven't noticed WHL shooters taking advantage of yet.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad